Ads not shown when logged in
Page 394 of 428 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 4275

Thread: Random news of the day

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Sad news. I see that *someone* has already marked the pub as closed, though the pub's operator is quoted in the piece as saying they'll be selling the remaining beer at silly prices on Friday, 12th August (that's tomorrow, if you're reading this today), to make sure that any administrators are unable to get their hands on it.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Indeed sad news.Sounds like this evening and possibly tomorrow will be a great send off.

I do hope the building doesn't suffer vandalism once unused,I wonder if in future it might reopen once the construction in the area has wound down.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

‘Energy bills have overtaken wages’: 280-year-old pub at risk of closure

https://www.theguardian.com/business...inn-bath-costs

The Faulkland Inn

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

The Faulkland Inn
    I think most pubs will be choosing between April 2020 hours or micropub hours this winter, thanks to Net Zero and the sanctions we imposed on ourself in the last six months.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

The Faulkland Inn
    Very depressing to read. I was in Northumberland last week and met a lot of very worried publicans wondering how they will get through this winter.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

I think there will be a lot of pubs closing this winter.Iwas drinking in Central London on Wed and most of the pubs were quiet.The pub prices were all north of £5 a pint which I am sure is having an effect.The prices will have to go up again to take in the energy price rise soon.The future looks bleak.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I think there will be a lot of pubs closing this winter.Iwas drinking in Central London on Wed and most of the pubs were quiet.The pub prices were all north of £5 a pint which I am sure is having an effect.The prices will have to go up again to take in the energy price rise soon.The future looks bleak.
    I don't know how they can put up prices to cover costs without also reducing contribution to overheads.

Working in energy I've been aware of imminent price hikes for some time, but the ones on the way are going to truly shock some businesses.

On the wholesale market, we were used to around 50p/therm for gas. £1 was panic level - we'd contact big users to see if they wanted to profit by turning off for a few days

Winter'22 gas last traded on Friday close at £6.22/therm.

Check your bills and your unit cost - this translates to 21p/kWh. Just for wholesale. Add on green levies & taxes etc.

The situation is so bleak that without massive demand destruction of industry there won't be enough for domestic use.

The time has come to say our sanctions are only sanctioning ourselves, Putin takes east Ukraine and turn on the taps - of cask of course

It's certainly going to a torrid 24 months - the price of fuel is only the half of it. Inflation has been coming because of the money that's been pumped into the economy for years alongside the out-of-control housing market. The Ukraine war has simply shoved the day of reckoning closer and turbo-charged it, especially since we've been cocking about not securing the generation of energy supplies within our own shores.

Interest rate hikes mean that people who could afford the cheapest fixed rate mortgages two years ago may well find they can't afford whatever the equivalent is when they come down off their current one in the next 18 months - hence why the BoE are terrified of pushing rates up quickly to where they really should be. This recession will have a long tail, I'm fully expecting several thousand pubs will go under and out of those less than several hundred will re-appear.

Decide which local pubs are the ones you can't live without and funnel your beer money towards them, cross your fingers and hope.
    Last edited by Quinno; 20-08-2022 at 10:56.