Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona Quiz 4:

This Space For Hire

Default Corona Quiz 4:

And now, from London, it's the Quiz of the Week!

1. The first person to die from assault injuries on a train was taken to which former pub for emergency treatment?

2. What have King’s Cross station and a former Mudchute/E14 pub got in common?

3. What does a St. Pancras station statue share with a common national pub name?

4. Commonly included in national pub names, an intended statue of what animal is missing from King’s Cross station?

5. Beer barrels stored in St. Pancras station’s undercroft were dispatched from which town?

6. Which former London railway facility is associated with the storage of gin?

7. Which Fleet Street pub would you associate with a bird?

8. What have two Stoke Newington pubs got in common with London’s old Daily Express building, materially speaking?

9. Which Oxford pub has a name influenced by the gambling industry?

10. Which Oxford pub might be described as being Hobbit forming?
    Last edited by Tris39; 05-04-2020 at 19:56.

I know 3 off the top of my head and can take a stab at 2 others. The rest require research. Great to see another quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

1. The first person to die from assault injuries on a train was taken to which former pub for emergency treatment?

3. What does a St. Pancras station statue share with a common national pub name?

4. Commonly included in national pub names, an intended statue of what animal is missing from King’s Cross station?

5. Beer barrels stored in St. Pancras station’s undercroft were dispatched from which town?

8. What have two Stoke Newington pubs got in common with London’s old Daily Express building, materially speaking?

1 Mitford Arms
    5 Burton on Trent
    7 Ye Old Cock Tavern
    10 The Eagle & Child

That's the best I could do without google, though on nos 1 I did a search to confirm the pub name, I knew the story and thought it was Mitford something, wasn't sure if it was Arms , Tavern or something else.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Wasn't 1 a murder over an assault? Or was it an assault till it ended in murder?
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 05-04-2020 at 23:27.

This Space For Hire

For 2 I am guessing that you are thinking of the Cubitt Arms (in what was Cubitt Town), the name of the designer of King's Cross station, although the area/pub was actually named after William, the Lord Mayor of London who developed the area, while the station designer was in fact his brother Lewis. William was also the consulting engineer of the Great Northern railway and curiously his brother was appointed to do the work! If that wasn't confusing enough, many people wrongly think it was the third and more famous brother, Thomas, who designed a lot of central London including the frontage of Buckingham Palace. But not King's Cross.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=Mobyduck;107182]
    7 Ye Old Cock Tavern[QUOTE]

Ahhh...I forgot about that one though the one I have in mind isn't quite so obvious!
    Last edited by Tris39; 06-04-2020 at 19:58.

This Space For Hire

Fleet St is round the corner from the Strand.Spike Mulligan once said
    A bird in the Stand is worth two in Shepherds Bush.You can continue with the quiz now. Snigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

1, I think the perpetrator was German but I need to dig deeper
    3. I thought there were only two statues in St P, neither seems to connect with a pub name
    4. Good to see another railway question especially one with a Yorkshire connection
    5. I sort of gave the answer in quiz 3
    7. I suspect this is the one that used to lurk under the Daily Express building but that closed in 1991 apparently
    8. Still looking for Black Glass
    9. I've never drunk in Oxford but there are at least two pubs that the fit the bill listed on here, and another that's going to the dogs but is an outsider.
    10. If I'm correct then according to its website entering through a wardrobe would be an equally valid clue.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Fleet St is round the corner from the Strand.Spike Mulligan once said
    A bird in the Stand is worth two in Shepherds Bush.You can continue with the quiz now. Snigger.
    There is the ruder version involving Kate Bush. fnarr fnarr

Is number 7 the stuffed parrot in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese?