Ads not shown when logged in
Page 350 of 426 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360400 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire

Random Wikipedia Entry of the Day is The London Beer Flood, an event I'd not heard of before.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Random Wikipedia Entry of the Day is The London Beer Flood, an event I'd not heard of before.
    Yes. Not exactly News of the Day though.

Some people drowned in their basements. The Griffin was the brewery tap for the Griffin Brewery, mentioned. I went there once in late 2002 and got quite a shock as it's a full nudity venue, with women coming round holding out a glass for a pound a strip. It had the original bar then but the website shows something altogether different today. I didn't stay long as this wasn't what I'd intended visiting, not having been to a pub with blacked out windows before.
    CAMRA has this place as 'open' and I too agree that there isn't an entry fee but a bouncer, which is pretty common around here.

What a way to go though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Strangely enough, there's a YouTube channel which keeps coming up on my feed which posted a video about this on 6th December.

I like the guy's content and he seems to do his research well, allll-though-his-occaaaasssional-drawn-out-patter does get a little grating.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

The beer flood was covered in Pete Brown's 'Man walks into a Pub', also, until this, the enormous brewing vessels were almost a competition between breweries making them increasingly larger, even holding dinner parties inside them (empty) as a display of status...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    What a way to go though.
    Not if Sharpe's Doom Bar were brewed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    I like the guy's content and he seems to do his research well, allll-though-his-occaaaasssional-drawn-out-patter does get a little grating.
    I think he's reading from a script and I don't know why we on two occasions see the interior of The Cittie of Yorke. I first saw Star Wars at the Dominion where Meux's brewery was located - May The Force Beer With You!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The beer flood was covered in Pete Brown's 'Man walks into a Pub', also, until this, the enormous brewing vessels were almost a competition between breweries making them increasingly larger, even holding dinner parties inside them (empty) as a display of status...
    I first learnt about this on a walking tour of the area over five years ago. When asked how large were the brewing vessels, a rather flustered guide replied: 'About the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex'.
    Last edited by Tris39; 12-12-2020 at 19:13.

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

"Nonsense" is about right.

Chair Jenny Watson described the beer can as "engaging" but said "the panel felt the prominence of the cartoon animals made it particularly appealing to children".

Having found a child that is attracted by the can, they should then send them into licenced premises and see what happens when they try to buy one. I'm just guessing here - I haven't got the years of experience of the real world that would qualify me to work on the Portman Group's panel - but I can't see this foray into the pub resulting in a sale.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

How does artwork appeal to kids regarding something they can't buy? This is different from the old 'sweet' cigarettes because they were sold on counters beneath the real thing.

And the artwork's nothing like Where The Wild Things Are.

This Space For Hire

More grim news.