Ads not shown when logged in
Page 268 of 426 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    even if its Tetley
    This beer has no similarity to the beer of the same name that used to be brewed in Leeds. It's not even bitter, having, to my taste, a thin, watery, underwhelming, slightly sweet flavour. And before anyone comments on my ageing taste buds, let me just say that Black Sheep Bitter still tastes to me as bitter and characterful as when I first drank it. (Perhaps they're putting more hops in nowadays, to help preserve the youthful delusions of old fogeys like me - if so, thanks very much.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If you sell beer for £2.30 a pint... you are going to fail as a pub.unless you have the buying power and turnover of Wetherspoons.
    Yes, but the point is that in Accrington you're going to struggle to get anyone through the door if you sell at £3.20 rather than £2.30.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Much of the problem is explained within the article,there are many unhelpful wrongs, going on, but the article itself reveals the bigger overall picture as to why many pubs can't/don't survive in certain areas in the modern world.
    There are many factors in the decline of pubs. I see something similar in the betting shops where I work. Many young (and perhaps not so young) people now bet using their phones to access the portals of internet-based bookmakers, rather than coming in to talk and interact with casual acquaintances who might become friends. It's all part of the increasing isolation in modern British society which may have begun with someone saying there was no such thing as society.

I noticed a marked decline about three years ago, and it's definitely not just about older customers dying. As with pubs, there comes a tipping point where going into a bookies where only two or three people are betting becomes as depressing as going into a pub with three customers nursing halves of John Smiths Smooth Crap.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    This beer has no similarity to the beer of the same name that used to be brewed in Leeds. It's not even bitter, having, to my taste, a thin, watery, underwhelming, slightly sweet flavour. And before anyone comments on my ageing taste buds, let me just say that Black Sheep Bitter still tastes to me as bitter and characterful as when I first drank it. (Perhaps they're putting more hops in nowadays, to help preserve the youthful delusions of old fogeys like me - if so, thanks very much.)
    I agree with you on Black Sheep Bitter. I don't normally bother with it as it's under my usual ABV radar and is commonplace. The pint I had in an uninspiring pub in Flint last month was a very pleasant surprise.
    I've never rated Tetley but I probably had more of the Tetley Walker variety than the Leeds one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I agree with you on Black Sheep Bitter. I don't normally bother with it as it's under my usual ABV radar and is commonplace. The pint I had in an uninspiring pub in Flint last month was a very pleasant surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... let me just say that Black Sheep Bitter still tastes to me as bitter and characterful as when I first drank it. (Perhaps they're putting more hops in nowadays, to help preserve the youthful delusions of old fogeys like me - if so, thanks very much.)
    Black Sheep has a new brewer and the beer is much better than it has been for a while. The brewery even turned a profit this year.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Black Sheep has a new brewer and the beer is much better than it has been for a while. The brewery even turned a profit this year.
    That's interesting,I may give it a go next time I see it rather than give it a miss.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The situation regarding choice in the Dales is a bit better now, so I didn't major on BS this autumn.This said,what I did drink (BS Best) varied from OK to excellent,in the same pub, dependent on day of the week and through put.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/20...akston-family/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields