Ads not shown when logged in
Page 176 of 428 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 4277

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Fortunately, I very rarely aim for anywhere that has, or is is likely to have, doorstaff.
    Ditto
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default Bradford on the up & up

Via "The bloke from Hull"

The new Bradford Brewery and Brewfactory pub has opened, producing the first beer brewed in the city centre for more than 50 years. The Lord Mayor of Bradford, Mike Gibbons, and the Lady Mayoress, Elizabeth Sharp, ceremonially pulled the first pint of The Origin, a 4.2% dry-hopped pale ale. Guests were also given a chance to sample the first Pieminister pies served in Bradford, under a partnership deal that has made The Brewfactory the county’s first Pieminister Pie pub. The development is one of the high-profile venues opening as part of the Bradford City Centre Growth Zone scheme, Bradford Council’s £35m initiative to attract businesses back into the city centre. The venue, off Westgate, Bradford, has created 11 new jobs. Bradford Brewery’s managing director, Matthew Halliday, said: "I’d had a dream of opening a brewery for some time, which just grew out of a casual conversation in a bar. Then the Bradford City Centre Growth Zone scheme gave us the vision to bring brewing back to the heart of the city.”

Default Middlesbrough on the up & up

I kid you not, again via "The bloke from Hull";

Middlesbrough is in the midst of a micropub boom, with the fourth opening lined up. A premises licence is being sought to transform the former site of the Olde Young Tea House on Grange Road in central Middlesbrough into a new micropub. The Olde Young Tea House was voted the nation’s favourite independent business in August 2014 and moved next door to larger premises last year. Now the current owner of the unit, Michael Hill, has applied for permission to turn the address into a micropub catering for real ale enthusiasts. Hill said: “We’re planning to call it The Infant Hercules after the famous quote from William Gladstone. We already run the Longlands Club and it’s something we’ve been wanting to do for a while. It’s an alternative to the big pub chains and something for the enthusiasts to enjoy. You can come in and talk to someone you’ve only just met, that’s something you lose with a town centre big pub or club. We’re currently renovating it and getting the bar installed. We just hope our application goes through and we can get started.” The existing micropubs In Middlesbrough are Dr Phil’s in Langhorne, the Devil’s Advocate on Borough Road, and Sherlock's and Twisted Lip, both on Baker Street.

Default 30th Anniversary of Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That surprised me as I had them down as starting at a similar time to Oakham (it was 1993 and I had to look it up!).

The news I heard today which has got me really excited is that Brewdog are opening in Leicester in April.
    http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/uk-bars-update

They have chosen a former Varsity student pub that I always thought was a nice building and deserved better treatment. 22 taps! It's going to take me two visits to sample everything, and that's before getting started on the bottles. I thought of applying for the GM job but don't think I could go back to being a salary monkey so i'm trying to persuade my friends in the trade to go for it in the hope of some lock ins

This Space For Hire

South Norwood residents want to form community-run pub

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/R...ail/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Interesting - this is the first such group I've come across recently that doesn't seem to be specifically trying to save an existing pub and which might try something different.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

The area really could do with a decent pub,just hope the residents dont mind it full of Palace fans before every home game.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

TV presenter opens Edinburgh bar uniting craft beer and curry

http://barmagazine.co.uk/tv-presente...eer-and-curry/