Ads not shown when logged in
Page 254 of 426 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    According to London's free City AM morning newspaper, the average price for a pint in the UK is £3.60.

This also reports that, on average, the UK beer drinker thinks that their pint is 60p too expensive, allowing for the expected regional variations.

The cost of a reliably fine pint of real ale in our village club is £3.00.

I think this might make me reasonably happy?
    The article mentions 1973 when the average price was 14p. Around that time or slightly later you could find Young's Special for that price in tied public bars, including the Windmill on Clapham Common. When they removed that public bar it signified the start of the end for Young's.

Obviously I remember thinking at the time that it was 60p too expensive.

According to London's free City AM morning newspaper, the average price for a pint in the UK is £3.60.

This also reports that, on average, the UK beer drinker thinks that their pint is 60p too expensive, allowing for the expected regional variations.

I like to compare the difference in price between JDWs and "proper" pubs. In Wolverhampton / Black Country it's 30p or less up to around £1.30 or occasionally more. In my local area it's £1.30 up to at least £2.30. Given that JDWs must have the same overheads as "proper" pubs what does that tell us about London prices?
    Note this only refers to cask prices and specifically the JDW standard guest price.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Given that JDWs must have the same overheads as "proper" pubs
    I think you'll find that this is where the argument falls apart...

I think you'll find that this is where the argument falls apart...
    In what way? The rates, staff costs and utilities must be the same for the two pub types in the same area.
    Why roughly a pound more in the price differential between the two areas unless it's deliberate price "fixing" (aka a rip off)?.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    In what way? The rates, staff costs and utilities must be the same for the two pub types in the same area.
    Why roughly a pound more in the price differential between the two areas unless it's deliberate price "fixing" (aka a rip off)?.
    Business rates and rents can vary enormously, even for adjacent premises, as can staff costs, purchasing power (for utilities as well as stock), amount of local competition for the same customer base, etc.

Business rates and rents can vary enormously, even for adjacent premises, as can staff costs, purchasing power (for utilities as well as stock), amount of local competition for the same customer base, etc.
    Is their any reason why these potential discrepancies should be so much greater in NE London than Wolverhampton? It seems a strange coincidence that only "proper" pubs in NE London and not Wolverhampton seem to be affected to such a degree.

This Space For Hire

Your village club is a rip-off . £2.20 for a decent pint in my local Spoons last night.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Your village club is a rip-off . £2.20 for a decent pint in my local Spoons last night.
    I know it's not a "rip-off" - it makes a modest surplus (not a profit) which is divided between a fund to cover future maintenance / improvement of the building / facilities and donations to local charities...

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "Following intervention from police and with "co-operation from those on site"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-44288992
    "More than 200 years of brewing beer is to come to an end at one Lancashire site"

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/end-of-an...ries-1-9200245
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

'Average' rather than 'mean' or 'median' is a tricky measure. However, in London I'm increasingly finding that a pint is now closer to £5 than £4 and sometimes way above. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72375/ is probably the best pub for a very long way far and wide in this area and I can't think of any pub that is the same price or less - double bonus!