Ads not shown when logged in
Page 311 of 426 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361411 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "brewery Magic Rock is opening a second taproom in "
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/life...oom-1-10138749
    No flies on aleand hearty getting it added already!

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/88643/

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think that probably says much more about the pub(s) concerned, not the beer, brewer or brewery.

Harvey's (Sussex) is completely ubiquitous in my part of the world (apart from the Shepherd Neame and Greene King tied houses), and over many decades I can't recall ever having a bad pint of it any pub that keeps a good cellar.

My understanding is that the brewery won't sell to any freehouse where problems are reported because there are so many others beyond the East Sussex / West Kent core area looking to stock it.
    Lack of flavour between one barrel and the next cant be the pubs fault.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Lack of flavour between one barrel and the next cant be the pubs fault.
    Well, all I can say is that it's news to me (having been a Harvey's regular for decades).

This Space For Hire
    Last edited by NickDavies; 07-12-2019 at 19:22.

This Space For Hire

Probably doesn't help that the pub's URL links to a locksmiths.

The new Guardian link is here: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...b-from-closure

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Have corrected that - my fault

Its Facebook has

"Due to lack of customers on Monday and Tuesday evenings we will be closing on those nights commencing next week 23/09/19"

which makes you wonder if it suddenly became an issue for those who like the idea of a pub but never use it when it was threatened with closure.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 07-12-2019 at 19:29.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Have corrected that - my fault

Its Facebook has

"Due to lack of customers on Monday and Tuesday evenings we will be closing on those nights commencing next week 23/09/19"

which makes you wonder if it suddenly became an issue for those who like the idea of a pub but never use it when it was threatened with closure.
    The Bell at Yarpole was bought as a community pub, reopened, but seems to have closed again.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Sometimes the way these things go, but of course the way a pub is being run may put off the locals.

This pub was cursed by bad management taking it from popular local to disaster zone and now back to a half decent pub.

The "celebrity chef" taking over an established village local and trashing it is all too familiar. It's also a familiar story when a PubCo basket case has been rescued by a community buyout or dedicated new owners. Some people seem to have a massive blind spot about the importance of who runs a pub and how a pub is run, a pub is not a shop that sells beer. There are people who shouldn't get within a million miles of running a pub.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Sometimes the way these things go, but of course the way a pub is being run may put off the locals.
    Some people seem to have a massive blind spot about the importance of who runs a pub and how a pub is run, a pub is not a shop that sells beer. There are people who shouldn't get within a million miles of running a pub.
    This is very true, of course when a pub is owned by a Pubco it can be completely hit or miss as to the quality of the tenant or manager.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    This is very true, of course when a pub is owned by a Pubco it can be completely hit or miss as to the quality of the tenant or manager.
    As OB alludes to, it's not just pubcos. In touristy areas (I live near the Cotswolds) just about all the remaining village pubs seem to be owned by people who got chucked out of the first round of Masterchef, are shut most of the week and if you want a drink of a weekend you'd best pick a nice day as you'll be sat in the garden.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 08-12-2019 at 10:56.