Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

"Marston’s pubs call it a day on "
    https://sltn.co.uk/2019/05/30/marsto...a-day-on-cask/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "Marston’s pubs call it a day on "
    https://sltn.co.uk/2019/05/30/marsto...a-day-on-cask/
    Apart from the cities drinkable real ale seems to be scarce in Scotland. This is why there are so many JDWs in the GBG and I've had some rubbish pints in some of those. As far as I'm concerned Marston's have lost the plot and I generally try and avoid their pubs. At least GK have better beers than their own in a few of their houses.

"Mark Carter, head of drinks category management at Marston’s, said 'Our criteria is set by throughput to ensure we maintain the quality control expected by our customers.'" Did he really? And does he understand what he said?

Criteria is not a singular noun. If using the word, you should follow it with a plural verb. If there is only one of them, the word to use is criterion.

Our criterion is set by throughput. Surely the management or quality control department would have set the criterion, so "based on" is probably what he meant to say.

Our criterion is based on throughput to ensure we maintain the quality control . Isn't quality control what you do to ensure quality?

Our criterion is based on throughput to ensure we maintain the quality expected by our customers. It's still horrible, but at least we could have been sure what he meant.

How about, "our managers have been having to throw away cask beer or, even worse, selling it in poor condition to our customers. One reason this has been happening is that not enough beer in good condition is being sold, and customers are keeping away because of the poor reputation of Marstons beers."
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I never thought I would praise Marstons but this is the right idea.If you cant sell enough cask stop selling it altogether.Rarely if ever have a drink in Marstons as I don't like their beer.I am sure this will extend to other pubs they own in the fullness of time.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I never thought I would praise Marstons but this is the right idea.If you cant sell enough cask stop selling it altogether.Rarely if ever have a drink in Marstons as I don't like their beer.I am sure this will extend to other pubs they own in the fullness of time.
    The flaw with this argument is the quality of most of their keg offerings. Have you ticked Marston's Smooth? I went to a former Banks's outlet in the Black Country that is now badged as Marston's and the only non lager was Boddington's Smooth which was rubbish. As I said they've lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The flaw with this argument is the quality of most of their keg offerings. Have you ticked Marston's Smooth? I went to a former Banks's outlet in the Black Country that is now badged as Marston's and the only non lager was Boddington's Smooth which was rubbish. As I said they've lost the plot.
    The answer is to start brewing beer that people like. They used to about 20 years ago (well, maybe 30!). I used to love the Burton Bitter then. The wife preferred Pedigree.
    Oh, and the Mild and the Merry Monk wern't bad either!
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-06-2019 at 18:32.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The answer is to start brewing beer that people like. They used to about 20 years ago (well, maybe 30!). I used to love the Burton Bitter then. The wife preferred Pedigree.
    It all started going south when the ABV for Pedigree was lowered IMHO.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Owd Roger anyone? Available on draught when Marstons had a southern tied estate based on Winchester.

I read on many occasions that Merry Monk was Pedigree with caramel. I don't recall seeing it that often. Apparently Marston only have 22 Scottish outlets. I don't recall seeing any of their beers in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Owd Roger anyone? Available on draught when Marstons had a southern tied estate based on Winchester.
    I remember a couple of dodgy teenage moments on that stuff.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields