Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
).
I would still prefer local beer for local people, because it makes beer tourism so much more fulfilling; and I tend to avoid nationally available brands if there's something else that I either know that I will like or that I am eager

But surely the point is that a nationally available brand (ugh) ought at the very least to be kept in top condition wherever it is available. Instead, these beers are the apparent default option for places that don't "do" real ale. Why don't the lazy buggers who make these ubiquitous beers also follow up to make sure they are kept and served in a way that will enhance their brand's reputation? Have they no pride (sorry, pun arrived unexpectedly).

Or better still, why not leave the TTLL in Yorkshire and the FLP in London, because either they don't travel well or they're being dispensed without care in pubs that don't know (or can't be bothered to find out) how to look after them properly. Or both.
Now Fuller Smith and Turner have sold out to some faceless multinational,I take the opportunity to give their products a fairly wide berth,including Hophead,which hasn't been up to much recently in my opinion.