Ads not shown when logged in
Page 326 of 426 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336376 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

*Which raises another question. How many JDW punters join Camra just to get the vouchers? I'm not being critical, fine if they do, more money for the Campaign.
    I know someone who probably did. I would imagine for many the general discount is as big a draw. It's worth 40p a pint in the local Bell.
    I took out Life membership for £100.00 in 1990. The trouble is that I can;t resign over issues such as National Bass Day!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

*Which raises another question. How many JDW punters join Camra just to get the vouchers? I'm not being critical, fine if they do, more money for the Campaign.
    There are also pubs which do a discount outside the voucher scheme, I know of an Ossett pub where a lot of the regulars joined Camra just for the discount there and at the 'spoons down the road. There's also discounted entry to beer festivals to add in, so a fair number of the almost 200,000 could be in it for the savings hence Camra's reluctance to drop the schemes. There was a motion passed at a recent AGM trying to limit aggressive claiming of pub discounts by the greedier members.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There are also pubs which do a discount outside the voucher scheme, I know of an Ossett pub where a lot of the regulars joined Camra just for the discount there and at the 'spoons down the road. There's also discounted entry to beer festivals to add in, so a fair number of the almost 200,000 could be in it for the savings hence Camra's reluctance to drop the schemes. There was a motion passed at a recent AGM trying to limit aggressive claiming of pub discounts by the greedier members.
    The membership in Rochdale has grown considerably in the last couple of years as ALL the town centre cask ale pubs give a CAMRA discount of some sort.

I blame the bloke who persuaded The Baum to offer a discount many years ago and it just spread.

All 3 new cask ale openings offered a discount from day 1 as well with another 2 in the pipeline.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There are also pubs which do a discount outside the voucher scheme,
    I rarely find myself in a 'Spoons, and have never knowingly patronised a Stonegate, so my vouchers are lurking in a drawer, and have probably expired.
    I feel pennypinching asking for a CAMRA discount in a normal pub,and I have never been offered one.Am I right in thinking that the landlord bears the cost?
    Mrs W has a small nursery business selling plants at Farmers Markets and fairs,and we get irritated by one off punters asking for a discount on low ticket items. Naturally, we reward regular customers over the course of a season in the same way as I was rewarded by the Guv'nor when I was a regular in his pub.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    ...Am I right in thinking that the landlord bears the cost?
    You are correct whether that's Wetherspoons, Stonegate or the Red Lion, in the case of the vouchers Camra just distributes and publicises them, for single pubs Camra branches usually put them in a list in a local mag'.

This Space For Hire

I feel pennypinching asking for a CAMRA discount in a normal pub,and I have never been offered one.
    Try the Tapping the Admiral - I've always been asked if I have a CAMRA card!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Try the Tapping the Admiral - I've always been asked if I have a CAMRA card!
    Same here, always been asked if I'm a CAMRA member in there,I must have the look, I blame the people I drink with.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I feel pennypinching asking for a CAMRA discount in a normal pub,and I have never been offered one.
    If the pub offer it up, go for it, they are prepared to take the hit.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

When on manoeuvres I often forget about CAMRA discount but if I'm stopping for several pints which is more likely nowadays I always try and remember. The local Bell does 10% discount which means 40p a pint less. I went to one in SE London that did a huge 20% discount. Sadly it was a horrible place full of TV screens but the beer was OK.

" has sunk a pint in every city in England – and has just visited his 11,000th different pub"
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...-11000-3896658
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"