Ads not shown when logged in
Page 320 of 426 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330370420 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Default National Bass Day

The Real Ale Twats are alive and well and THIS is one of them. I don't know who this geezer is but it would make sense if he replaced the i and c in his web address with the final two letters and I don't mean om. I'll be somewhere local on Easter Saturday but if Bass is on the counter I'll walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The Real Ale Twats are alive and well and THIS is one of them. I don't know who this geezer is but it would make sense if he replaced the i and c in his web address with the final two letters and I don't mean om. I'll be somewhere local on Easter Saturday but if Bass is on the counter I'll walk out.
    If you dislike Bass so viscerally, why on earth did you click on the link? He's a harmless guy who is looking to share his enthusiasm with what he hopes will be like-minded people. I don't understand this rabid intolerance of other people's beer choices - you're by no means the only one on this site. If you want to walk out of a pub which has Bass on offer, that's your prerogative. But calling someone you've never met a twat and suggesting his blog should be titled the wanking man is a level of irrational hatred that I would imagine is not good for your blood pressure.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If you dislike Bass so viscerally, why on earth did you click on the link? He's a harmless guy who is looking to share his enthusiasm with what he hopes will be like-minded people. I don't understand this rabid intolerance of other people's beer choices - you're by no means the only one on this site. If you want to walk out of a pub which has Bass on offer, that's your prerogative. But calling someone you've never met a twat and suggesting his blog should be titled the wanking man is a level of irrational hatred that I would imagine is not good for your blood pressure.
    Hmm. What I'd like to know how different Bass, say, is now, from it's (to me) glory days of the mid 70s. Memory is fickle,and with Bass barely available in the Southeast, I'm not likely to find out. Experience suggests that due to change of ownership,location and vagaries of the Accountants, it probably isn't.Anyway,I'd like to try, and it's good that it is still available and a cause of controversy.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

It was meant to be irreverent rather than spiteful, so that went well!
    This sort of stuff isn't harmless because the Bass today bears zero resemblance to the Bass of the glory days mentioned. Foe a few years after I left college I worked behind their bar which had been converted to stock two real ales, Bass and ESB. Bass was chosen because it was the best (by a mile) cask from the Bass Charrington stable who paid to build a cool cellar. Bass casks had a very generous amount of dry hops added (likewise Brakspear Bitter) which contributed greatly to the flavour when it was on song. To claim that the beer of today is the same and still a great beer is irresponsibly wrong. It's not a great beer but any old one brewed by Marston under the direction of Mouldy Corpse. It might have a great trademark but bat that doesn't mean it's any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Hmm. What I'd like to know how different Bass, say, is now, from it's (to me) glory days of the mid 70s. Memory is fickle,and with Bass barely available in the Southeast, I'm not likely to find out. Experience suggests that due to change of ownership,location and vagaries of the Accountants, it probably isn't.Anyway,I'd like to try, and it's good that it is still available and a cause of controversy.
    My experience suggests Bass is not as good as it was 40 years ago but is better than it has been for much of the time after Bass stopped brewing it in Burton. I've found over the years that a change of owner / brewery usually means the beer is effectively dead for example see Ruddles, Boddingtons, Gales, Courage, Jennings etc and don't get me started on Greene King's badge engineering. Please nobody drag out the old canard about ageing taste buds, some beers taste to me exactly as they did years ago.

If you dislike Bass so viscerally, why on earth did you click on the link? He's a harmless guy who is looking to share his enthusiasm with what he hopes will be like-minded people. I don't understand this rabid intolerance of other people's beer choices - you're by no means the only one on this site...
    What gets up my nose is that group of bloggers who hate micropubs, newer breweries and any beers not made with Maris Otter, Fuggles and Goldings. As a consequence they champion retreads of beers that really died years ago and try to con themselves and anyone who'll listen that the beers are still as good as they were in spite of being made with different ingredients by a different method in a different brewery as well as being managed differently in the cellar and served in a different way to the past.

Still it's their choice and they'll never convince me to limit the range of what I drink.

This Space For Hire

Reminds me a bit of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Reminds me a bit of this thread
    Now Black Sheep is much better than it used to be since a new brewer arrived, I had three pints of their best bitter yesterday in the depths of Nidderdale, lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Please nobody drag out the old canard about ageing taste buds, some beers taste to me exactly as they did years ago.

Of the beers I drank regularily in the mid 70s,Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter is more or less as remembered,Adnams Bitter not really as seaweedy,and our old friend GKIPA ,suprisingly similar,though I don't indulge frequently.Shep's Master Brew is not the same, and hasn't been since I think the late 80s.
    Whitbread Fremlins Trophy,a grand beer when brewed in Faversham is no more,and hasn't been resurrected. The likes of Courage Best,Directors and Youngs,I avoid.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Having a National Bass Day is not harmlessly stating the opinion of a beer but wilfully trying to inflict it on other people which it will do if it's a runaway success. I wouldn't call it rabid intolerance having what was supposed to be a vaguely humorous rant on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

What gets up my nose is that group of bloggers who hate micropubs, newer breweries and any beers not made with Maris Otter, Fuggles and Goldings.
    Maris Otter isn't that old,being introduced in the mid 60s, and certainly younger than Fuggles and Goldings. Incidentally the dwarfing gene in Golden Promise spring barley,favoured by some crafties,arose through exposure to gamma ray radiation. I think it's an urban myth that germ plasm was exposed to an actual atom bomb,(how far away?),but I've heard that in relation to sweetcorn as well.