Ads not shown when logged in
Page 142 of 428 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 4279

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    " to ban two marketing campaigns for"
    http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/heine...009458.article
    I reckon its a great ad.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I remember when the stuff was brewed in the great Alsatian city of ..................err Reading.

http://www.theguardian.com/education...earch-drinking

Room J-407, on the fourth floor of London South Bank university's main block, is an elaborate set, built at a cost of £20,000 by the psychology department; a lab bar, where customers are guinea pigs and the contents of bottles are definitely not what it says on the label. As for its cheery bar staff, they are all psychology students researching the effects of alcohol on behaviour.

Order up a beer, however, and you may end up with a placebo.

"The glass will smell of alcohol, but whether there is any actual alcohol in the drink will depend," said Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The glass will smell of alcohol, but whether there is any actual alcohol in the drink will depend.
    I may have been in this pub recently...
    Come On You Hatters!

http://www.theguardian.com/education...earch-drinking
    Order up a beer, however, and you may end up with a placebo.

"The glass will smell of alcohol, but whether there is any actual alcohol in the drink will depend," said Moss.
    I would have real problems detecting whether a pint of Doombore was a Placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I would have real problems detecting whether a pint of Doombore was a Placebo.
    Ohh, a bit harsh. A decent Doom Bar (and admittedly they are hard to find due their muck-spreading distribution policy) is still a tidy pint. Sweet, malty and fairly unchallenging, which I'm afraid is what many cross-over drinkers want. I was at The Nags Head earlier and a guy had brought in a lass who was clearly his date, to the bar. He pontificated about beer in general via various tasters but managed to drop in Doom Bar as "one of my favourites" (admittedly to suppressed sniggers from the ear-wigging barflys - me being one). She seemed happy enough.

And why not? Better that than Fosters?! Sometimes we need to remember that a decent Doom Bar in a pub 25 years ago would have been almost enough for a GBG entry and many a CAMRA meeting.

Rant over
    Last edited by Quinno; 17-02-2014 at 21:18.

Ohh, a bit harsh. A decent Doom Bar (and admittedly they are hard to find due their muck-spreading distribution policy) is still a tidy pint. Sweet, malty and fairly unchallenging, which I'm afraid is what many cross-over drinkers want. I was at The Nags Head earlier and a guy had brought in a lass who was clearly his date, to the bar. He pontificated about beer in general via various tasters but managed to drop in Doom Bar as "one of my favourites" (admittedly to suppressed sniggers from the ear-wigging barflys - me being one). She seemed happy enough.

And why not? Better that than Fosters?! Sometimes we need to remember that a decent Doom Bar in a pub 25 years ago would have been almost enough for a GBG entry and many a CAMRA meeting.

Rant over
    My point about the beer is less about the intrinsic quality of it rather than the mugging of it by Moolson Corrs. What really makes by blood boil is when I see it in a Spoons being sold at a higher price than the standard guest beers. The same applies for London Pride and ESB.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My point about the beer is less about the intrinsic quality of it rather than the mugging of it by Moolson Corrs. What really makes by blood boil is when I see it in a Spoons being sold at a higher price than the standard guest beers. The same applies for London Pride and ESB.
    Still 50p cheaper than most of the competition!

Not sure if this is landside or airside

http://siba.co.uk/2014/02/real-ale-a...dlands-airport

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Ohh, a bit harsh. A decent Doom Bar...is still a tidy pint. Sweet, malty and fairly unchallenging, which I'm afraid is what many cross-over drinkers want.
    For an alternative view of Doom Bar, take a look at the third paragraph of my review of The Raven, in Wakefield.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.