Ads not shown when logged in
Page 128 of 429 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 4283

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Only the Nags Head for me , but well worthy of the listing in my opinion as a pub , the only downside for me is its exclusively Adnams unless things have changed in the last couple of years.
    All right by me.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I've been to the Spaniards, probably 40 years ago!

I know the Lansdowne as it's very close to a former Charringtons pub called the Engineer where my grandfather used to go when he worked from Camden Shed driving the main line trains out of Euston. When I visited it, probably 40 years ago it had strippers on, something which would probably make the current trendy clientele choke on their poncy cocktail and rip-off Gastro food. I've a feeling the Lansdowne may have been Charringtons as well but I really can't remember.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 18-10-2013 at 23:32.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_4114120.html

They mean very little to me. The only one I've been in is The Spaniard and that was twenty odd years ago.
    I've been in six of them - Duke of Edinburgh; Earl Ferrers; Nag's Head; Spaniards inn; Faltering Fullback; Waterloo Beer House. I don't know about the "Best in London", but apart from the Waterloo Beer House the others I've been in are definitely worth the effort of visiting. Also, the first two (Dolphin and Duke of Edinburgh) are CAMRA Heritage Inventory pubs, and the Spaniards and Nag's Head are iconic pubs. They're not the best ten, but the list's not all bad.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I've been in six of them - Duke of Edinburgh; Earl Ferrers; Nag's Head; Spaniards inn; Faltering Fullback; Waterloo Beer House. I don't know about the "Best in London", but apart from the Waterloo Beer House the others I've been in are definitely worth the effort of visiting. Also, the first two (Dolphin and Duke of Edinburgh) are CAMRA Heritage Inventory pubs, and the Spaniards and Nag's Head are iconic pubs. They're not the best ten, but the list's not all bad.
    Inventory pubs are usually worth a visit and I like the look of the Nag's Head, though God knows how much a pint is in Knightsbridge these days. I'd probably have to sell one of my daughters.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Inventory pubs are usually worth a visit and I like the look of the Nag's Head, though God knows how much a pint is in Knightsbridge these days. I'd probably have to sell one of my daughters.
    You're right, the Nag's Head is definitely worth a visit. But it's a free house, and the prices charged here are what the market will stand. I see that when PSM went a year and a half ago a pint was £3.90. It will undoubtedly be well over £4 by now. The last time I was in there someone else bought that round, and it's true that he did look a bit pale when he returned from the bar!

Default Nicholson's

"The distillery bought pubs in the East End of London when publicans failed to pay their gin bills. The company also acquired more ostentatious “gin palaces” from the Victorian period.
    http://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/20...beer-festivals
    must admit i do like Nicholson's pubs
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Ah yes, I recall reading about it in Pete Brown's 'Man walks into a Pub...'
    Some of the iron hoops holding the massive vats were > 2 tons each iirc, and breweries vied for the biggest vats, one holding a dinner dance for 100(?) people inside one (before use...).
    One shouldn't make light of folk drowning in beer but, hey, you've got to go somehow..!
    not such a good way to go
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._campaign=1490
    poor flies

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    The last time I was in there someone else bought that round, and it's true that he did look a bit pale when he returned from the bar!
    Thought so!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Default Rockin' All Over The World

Default FA Cup

"With the biggest game in north Kent"
    http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dartford...#axzz2iSFm2EcL