Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Historical Pubs

Default Historical Pubs

Is this a good time to improve our record of historical pubs, partly for the academic completeness, and partly to help other potential pub-goers when the restrictions are lifted? Several time I've heard of a pub which 'used to be there' but isn't listed in PuG, and when I've gone to explore, I've found that either it's open and we've just missed it somehow, or it's closed and the building has been repurposed. Would photographing and adding these be a constructive use of our daily exercise allowance?
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Would photographing and adding these be a constructive use of our daily exercise allowance?
    As a photographer, I'm all in favour of this approach. You probably won't get much support from regulars on this forum, as most of them are reviewers rather than snappers. One thing to avoid, though, is photographing a place where a pub used to be, but in fact the pub building has been replaced with another building altogether. There needs to be something recognisably publike before you get your camera out.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    As a photographer, I'm all in favour of this approach. You probably won't get much support from regulars on this forum, as most of them are reviewers rather than snappers. One thing to avoid, though, is photographing a place where a pub used to be, but in fact the pub building has been replaced with another building altogether. There needs to be something recognisably publike before you get your camera out.
    Not against the idea , but is there any point in adding a previously unlisted former pub that is most likely never to be a pub again even though the building's the same ? Is this pubs past and present galore? Honest question.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Not against the idea , but is there any point in adding a previously unlisted former pub that is most likely never to be a pub again even though the building's the same ? Is this pubs past and present galore? Honest question.
    My reasoning is that apart from having a more complete record (maybe my inner librarian is struggling to get out), there is a practical element - if someone looks the pub up and finds it closed, it will save them looking for it, and possibly wasting time and fuel. I guess we discussed it before in a thread on photographing closed pubs, a similar question, but apart from anything else it does give us something to do/talk about while we can't do live visits.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

As we don't delete closed pubs, then it is pubs past and present galore. I don't see why closed pubs not on the site cannot be added if they are still standing (and looking publike!). I have done this in the past but quite a few years ago.

I assume now that they would have to be added as open then closed by the sender as closed pubs seem to go under the radar and get ignored. I still have one on my pending, added closed, that was due to open. When it opened, I had to add it again.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-04-2020 at 16:51.

To be honest I don't go looking for them, but if I see an obvious ex-pub I'll take a photo. And if it's not on the site I'll add it.

Is this pubs past and present galore? Honest question.
    I know Dave went through a period when he wasn't authorising additions of closed pubs, but that was before he let some of us help out with admin tasks. As Alan H has pointed out, we don't delete pubs once they have closed, so why not add those that are already closed?
    Come On You Hatters!

To be honest I don't go looking for them, but if I see an obvious ex-pub I'll take a photo. And if it's not on the site I'll add it.

I know Dave went through a period when he wasn't authorising additions of closed pubs, but that was before he let some of us help out with admin tasks. As Alan H has pointed out, we don't delete pubs once they have closed, so why not add those that are already closed?
    So with your dwarf hat on what would you do with this picture
    20200412_180136.jpg
    It's of The Swan, North Warnborough, no reviews and no pictures, it closed over 10 years ago, and had a mysterious fire shortly afterwards., been decaying ever since, its fair to say it was won't be a pub again.
    Worth adding the picture in its current state? In this case I'm not so sure bot any picture better than no picture? There is a decent picture of it in its heyday on Whatpub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 12-04-2020 at 18:15.
    -W.C.Fields

So with your dwarf hat on what would you do with this picture
    20200412_145604.jpg
    I'll link it up later when I'm on my desktop.
    It's of The Swan, North Warnborough, no reviews and no pictures, it closed over 10 years ago, and had a mysterious fire shortly afterwards., been decaying ever since, its fair to say it was won't be a pub again.
    Worth adding the picture in its current state? There is a decent picture of it in its heyday on Whatpub.
    P.s I know it wants cropping a bit.
    More to the point, it needs rotating by 90° clockwise!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    More to the point, it needs rotating by 90° clockwise!
    Doesn't show that on my mobile but the cropping will sort that out.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

A word of warning: there's the problem of photographing sites were once there was a pub as mentioned, but another problem is that of mistaken pubs. All but about 10 of my reviews are for pubs that I've actually visited but these 10-odd relate to 19th century - or earlier - buildings in Oxford, added on the assumption that they were former pubs, but in reality they are replacement shops/dwellings on the site of former pubs and not a former pub. Thus my review typically reads: "This is not an old pub, but a replacement'.

Rare, but it can happen: The Plough