Ads not shown when logged in
Page 328 of 426 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Quite honestly, the fact that CAMRA members are supporting a product from the global abomination Mouldy Corpse turns my stomach. The genuine Real Ale Twats are the likes of me (proudly so) and most of the others on this site. The national Bass day brigade are a load of idiots giving unwitting support to a global abomination that only deserves to be vilified.
    I know where you are coming from but frankly anything that persuades the corporate bean counters that there is still a viable market for cask ale must have some good sides, and might just help keep a real brewing line open next time the hatchet is falling.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I know where you are coming from but frankly anything that persuades the corporate bean counters that there is still a viable market for cask ale must have some good sides, and might just help keep a real brewing line open next time the hatchet is falling.
    To be fair to Mouldy Corpse, they have kept the Heritage brewery (formerly the Bass Museum) going and if anyone should have brewed Bass it should have been them. In the Derby Babington JDW I recently had a Massey's Mild which was excellent but I still don't trust the parent company.

Quite honestly, the fact that CAMRA members are supporting a product from the global abomination Mouldy Corpse turns my stomach. The genuine Real Ale Twats are the likes of me (proudly so) and most of the others on this site. The national Bass day brigade are a load of idiots giving unwitting support to a global abomination that only deserves to be vilified.
    Camra is the Campaign for Real Ale, not the campaign for beer produced by brewers that you approve of!

OK, so Bass is not brewed the same way or with the same ingredients as 30 or 40 years ago. OK, so it's owned by a faceless, multinational conglomerate that cares not a fig for real ale. OK, so it doesn't have new world hops or a cartoon on the pump-clip or an abv in the low teens. When well kept, it's still a pretty good beer.

I have met the guy who is behind this National Bass Day - I don't think you should call him an idiot if you haven't met him and listened to what he has to say. He seems to be a well-balanced individual, who sees an opportunity to stir up some appreciation for a good beer that can be found in good British pubs, and doesn't mind sticking his neck out. The well-known Bass red triangle is an appropriate flag to rally around. It gives an opportunity for licensees who keep a very good Bass in their otherwise unexceptionable pubs to talk about their beer to regulars and one-offs with a chance to get them interested in something that's a little better than Carling. Wasn't that one of the aims of Camra?

That doesn't mean that if you don't like "Mouldy Corpse" you HAVE TO drink Bass on Easter Saturday, or that if you think it's a shame that they don't allow Marstons to use the union sets you HAVE TO drink Bass on Easter Saturday, or that you HAVE TO even acknowledge that supporting National Bass Day is quite a positive, harmless way to promote British beer in British pubs. I don't say that you're not within your rights to slag the whole thing off as much as you like, but is that really the best way of supporting the aims of the Campaign for Real Ale?

Perhaps it wouldn't do you any harm to take a day off on April 11th and self-isolate - just for one day. It could do wonders for your blood pressure!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 15-03-2020 at 00:02.
    Come On You Hatters!

#bloodpressure galore, calm down ladies. 😊    I last had a pint of Bass a couple of weeks ago in The Star Inn in Bath, poured via the jug in a wonderful pub, needless to say the beer itself though not in any way offensive, it does little for me and I'm certainly not inspired to be celebrating it on the 11th of April,or any other day come to that, I too have met and know some of the people championing this day,though not the Wicking Man,and of course they are good people, just our tastes in beer differ, we share a love of pubs, so no axe to grind for me but I don't plan to be self isolating on the 11th, just drinking something quite different.
    Now where's those tablets.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I quite like Bass (if well kept), and London Pride (ditto)… especially as a change from the 'choice' of pale ales that some places now stock (or Doom Bar).

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    OK, so Bass is not brewed the same way or with the same ingredients as 30 or 40 years ago. OK, so it's owned by a faceless, multinational conglomerate that cares not a fig for real ale. OK, so it doesn't have new world hops or a cartoon on the pump-clip or an abv in the low teens. When well kept, it's still a pretty good beer.
    I would dispute your claim that it's still a pretty good beer not mediocre rubbish. It's even debatable as to whether it's a real ale as like Pedigree and others from Marston it uses the new fangled yeast that drops in hours rather than days. What sort of message is this crazy scheme sending to younger or newer CAMRA members? It would be more appropriate to have a Wake for Bass rather than a celebration. If Mouldy Corpse were serious about Bass they would have got the Heritage brewery to recreate it on their own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I too have met and know some of the people championing this day,though not the Wicking Man,and of course they are good people, just our tastes in beer differ, we share a love of pubs.
    A number of the people behind this are anti micropub, anti JDW and claim that they are are only prepared to drink beer from a brewery that's been around within their living memory in a pub of similar vintage. This is their public claim even if they are prepared to go somewhere like Codsall Station which is a relatively recent conversion of an old station building or JDW imitations if they open before midday.To me it all smacks of hypocrisy.

I don't know what those characters are in your post after the word "ladies" but they are preventing me from using the Reply With Quote feature. It just locks up.

A number of the people behind this are anti micropub, anti JDW and claim that they are are only prepared to drink beer from a brewery that's been around within their living memory in a pub of similar vintage. This is their public claim even if they are prepared to go somewhere like Codsall Station which is a relatively recent conversion of an old station building or JDW imitations if they open before midday.To me it all smacks of hypocrisy.

I don't know what those characters are in your post after the word "ladies" but they are preventing me from using the Reply With Quote feature. It just locks up.
    I find I am unable to edit my post?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I quite like Bass (if well kept), and London Pride (ditto)… especially as a change from the 'choice' of pale ales that some places now stock (or Doom Bar).
    My pet dislike is pubs that stock several beers that are all bitters of low to medium abv say 3.8% to 4.3%. In some places this happens due to circumstances but in others it's policy. Equally, it must annoy some to find a pub where virtually everything is 4.8% plus. A genuine choice is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I find I am unable to edit my post?
    I think it's the presence of those characters. Editing the post uses the same routine as Reply With Quote.
    Another problem I have is opening a thread with a long title. I can only access it from the recent post feature on the right side of the main site after someone has posted.