Ads not shown when logged in
Page 216 of 428 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 4277

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire

Obviously I am not a fan of brewery tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The two I miss the most are King & Barnes and Brakspear ...
    Brakspears was the best brewery tour I've ever been on and it was free, we started in the sign writers shop and saw just about everything in the brewery ending up in the "Fish Room". That was a small corridor like room with a stillage down one side loaded with pins (4.5 galls), the room was so-called because of the stuffed fish in glass cases round the walls, not caught by anyone but trapped in the brewery's system which extracted water from the Thames. After the Fish Room we were taken to their best pub in Henley where a huge buffet was laid on with more free beer. That's what I call a brewery tour, in contrast I'm going to Robinsons in Stockport on 1st Oct and the tour costs £10 with no beer.

Talking of fish, interesting article on the BBC about the use of fish products to filter ale. I don't necessarily mind beer that isn't completely clear, but I can see this initiative inadvertently legitimising poorly kept, murky beer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37350233

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Talking of fish, interesting article on the BBC about the use of fish products to filter ale. I don't necessarily mind beer that isn't completely clear, but I can see this initiative inadvertently legitimising poorly kept, murky beer.

Finings have been used for centuries, better not tell the veggie wine drinkers it is in wine also

I used to use a clay based fining in my home made wine, Bentonite I think it was. The beer I left to settle naturally

PS better not tell folk that Bentonite is a main ingredient in cat litter, although lager drinkers may like additional cat connection
    Last edited by Farway; 15-09-2016 at 12:20.
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'm going to Robinsons in Stockport on 1st Oct and the tour costs £10 with no beer.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post

Yep that's exactly what's behind this tripe, anyone who's seen isinglass knows there is no resemblance to "fish guts", it's a cloudy syrupy liquid and there is no filtration involved, it's an electro-chemical reaction. You could use egg whites if you prefer and indeed historically they were; so Protz is doing his usual historically ignorant trick with this one. You could also express disgust at the source material of many everyday items if you wanted to be an arse and I don't just mean animal based products.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    We will be drinking lots and lots of beer but it's not included in the tour price, there are many decent pubs in Stockport including one where the Sam Smith's isn't cold vinegar

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Yep that's exactly what's behind this tripe, anyone who's seen isinglass knows there is no resemblance to "fish guts", it's a cloudy syrupy liquid and there is no filtration involved, it's an electro-chemical reaction. You could use egg whites if you prefer and indeed historically they were; so Protz is doing his usual historically ignorant trick with this one.
    Absolutely.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

I see the Camra Good Beer Guide has its first keg only pub in this years guide.The Twisted Barrel Taphouse in Coventry. What next Brewdog?

Yep that's exactly what's behind this tripe, anyone who's seen isinglass knows there is no resemblance to "fish guts", it's a cloudy syrupy liquid and there is no filtration involved, it's an electro-chemical reaction. You could use egg whites if you prefer and indeed historically they were; so Protz is doing his usual historically ignorant trick with this one. You could also express disgust at the source material of many everyday items if you wanted to be an arse and I don't just mean animal based products.
    Some sense from my local Kent beer blogger Paul Bailey here:
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PaulB...bout-beer.html