Ads not shown when logged in
Page 333 of 426 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire

Now that's how to restock your beer!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4413931.html
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

"estimates the UK's 39,000 pubs have, on average, "
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52199185
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

from the people behind the Euston Tap etc
    https://twitter.com/hackneytap
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Nice picture of Sheffield Hatter on Tired Martins blog but wierdy tickers ?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Nice picture of Sheffield Hatter on Tired Martins blog but wierdy tickers ?
    Aye, well, um, I usually avoid Martin's Tired Blog, a) because he's boring (although not as much as that Paul Bailey bloke) and b) I don't share his odd politics although that's more a Twatter thing. No real surprise about the ill-informed weirdy ticker comment - that only applies to some of us and lucky for him he hasn't met us all.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    No real surprise about the ill-informed weirdy ticker comment - that only applies to some of us and lucky for him he hasn't met us all.
    I think some kind of barrier has gone up between the people who regularly contribute on this forum and those who appear on the curmudgeon's Beer & Pubs forum. Martin's comments about "weirdy tickers" are one side of it, and the hostility of some people on here about "boring brown beer" are the other side. I think there's only me and Mick who appear regularly on both sides of this barricade, fielding clods of earth and the occasional airborne cowpat; and I'm not saying that we should be trying to establish a sort of peace or brotherhood. Far from it. I like some of the acerbity that forms part of our online dialogue, both here and in the other place; it's the sort of stuff that people who know each other well would exchange over a pint or six down the pub. The trouble is, we're not down the pub, and not likely to be for some time.

I know some of you guys, and I know some of them. (Though not well for the most part, and I dare say my hackles would rise at some of the political affiliations that some hold, both here and there, which is one reason why I avoid Twitter.) Sometimes I see stuff on here, and I see stuff on there, and I wince. If some of you anti-BBBers could read some of the comments on here through the eyes of someone who genuinely enjoys drinking beers like Bass and Pedigree, you'd wince too. Similarly Martin, who has a great sense of humour and a twinkle in his eye (which perhaps doesn't come across well online), might be rubbing you guys up the wrong way without appreciating that it might be hurtful. We're all pub-lovers, each one dedicated to beer & pubs in our own way; we all deserve respect. OK, I said I wasn't trying to negotiate a peace, and I'm not. Just asking if we could (oh god) try to be a bit sensitive to other people's feelings.

I'll get me hat.

What am I saying - I'm at home. Youse lot all feck off out of it!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    … someone who genuinely enjoys drinking beers like Bass and Pedigree
    That will be me then!

I think some kind of barrier has gone up between the people who regularly contribute on this forum and those who appear on the curmudgeon's Beer & Pubs forum. Martin's comments about "weirdy tickers" are one side of it, and the hostility of some people on here about "boring brown beer" are the other side. I think there's only me and Mick who appear regularly on both sides of this barricade, fielding clods of earth and the occasional airborne cowpat; and I'm not saying that we should be trying to establish a sort of peace or brotherhood. Far from it. I like some of the acerbity that forms part of our online dialogue, both here and in the other place; it's the sort of stuff that people who know each other well would exchange over a pint or six down the pub. The trouble is, we're not down the pub, and not likely to be for some time.

I know some of you guys, and I know some of them. (Though not well for the most part, and I dare say my hackles would rise at some of the political affiliations that some hold, both here and there, which is one reason why I avoid Twitter.) Sometimes I see stuff on here, and I see stuff on there, and I wince. If some of you anti-BBBers could read some of the comments on here through the eyes of someone who genuinely enjoys drinking beers like Bass and Pedigree, you'd wince too. Similarly Martin, who has a great sense of humour and a twinkle in his eye (which perhaps doesn't come across well online), might be rubbing you guys up the wrong way without appreciating that it might be hurtful. We're all pub-lovers, each one dedicated to beer & pubs in our own way; we all deserve respect. OK, I said I wasn't trying to negotiate a peace, and I'm not. Just asking if we could (oh god) try to be a bit sensitive to other people's feelings.

I'll get me hat.

What am I saying - I'm at home. Youse lot all feck off out of it!
    I'm definitely not in the BBB appreciation society, I don't (intentionally) deride anyone who is although as Will mentions things don't always come across online as intended, I know I've made Will and others probably wince at times. I get on fine with the the others on the other side and vice versa regardless of beer preference and even sometimes in pub types. Regarding Martin he's a great bloke, obsessive in his blogging, three a day in normal times and 99% of the time his comments are very much tongue in cheek, even his supposed obsession with Bass, he drinks and enjoys all beer types.
    Anyway Horses for courses I suppose.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I think some kind of barrier has gone up between the people who regularly contribute on this forum and those who appear on the curmudgeon's Beer & Pubs forum... !
    I don't see myself as being on any side of any barrier. My preferred beers are generally dark but I will and do drink any kind of beer, what other people choose to drink is their choice and none of my business. I dislike the Camra type dinosaurs who think beers must be brown and made with Fuggles or Goldings as much as the lager drinkers who try to put me right about vinegary beer with twigs in, I would rather they all just wrapped up and kept their beaks out.

I don't have much time for those, whom I consider deluded, who believe for example Bass is the wonderful beer it once was and laud it as such, still that's their opinion and I don't have to drink the stuff. I drank quite a lot of it when it was a good beer. I could say the same about Doombar, Pedigree, Gales HSB, etc, etc.

I have no problem with Retired Martin, his attempts at humour or his beery opinions but as I said I avoid his blog because I find it boring, I speak for no-one but myself.

Protzs Pleasure.JPG

I'm in agreement with OB above.
    What annoys me most about this National Bass Day thing is the way that Roger Protz blatantly used his WB editorial to support it despite it not being approved CAMRA policy. I got some bog rolls after all the panic buying so still have the WB and can quote his exact words.

One cask beer in urgent need of life support is Draught Bass. 11 April is National Bass Day. Please support it, encourage publicans free of the tie to stock it and get as many friends as possible to drink it.
    As far as I'm concerned he should be sacked by CAMRA as what sort of message is this sending out to other brewers and younger CAMRA members who can only dream about how great Bass actually was before they ruined it.
    The reason Bass has been side-lined is entirely due to the promotion of Doom Bore by Mouldy Corpse. If they were serious about it they would have given the Bass Museum people a free rein to do it.
    As for the Proper Twats, I actually met Tired Martin in the Stourbridge Queens Head. I had no idea who he was and was at least 50% trolleyed. It was just after the landlady had been showing me her box of pump clips and there was talk of Vocation beers from Hebden Bridge. He mentioned the Taylor's Hare & Hounds near there and we were both very pleased that we had both visited it and liked it. He seemed like just any other beer enthusiast to me.