Ads not shown when logged in
Page 148 of 429 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 4283

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    That's interesting, as I always associate John Smith's with nonics!
    I think it must have been a particularly dire pint in 1975 in South Yorkshire, the bit that you think ought to be in Lincolnshire.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

That's interesting, as I always associate John Smith's with nonics!
    Latterly it was definitely branded tulips in the pubs and on their advertising, doesn't this look nice

Attachment 1065

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "the conical, the nonic and the tulip"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27188915
    I hate the old "jugs", even more so now they are "trendy" in London.
    What really makes my blood boil (and it doesn't take much!) is the fact that all of those pints are ridiculous short measures.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Latterly it was definitely branded tulips in the pubs and on their advertising, doesn't this look nice

Attachment 1065
    I like those sort of glasses and the other ones with the bulge at the top,very easy for drinking quickly on a Sunday dinner,i dont like those glasses that go out at and angle,i have no idea what the name of glasses are,i can not stand drinking out of a dimpled glass,it seems to take an age to get down your drink out of these.

Regarding heads on beer,a perfect pint for me should have a 3 quarter inch head on it and leave a mark on the glass after each gulp as you go down the pint.

Flat pints are for southeners.

Indeed. For me, it's a case of tulips till I die, just love their simple clean aesthetic. 'oldboots' and I have both had Get Carter* moments, my most recent one was in the Friends of Ham, Leeds.

* For those who haven't seen this iconic British thriller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62qvbg_n7OU
    A cracking film by the way.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I refuse to drink pints from nonics.Ugly beer glass .Only one pub has refused to change it when asked which I think was the White Horse sw6 so I went outside got a lovely used glass reserved for foreign beer ,washed it in the toilets and supped away.Not too fond of tulips either.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Regarding heads on beer,a perfect pint for me should have a 3 quarter inch head on it and leave a mark on the glass after each gulp as you go down the pint.

Flat pints are for southeners.
    A 3 quarter inch head on a £2.00 pint is around a 35p short measure. I can't believe you're prepared to live with such a rip-off! Maybe drinking in a Fuller's pub might change things.
    Another disadvantage of the hideous dimple jugs is that a short measure is even more expensive as they have a much larger circumference at the top of the glass.
    The ideal glass for us tight-fisted southerners would be just about any of the straight glasses with the shape of them turned upside down.

Why is the lager in my local Spoons all served in what looks like flower vases?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I refuse to drink pints from nonics.Ugly beer glass .Only one pub has refused to change it when asked which I think was the White Horse sw6 so I went outside got a lovely used glass reserved for foreign beer ,washed it in the toilets and supped away.Not too fond of tulips either.
    Pewter tankards, as used by Davy's pubs in London, need to be avoided at all costs - just vile.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Attachment 1065
    You're right, of course. I'd be lying if I say I never drink JS, but fortunately it's only about one or two pints a year. My association is going back to the late seventies and early eighties when there wasn't much choice apart from Tetleys, JS and God forbid, Websters. That's when I always think of JS in a nonic.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.