Ads not shown when logged in
Page 136 of 429 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 4283

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Very interesting blog. Went through the lot, comments and all. Trademark issues seem to keep cropping up. Stupid mainly.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Default If you spot any Brewdog going cheap...

Sad end to a once iconic brewery:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...m-Brewery.html
    Though isn't there some sort of covenant whereby a continuity brewery has to be maintained on site?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Sad end to a once iconic brewery:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...m-Brewery.html
    Though isn't there some sort of covenant whereby a continuity brewery has to be maintained on site?
    I don't believe there is such a covenant, though the Young's incumbent looking after the site (John Hatch) claims that it is the site where a brewing process has been in continuous operation for the longest time. There are of course older breweries than Young's old Wandsworth brewery, but their sites have moved. When Young's closed down their operation, John set up a sort of Heath Robinson process immediately, in order to maintain the continuity.

I was lucky enough to be given a tour of the site by John after Young's moved out. He also gave me a few pints of his brew, Wandsworth Phoenix, and very good it was too.

I wonder if the new owners know just how much of the old site is statutorily listed? In fact when they were decommissioning the site they removed some of the stainless steel cladding in one of the old fermentation tanks, and revealed the original Victorian marble sides of the tank - it's now Grade II Listed! It will be interesting to see what they do with the redevelopment. Wouldn't it be great if they brought the old brewery tap back to life; too much to hope for I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if they brought the old brewery tap back to life; too much to hope for I suppose.
    But it wouldn't be a brewery tap any more! As I've said elsewehre Young's were King when I first discovered real ale and I visited the brewery three or four times. Young's Special in a public bar used to be generally a good bit cheaper than the weak Big Six alternatives whether real or top pressure.

I will only drink Young's now out of curiosity or desperation and feel no temptation whatsoever to venture into any of their pubs.

Where did it all go so badly wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    But it wouldn't be a brewery tap any more!
    True. Obviously I should have said that it would be good if they re-opened the the pub that used to be the Young's Brewery Tap.

This Space For Hire

But it wouldn't be a brewery tap any more! As I've said elsewehre Young's were King when I first discovered real ale and I visited the brewery three or four times. Young's Special in a public bar used to be generally a good bit cheaper than the weak Big Six alternatives whether real or top pressure.

I will only drink Young's now out of curiosity or desperation and feel no temptation whatsoever to venture into any of their pubs.

Where did it all go so badly wrong?
    Youngs are making more money than when they were brewing. Although we older drinkers think the beer has changed the new generation like their pubs. Since they re-opened the Wheatsheaf at the Borough Market it has been the busiest pub in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Youngs are making more money than when they were brewing. Although we older drinkers think the beer has changed the new generation like their pubs. Since they re-opened the Wheatsheaf at the Borough Market it has been the busiest pub in the area.
    Even busier than the Market Porter? That would have been a first when I played darts for the Wheatsheaf! Isn't the re-opened one smaller than the original?

Even busier than the Market Porter? That would have been a first when I played darts for the Wheatsheaf! Isn't the re-opened one smaller than the original?
    It was packed on the Monday lunchtime between Christmas and New Year, the Porter was fairly busy and the Rake was empty.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 08-01-2014 at 22:28.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Was never in the old one but now they have a covered outside space with canned music. The finiancial times reported yesterday that planning permission has been given also for a microbrewery.