Ads not shown when logged in
Page 377 of 426 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Agree with that but in this case being a small pub and being a local, normally sat at the bar (frowned upon in some circles) I just pay up as I get my last pint/ round.
    Yeah, if you're staying in one pub for a couple of hours then a tab can be convenient and free up the staff to serve the next customer rather than taking a payment after each round. Ideally the pub will give you the choice either way.

This Space For Hire

Good news heard today is that Crown Posada should reopen shortly!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Two Boats

https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/new...ating-removal/

It is alleged locally that the cyclist was trying to power along the towpath at about 35mph when he (and it will be a 'he') was forced to take evasive action due to the crowds outside the pub, thus getting an unwanted soaking. All it needs is obstacles at each end to force cyclists to dismount while they pass the pub.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Two Boats

https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/new...ating-removal/

It is alleged locally that the cyclist was trying to power along the towpath at about 35mph when he (and it will be a 'he') was forced to take evasive action due to the crowds outside the pub, thus getting an unwanted soaking. All it needs is obstacles at each end to force cyclists to dismount while they pass the pub.
    There is a petition against the order to remove the pub's seating from the towpath here

AT least that plan is on hold, but if it goes ahead, I would take great pleasure in standing squarely on the towpath outside the pub with my friends every time I saw a cyclist...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    There is a petition against the order to remove the pub's seating from the towpath here

AT least that plan is on hold, but if it goes ahead, I would take great pleasure in standing squarely on the towpath outside the pub with my friends every time I saw a cyclist...
    Signed.

I've visited this pub on canal trip over the last over the last 40 years ,and there have always been benches outside on the towpath.Sadly Canal & River Trust often bend over backwards to encourage cycling,a group of towpath users who pay nothing for the priviledge. I like boating (for which i pay for a licence) and boozing (which hopefully sustains community locals like the Two Boats),so lets hope sence provails.Otherwise I'm with Pangolin on direct action
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

Serves the cyclist right. It's a nightmare trying to avoid them on the Grand Union/Regents towpath, where pedestrians are supposed to have right of way and plenty of small children use it with families. I haven't used it for quite a while, but it must be terrible with all the electric scooters and similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Serves the cyclist right. It's a nightmare trying to avoid them on the Grand Union/Regents towpath, where pedestrians are supposed to have right of way and plenty of small children use it with families. I haven't used it for quite a while, but it must be terrible with all the electric scooters and similar.
    I've only been cycling on a canal towpath a couple of times, each time at the behest of my aunt, who is in her mid-70s. She is a very slow cyclist and has no sense of danger, whereas I am in constant fear of falling in the canal. I have seen the occasional cyclist going much faster than me, but I can't believe the reported 35mph. The only time I've ever gone that fast on a bike was on a downhill straight (on tarmac, of course).

If Pangolin and BF are going to stand in front of a bike can we have a couple of polls to decide where and when this will take place, as I think this would be a sight worth seeing. It'll have to be at a time when my aunt is free, naturally.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 09-12-2021 at 20:31.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If Pangolin and BF are going to stand in front of a bike can we have a couple of polls to decide where and when this will take place, as I think this would be a sight worth seeing.
    Cyclists here are allowed to use the towpath on the proviso that pedestrians have right of way; my arse. They do have a road which runs parallel too. I can imagine the 35mph top speed, as some of these electric bikes are monstrously fast, with incredible acceleration.

If BF and Pangolin are going to stand in front of a bike, I don't fancy the cyclist's chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Cyclists here are allowed to use the towpath on the proviso that pedestrians have right of way; my arse. They do have a road which runs parallel too. I can imagine the 35mph top speed, as some of these electric bikes are monstrously fast, with incredible acceleration.

If BF and Pangolin are going to stand in front of a bike, I don't fancy the cyclist's chances.
    I know who my moneys on.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire