Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 429 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Random news of the day

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Blimey - perhaps Heston Blumenthal might care to do a review after his recent visit to the Firefly?

Not that random but..........

It's Beaujolais Nouveau day at the Baum today and I'm just about to set off. We start at 10 with a coffee & brandy.

Full breakfast at 11 with a bottle of Beaujolais Noveau.

Then a speaker and beer & more food & beer.........

I may be a little delicate tomorrow.

Ignore anything I post later today!!!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Ignore anything I post later today!!!
    Why should later today be any different? I'm assuming 'we' unfortunately doesn't include the wine-loving Mrs C, seeing as it's daytime on a Thursday. Have a good one ROB.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

We start at 10 with a coffee & brandy... breakfast at 11 with a bottle of Beaujolais Noveau... then beer & more food & beer.........
    Well the saying goes 'Beer then wine is fine, Wine then beer is queer' (I presume in the combined effect!). I've never understood why the sequence should make any difference, but have usually found myself in a fairly bad state whenever the twain happen to meet. And you're throwing brandy into the mix too! Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well the saying goes 'Beer then wine is fine, Wine then beer is queer' (I presume in the combined effect!). I've never understood why the sequence should make any difference, but have usually found myself in a fairly bad state whenever the twain happen to meet. And you're throwing brandy into the mix too! Good luck...
    Well I survived relatively unscathed AND I feel fine this morning.

A brandy, then 2 pints, then breakfast with a bottle of Beaujolais each, then a couple more pints and a speaker.

Then a rather raucous game of shove ha'penny (but with 50 pence pieces) where I won about £15.

Then more beer, then hot beef & onion butties. Then more beer.

Then home at 9:45. So just the 12 hours out on the lash then!!

Out with the lads tonight, then Bury Beer Festival tomorrow.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

brandy, then 2 pints, then a bottle of Beaujolais each, then a couple more pints ... Then more beer ... Then more beer ... So just the 12 hours out on the lash then!!

Out with the lads tonight, then Bury Beer Festival tomorrow.
    Mightily impressive ROB, if not somewhat masochistic.

As was, in deference, Maldenman's tour of Bath, 15 pubs, 18 pints, between 14:30 Tues - 14:00 Weds.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Some old photographs of the Fuller's brewery on The Telegraph's site, for those that like that sort of thing.

Incidentally, clicking on this link, (on the same page) takes you to a news story just put up this morning. Aside from the fact that the writer's definition of British beer drinkers broadening their horizons appears to be having Pilsner Urquell and Peroni Nastro Azzurro available, as well as Carlsberg and Fosters, he refers to pubs being labelled "gold", "silver" or "bronze" without explaining what this means. Anyone know what exactly this refers to? Real ale does get a mention, but only in passing at the end of the article.
    And you can really taste the hops!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Aside from the fact that the writer's definition of British beer drinkers broadening their horizons appears to be having Pilsner Urquell and Peroni Nastro Azzurro available, as well as Carlsberg and Fosters, he refers to pubs being labelled "gold", "silver" or "bronze" without explaining what this means. Anyone know what exactly this refers to? Real ale does get a mention, but only in passing at the end of the article.
    Struck me as an half-baked article by someone who doesn't know a great deal about beer. The gold, silver, bronze thing sounds like some wanky socio-economic appraisal by advertising types.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

News of little national importance !

Arwkrite managed to spill a glass of red wine over his net book. After drying out it appears to be working ok. But it showed how attached I have become to the little wonder. I should be moving house some time in the near future to a smaller, more manageable flat. If I should disappear for a while have no fear I will be back to bore you all, but the date is uncertain.