Ads not shown when logged in
Page 327 of 426 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    " has sunk a pint in every city in England – and has just visited his 11,000th different pub"
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...-11000-3896658
    I'm not sure what the significance of drinking in every English city is. I don;t have a list of them but would be surprised if they came to over 100. Wales is another matter as I know I'm missing one of the six, namely St Asaph. I've never been there, know it's in NE Wales eerrrr that's it!
    I've been to all five of his favourite pubs and am glad he included the JDW Imperial but there were pubs I much preferred in Alton & Newcastle Staffs.
    I'm missing one of his beers & breweries as I don't believe I've had a Cloudwater beer. Stay Puft is good but rather sweet and as for Pedigree he looks old enough to know that it's not the beer it was over 25 years ago. I don't know Leatherbritches that well but on most days Salopian is my favourite.
    It's a more plausible claim than that one some time ago. I very much doubt if I've been to as many pubs as the pack leaders on this site. With few exceptions, I find myself taking extended stays in favoured venues nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Wales is another matter as I know I'm missing one of the six, namely St Asaph. I've never been there, know it's in NE Wales eerrrr that's it!
    Looks like you're not missing much! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/s...central/clwyd/ (Custodian 42 has been there, and there are no beers stronger than
    4.5% in the whole city.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Looks like you're not missing much! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/s...central/clwyd/ (Custodian 42 has been there, and there are no beers stronger than 4.5% in the whole city.)
    Well we all have different criteria for making towns/cities worth visiting, St Asaph is chapel country of course so may be a bit lack lustre. It would be useful if there were informative reviews for all the pubs; Alan H has done his best and there is WhatPub but that usually pulls its punches.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

St Asaph has a population of around 3,000, I actually think having ten open pubs is pretty impressive for a place of that size!

This Space For Hire

Lidl plans to open pub in supermarket. Makes a welcome change from people converting pubs into supermarkets I suppose.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Stones Bitter to return to Sheffield pubs with original recipe.

With the recent outpouring of love for draught Bass culminating in National Bass Day, on April 11th, I wonder if there if there will be anything like the same enthusiasm shown for the return this beer. I suspect not.

https://www.exposedmagazine.co.uk/ne...iginal-recipe/

It was notorious for giving drinkers severe morning after headaches, as commentators on some social media sites have noted and was nicknamed 'Yellow Peril', accordingly. I seem to recall a few of my own.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    With the recent outpouring of love for draught Bass culminating in National Bass Day, on April 11th, I wonder if there if there will be anything like the same enthusiasm shown for the return this beer. I suspect not.

It was notorious for giving drinkers severe morning after headaches, as commentators on some social media sites have noted and was nicknamed 'Yellow Peril', accordingly. I seem to recall a few of my own.
    I remember Stones, or was it Wards,from a visit to I think Rotherham in about 1976.Can't remember much about it, to be fair. Stones used to be available in the free trade in Kent for some time, though it took a lot for anything to wean me off my Fremlins.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

We used to drink the keg version and Charrington's Toby at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23082/ over 35 years ago. I can't remember it but suspect that it was none too memorable.

This Space For Hire

It was a fairly indifferent regional Bass beer as I remember it, if slightly stronger than the average, although I see it won Silver in the Bitter category of Champion Beer of Britain in 1991 (probably due to heavy voting by devotees). Subsequently it became keg only to a much watered-down recipe. Amusingly the cask version was also relaunched in 2006 as "how it used to taste" but had fizzled out by 2011.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I suspect I may jave drank Stones but don't recall anything about it so what I'm saying now applies to all of this ridiculous nostalgia for defunct beers whether it be Brakspear, King & Barnes, Davenports (which was crap anyway), M & B (ditto crap), Shipstones, Charrington's IPA (crap and the new beer had no resemblance to the original). One of the best that hasn't been attempted is 1970s Boddingtons but with so many great beers from new breweries what's the point? None of these have worked and I can speak with certainty about Brakspear and K & B.
    The worst thing of al,l is this ludicrous National Bass Day. This was triggered off by (I suspect) a slightly senior moment of nostalgia by Roger Protz. I know for a fact that he is older than me so must be fully aware that the Bass of today bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the Bass of the 1970s. He also must remember the furore in CAMRA when Bass ditched the Union fermenters which marked it's decline. I was chatting to a former publican in Derby recently who said outright that Bass AND Pedigree are crap today because of the use of inferior ingredients and the quick drop yeast. The Union fermenters are now producing a crap Pedigree.
    Quite honestly, the fact that CAMRA members are supporting a product from the global abomination Mouldy Corpse turns my stomach. The genuine Real Ale Twats are the likes of me (proudly so) and most of the others on this site. The national Bass day brigade are a load of idiots giving unwitting support to a global abomination that only deserves to be vilified.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 14-03-2020 at 22:03.