Ads not shown when logged in
Page 354 of 428 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 4271

Thread: Random news of the day

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    My local micropub the Owl and Pussy cat
    Not listed under Ealing on PG. I find it rather pointless to display no less than 7 areas for Ealing, making a consolidated search not possible, and even then excluding potential targets - this one listed as 'Northfields'...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Not listed under Ealing on PG. I find it rather pointless to display no less than 7 areas for Ealing, making a consolidated search not possible, and even then excluding potential targets - this one listed as 'Northfields'...
    There is an area called Ealing, with just one pub in it. Ealing Broadway has 20 (plus some closed pubs); then there's West Ealing, Northfields (as you have identified) and even Hanwell. (You mentioned seven? Oh, yes: North Ealing, South Ealing, Ealing Common - also Pitshanger, I think.)

The problem is that the site is organised into postal towns and areas within them, but Ealing is not a postal town (it's in W5 and W13 - any more?). It is possible to have areas within areas - it's just a matter of adding each pub to the larger area. So for example The Old Hat is in Ealing - the only pub in Ealing! - but also in Ealing Broadway and in West Ealing. If all the pubs in Ealing Broadway, West Ealing etc were to be added to Ealing, then we would have a comprehensive, universal and catholic Ealing listing. Despite having a lot of time on my hands, I am not going to be adding all of those pubs manually to Ealing. Much as I can see that what you say makes sense, Jim, it would be tedious in the extreme.

I don't know if Dave can do this in a less labour-intensive way or, more importantly, whether he would want to. (Because once you've done it for Ealing, aren't you going to have to do it for Finchley too?)
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

No, I wasn't being specific to the Ealing example, I find it equally irritating that the likes of Manchester, Reading, Brighton etc, are geographically sub-categorised for no apparent reason - maybe if the resulting answer-set from the more general location search could be displayed alphabetically (as is the case within the sub searches), that would assist if compiling targets for a crawl? Either way, one is never going to see the likes of the Owl and Pussycat unless it is also added to the more generic location. I guess a question of how far from the centre you have to be before needing to research the satellite areas by 'village' or whatever...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    There is an area called Ealing

...to do it for Finchley too?)
    Hardly an Ealing Comedy.

And as for Finchley, I got soaked walking two miles down Finchley Road yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ... one is never going to see the likes of the Owl and Pussycat unless it is also added to the more generic location...
    OK, I've done that one for you (you could have done it yourself ffs!)*. I can't bear to see you looking so downcast, Jim.

All these geographical things are potential minefields. Where does Ealing begin and end? And now that I've added the Owl & Pussycat to the Ealing area listing, someone else can just come along and take it out again. Anyway, now that it's in Ealing, you can pop in for a pint. Oh, sh*t, no you can't can you.

*Any member of the site can use the Correct Details facility, but the change has to be approved by a member of the Admin team.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 29-01-2021 at 18:25.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The Owl and Pussycat is in North fields but comes under Ealing Council.

This Space For Hire

Its not click and collect its turn up and buy.They have a delivery service that has been going since the last lockdown as per all breweries but you cannot sell alcohol to take away from any pubs or restaurants.Thats why I am puzzled by this development.

This Space For Hire

They are not brewing on site but at their sister brewery Ealing brewery.

A couple of beery stories, both could go elsewhere but I couldn’t be arsed to sort that out.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...quity-rejected

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...rixton-Brewery

This Space For Hire

No surprises here: 'Analysis also found that sales of peanut butter and chocolate spread increased last month' - no doubt the result of policy decisions at Hammerton's.