Ads not shown when logged in
Page 284 of 359 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 3587

Thread: Random news of the day

  1. #2831
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    "Lion has unveiled plans to open a 557 sq m, six hectolitre brewery, taproom and restaurant for Little Creatures"
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/alcohol/...592426.article
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  2. #2832
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,158

    Default

    Apparently, an initial phone call to Humphrey Smith, to gauge his interest, caused his head to explode.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  3. #2833
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Apparently, an initial phone call to Humphrey Smith, to gauge his interest, caused his head to explode.
    Ha Ha nice one.

  4. #2834
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    More common sense ( ) regarding beer and pubs from bonny Scotland,

    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...ng-law-3489594


    they really have lost the plot north of the border see also minimum unit pricing and drink drive limits .

  5. #2835
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

  6. #2836
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You'd think they'd get a native Welsh speaker to do the translating. I know they exist in Welsh supermarkets; when I was last in the Portmadoc - sorry - Porthmadog Tesco, a female member of staff approached, asking me in Welsh if I wanted help. When I responded "Sorry?" she walked off.
    On reflection, perhaps she was saying "*$*% off back to England!".

  7. #2837
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    You'd think they'd get a native Welsh speaker to do the translating. I know they exist in Welsh supermarkets; .
    The trouble is there are very few Welsh speakers in the Welsh Valleys, Cardiff and Gwent. When I was going around the S Wales JDWs I got cornered into getting a cab between Tredegar and Abertillery. I asked the driver if he knew anyone who spoke Welsh and he said no and was generally against the idea. Snowdonia is another matter. When I used to spend a lot of time in the Llanberis Pass there was an old shepherd known as Johnny Bach who had a grasp of English but wasn't fluent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    On reflection, perhaps she was saying "*$*% off back to England!".
    They don't have any Welsh swear words although some English ones have been given Welsh spellings. "Twll dyn bob Sais" is the term of abuse against the English I've heard of most commonly.

  8. #2838
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    She probably said Popty Ping.

  9. #2839
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The trouble is there are very few Welsh speakers in the Welsh Valleys, Cardiff and Gwent. When I was going around the S Wales JDWs I got cornered into getting a cab between Tredegar and Abertillery. I asked the driver if he knew anyone who spoke Welsh and he said no and was generally against the idea. Snowdonia is another matter. When I used to spend a lot of time in the Llanberis Pass there was an old shepherd known as Johnny Bach who had a grasp of English but wasn't fluent.


    They don't have any Welsh swear words although some English ones have been given Welsh spellings. "Twll dyn bob Sais" is the term of abuse against the English I've heard of most commonly.
    I remember frequent holidays in Snowdonia in the '70s and all the English translations on road signs had been painted over.
    Around 1986 when I was last in the Brondanw Arms, the staff were chatting in English until we asked for a pint when they reverted to speaking Welsh.
    My local friend told me that this area's education authority teaches Welsh as standard and English isn't commenced until the age of 8, and recently I heard a local complaining in English that there weren't enough Welsh speakers on NHS Direct.

  10. #2840
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I remember frequent holidays in Snowdonia in the '70s and all the English translations on road signs had been painted over.
    Around 1986 when I was last in the Brondanw Arms, the staff were chatting in English until we asked for a pint when they reverted to speaking Welsh.
    My local friend told me that this area's education authority teaches Welsh as standard and English isn't commenced until the age of 8, and recently I heard a local complaining in English that there weren't enough Welsh speakers on NHS Direct.
    I've been going to Snowdonia for 60 years this August for holidays and nowadays short breaks. I remember the painted out road signs and also slogans written on walls or rocks such as Cofia Dryweryn which references the Trywerym reservoir between Bala and Trawsfynydd which was flooded to create a reservoir for somewhere in England. Sadly the reservoir also drowned the railway line making it virtually impossible to ever reopen the line. On the plus side a new "A" road was created to replace the tortuous original "B" road. It got more serious when the Welsh zealots started burning down holiday homes in the 1980s and I remember that happening to one on the minor road above Llanberis that leads to the path up Snowdon.

    I've never made it to the Brondanw as it;s a bit off the beaten track.

    The education system has been like that for decades. I remember the Yorkshire manager of the new Pen Y Pass café / restaurant voicing his concerns about his young daughter being taught Welsh probably 40 years ago.
    The worst thing was the dry Sundays which happily no longer exist.

Similar Threads

  1. a swift one - Good News and Bad News
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 06:17
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 07:14
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-05-2010, 09:03
  4. Random beer news of the day
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 07:28
  5. Random Corrections
    By PubWatcher002 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 14:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •