Ads not shown when logged in
Page 284 of 426 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Apparently, an initial phone call to Humphrey Smith, to gauge his interest, caused his head to explode.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Apparently, an initial phone call to Humphrey Smith, to gauge his interest, caused his head to explode.
    Ha Ha nice one.

More common sense ( ) regarding beer and pubs from bonny Scotland,

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...ng-law-3489594

they really have lost the plot north of the border see also minimum unit pricing and drink drive limits .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You'd think they'd get a native Welsh speaker to do the translating. I know they exist in Welsh supermarkets; when I was last in the Portmadoc - sorry - Porthmadog Tesco, a female member of staff approached, asking me in Welsh if I wanted help. When I responded "Sorry?" she walked off.
    On reflection, perhaps she was saying "*$*% off back to England!".

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    You'd think they'd get a native Welsh speaker to do the translating. I know they exist in Welsh supermarkets; .
    The trouble is there are very few Welsh speakers in the Welsh Valleys, Cardiff and Gwent. When I was going around the S Wales JDWs I got cornered into getting a cab between Tredegar and Abertillery. I asked the driver if he knew anyone who spoke Welsh and he said no and was generally against the idea. Snowdonia is another matter. When I used to spend a lot of time in the Llanberis Pass there was an old shepherd known as Johnny Bach who had a grasp of English but wasn't fluent.

On reflection, perhaps she was saying "*$*% off back to England!".
    They don't have any Welsh swear words although some English ones have been given Welsh spellings. "Twll dyn bob Sais" is the term of abuse against the English I've heard of most commonly.

This Space For Hire

She probably said Popty Ping.

This Space For Hire

The trouble is there are very few Welsh speakers in the Welsh Valleys, Cardiff and Gwent. When I was going around the S Wales JDWs I got cornered into getting a cab between Tredegar and Abertillery. I asked the driver if he knew anyone who spoke Welsh and he said no and was generally against the idea. Snowdonia is another matter. When I used to spend a lot of time in the Llanberis Pass there was an old shepherd known as Johnny Bach who had a grasp of English but wasn't fluent.

They don't have any Welsh swear words although some English ones have been given Welsh spellings. "Twll dyn bob Sais" is the term of abuse against the English I've heard of most commonly.
    I remember frequent holidays in Snowdonia in the '70s and all the English translations on road signs had been painted over.
    Around 1986 when I was last in the Brondanw Arms, the staff were chatting in English until we asked for a pint when they reverted to speaking Welsh.
    My local friend told me that this area's education authority teaches Welsh as standard and English isn't commenced until the age of 8, and recently I heard a local complaining in English that there weren't enough Welsh speakers on NHS Direct.

I remember frequent holidays in Snowdonia in the '70s and all the English translations on road signs had been painted over.
    Around 1986 when I was last in the Brondanw Arms, the staff were chatting in English until we asked for a pint when they reverted to speaking Welsh.
    My local friend told me that this area's education authority teaches Welsh as standard and English isn't commenced until the age of 8, and recently I heard a local complaining in English that there weren't enough Welsh speakers on NHS Direct.
    I've been going to Snowdonia for 60 years this August for holidays and nowadays short breaks. I remember the painted out road signs and also slogans written on walls or rocks such as Cofia Dryweryn which references the Trywerym reservoir between Bala and Trawsfynydd which was flooded to create a reservoir for somewhere in England. Sadly the reservoir also drowned the railway line making it virtually impossible to ever reopen the line. On the plus side a new "A" road was created to replace the tortuous original "B" road. It got more serious when the Welsh zealots started burning down holiday homes in the 1980s and I remember that happening to one on the minor road above Llanberis that leads to the path up Snowdon.

I've never made it to the Brondanw as it;s a bit off the beaten track.

The education system has been like that for decades. I remember the Yorkshire manager of the new Pen Y Pass café / restaurant voicing his concerns about his young daughter being taught Welsh probably 40 years ago.
    The worst thing was the dry Sundays which happily no longer exist.

This Space For Hire

A few years back a friend of mine, who speaks a little Welsh, was in a pub in Dyfed and ordered a pint of mild. A grumpy local loudly uttered the Welsh for 'black hole' which is apparently their term for the rear orifice and is occasionally applied to the English. My friend turned, smiled, raised his glass and retorted with the Welsh for 'black beer'. The guy spluttered, turned bright red and stormed out, much to the amusement of the other regulars who described him as a miserable old bastard and served him right!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement