Ads not shown when logged in
Page 197 of 426 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Back in 2009, I was serving the best pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord in London at the Gunmakers. Indeed the only pint of it I ever had that might have been better was in the brewery's West Yorkshire heartland itself, at the Golden Fleece in Haworth. The reason? I did what I was told by the brewer.

I met Peter Eells at a London beer festival when I was new to writing about beer and some time before I entered the pub trade. The experience left an impression on me. I asked him why his beer could taste so very different, even in high turnover pubs where clearly freshness wasn't a problem. He explained that, unlike other modern cask beers, Landlord undergoes vigorous secondary fermentation in the cask. As such it takes longer to be ready. Indeed, he told me that five days in an unbunged state (with the shive at the top of the cask open, no corks or peg at all) was optimum.

When it came to handling the beer myself I remembered what he'd said that night, followed the instructions, and sure enough my beer was tremendous. The Gunmakers quickly got a reputation for superlative Tim Taylor Landlord. I now see that was the single most important reason why I was able to build the business as a credible real ale pub so quickly.
    "

This gives some interesting insight and maybe has some bearing on a debate I had a few months ago with Thuck Phat on this forum (see #413 et seq) about the merits or otherwise of TTLL. I said it was almost always disappointing, to the extent that I now avoid this beer, previously a firm favourite, especially in the free trade. He kindly pointed out half a dozen places where he had supped a decent pint or two in recent years. Presumably (as they were nearly all TT pubs, as I recall) they were following the above instructions to the letter.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    "[I]
    This gives some interesting insight and maybe has some bearing on a debate I had a few months ago with Thuck Phat on this forum (see #413 et seq) about the merits or otherwise of TTLL. I said it was almost always disappointing, to the extent that I now avoid this beer, previously a firm favourite, especially in the free trade. He kindly pointed out half a dozen places where he had supped a decent pint or two in recent years. Presumably (as they were nearly all TT pubs, as I recall) they were following the above instructions to the letter.
    Back in the day Landlord was one of my favourite beers. I only ever once tried it to find it as good as their tied estate and that was at a back street free house in Peterborough. They used to deliver Landlord in Spoons and I recall the E10 Drum having casks that exploded. It probably didn't help having them delivered into the patio where they were left in the sun.
    I suspect that Spoons dropped TT as they charged considerably more per cask than their competitors.

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default Sour Times

"Lake District brewer, Hawkshead, one of almost 30 brewers showcasing a"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6730831.html

"At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Toys out pram moment there.

I'm glad his business is so strong he can alienate 800 plus potential customers. Hope the prat goes bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Blue kismet