Ads not shown when logged in
Page 288 of 303 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3028

Thread: Random news of the day

  1. #2871
    This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Standing at the bar
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The story is riddled with lots of inaccuracies in typical media fashion, but it is indeed an incredible place. And I doubt there are any others where the landlady can recount first-hand tales of the pub in WW2!
    This place reminds me of a pub we visited a few years ago in Northumberland Star Inn
    Mrs Ale was driving, so I had a couple of pints. At about 8.30pm, I said to Vera, the landlady, that I might just try another pint, to which she answered 'you most certainly will not, you've had enough!'. She's a great character though, as she sat with us and filled us in on the history of the place. It seems from Google that it's now closed, but I can't find out for definite.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

  2. #2872
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    This place reminds me of a pub we visited a few years ago in Northumberland Star Inn
    Mrs Ale was driving, so I had a couple of pints. At about 8.30pm, I said to Vera, the landlady, that I might just try another pint, to which she answered 'you most certainly will not, you've had enough!'. She's a great character though, as she sat with us and filled us in on the history of the place. It seems from Google that it's now closed, but I can't find out for definite.
    According to WhatPub Its only open Friday and Sunday evenings (strange)and real ale no longer available.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #2873
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    This place reminds me of a pub we visited a few years ago in Northumberland Star Inn
    I cycled there from Low Newton by the Sea, near Alnmouth in the early 00s, I think, to arrive at a time that the pub would be open (according to the Good Beer Guide). Found that it was not in fact open, and the grey and curling notice by the door suggested that it was unlikely ever to have been open at that time. It was a bloody long way and I wasn't going to come back just on the off chance (it is slap bang in the middle of nowhere). So in fact I've never yet had a drink at this pub.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #2874
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    "is to open a huge new brewery in Walthamstow"
    https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london...-a4146926.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  5. #2875
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Coventry Canal
    Posts
    2,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "is to open a huge new brewery in Walthamstow"
    https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london...-a4146926.html
    25m litres of quite average beer .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  6. #2876
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    25m litres of quite average beer .
    They seem to produce loads of different beers all of which seem to be a bit half hearted. I wouldn't say they are rubbish but they are not worth seeking out.
    It doesn't say where the site is but I assume it must be somewhere near Blackhorse Road station as that's where there is a lot of redevelopment. What Walthamstow really lacks is a JDW but it's unlikely to happen as it would threaten the Drum.

  7. #2877
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Agree.They will have to up there game to shift 40 million pints a year or sell out to a bigger brewer.

  8. #2878
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Agree.They will have to up there game to shift 40 million pints a year or sell out to a bigger brewer.
    My thoughts entirely. It's a huge expansion and I'm not sure they have the credibility with the Crafty Brigade to pull off having trendy cans in Tesco or other feats that local brewers have achieved.

  9. #2879
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My thoughts entirely. It's a huge expansion and I'm not sure they have the credibility with the Crafty Brigade to pull off having trendy cans in Tesco or other feats that local brewers have achieved.
    I wonder where the money is coming from to finance this.Its not exactly on the tourist route.Big gamble I think.Definitely not craft beer .

  10. #2880
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Coventry Canal
    Posts
    2,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My thoughts entirely. It's a huge expansion and I'm not sure they have the credibility with the Crafty Brigade to pull off having trendy cans in Tesco or other feats that local brewers have achieved.
    Maybe they will be forced to accept 'spoons massively knocked down terms to shift all those unwanted barrels.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Similar Threads

  1. a swift one - Good News and Bad News
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 06:17
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 07:14
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-05-2010, 09:03
  4. Random beer news of the day
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 07:28
  5. Random Corrections
    By PubWatcher002 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 14:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •