Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
I remember going to a pub in Fulham specifically to try the new Fined Bitter.Didnt like it much.My fav them was Worthingtons ? bitter.Couldnt say I liked English beer much at that time,73/74 probably.
I assume we are just talking cask here so Worthington Bitter was a Burton brewed option but not that common in London which was awash with Charrington IPA or less likely Bass. It's still going but brewed by Brains for Mouldy Corpse.

My recollection of timescales is that Red Barrel was replaced by Red in late 1969 or early 1970. I think Red Barrel was an attempt to create an Irish Red Ale but the new Red was dismal. It was accompanied by a huge advertising campaign urging people to join the Red Revolution featuring supposed Communist leaders and was about as funny as an emergency visit to the dentist. This was the era of the Vietnam War, the Cold War and the Cuban missile crisis so was arguably a lot more offensive than recent sexist beer names and pump clips.
As I recall Watney's Fined Bitter was introduced in 1975/1976. It was brewed in Norwich. Ind Coope Burton Ale followed in 1976/1977 and was rightly much better received.
This is all from memory but I think the dates are right.