Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corona Quiz 4:

This Space For Hire

For 7 I would offer The Popinjay although that is going back a bit. Which leads me to suspect no. 8 is the Army & Navy and the Rose & Crown.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Is number 7 the stuffed parrot in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese?
    Oh dear. My research is lamentable as you're quite right, but it's not the pub I was thinking of. On reflection, the question should have been: Which three Fleet Street pubs would you associate with birds? The answer is even more obscure.
    Last edited by Tris39; 07-04-2020 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Oh dear. My research is lamentable as you're quite right, but it's not the pub I was thinking of. On reflection, the question should have been: Which three Fleet Street pubs would you associate with birds? The answer is even more obscure.
    I went with the Poppinjay which I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I went with the Poppinjay which I went to.
    Me too, this is what I have so far

1. Mitford Castle
    4. Gresley's duck
    5. Burton upon Trent
    7. Poppinjay
    9. The Punter, it could of course be The Turf or even The Angel & Greyhound
    10. Eagle & Child or Bird & Baby as Tolkien and CS Lewis called it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Me too, this is what I have so far

1. Mitford Castle
    4. Gresley's duck
    5. Burton upon Trent
    7. Poppinjay
    9. The Punter, it could of course be The Turf or even The Angel & Greyhound
    10. Eagle & Child or Bird & Baby as Tolkien and CS Lewis called it.
    I went for Poppinjay and Turf Tavern. I found the answer to 6. Yeah man, the answer's really cool.

This Space For Hire

Answers:

1. The first person to die from assault injuries on a train was taken to which pub for emergency treatment?

Top O'The Morning Originally the Mitford Castle and now demolished.

2. What have King’s Cross station and a former Mudchute/E14 pub got in common?

Influenced by Moscow's riding school, Lewis Cubitt designed King's Cross station though not The Cubitt Arms named after Lord Mayor, William Cubitt. Lewis's brothers, William and Thomas were even more famous architects/builders but the three aren't related to William the Mayor.

3. What does a St. Pancras station statue share with a common national pub name?

St. Pancras' only external statue, it's Britannia which is mounted atop the central stepped gable.

4. Commonly included in national pub names, an intended statue of what animal is missing from King’s Cross station?

The pub is any Dog & Duck and the statue in question should have been at the feet of Sir Nigel Gresley at King's Cross, designer of the Mallard which terminated here. The duck statue was withdrawn (or abandoned) after complaints from Gresley's family.

5. Beer barrels stored in St. Pancras station’s undercroft were dispatched from which town?

Burton-on-Trent.

6. Which former London railway facility is associated with the storage of gin?

The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm. Originally used as a service depot and engine turntable, it was obsolete after only about 10 years. The building spent most of its life as a storage facility for Gilbey's gin.

7. Which Fleet Street pub would you associate with a bird?

The Old Bell - designed/built by Sir Christopher Wren.

8. What have two Stoke Newington pubs got in common with London’s old Daily Express building, materially speaking?

The The Army & Navy and The Rose & Crown (and a few others) both have white Vitrolite ceilings. The former Express Building employs probably the country's largest expanse of [black] Vitrolite.

9. Which Oxford pub has a name influenced by the gambling industry?

The Turf Tavern - shortened from turf accountant.

10. Which Oxford pub might be described as being Hobbit forming?

The Eagle & Child is the 'official' J. R. R. Tolkien (and C. S. Lewis) pub.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Answers:

1. The first person to die from assault injuries on a train was taken to which pub for emergency treatment?

Top O'The Morning Originally the Mitford Castle and now demolished.

2. What have King’s Cross station and a former Mudchute/E14 pub got in common?

Influenced by Moscow's riding school, Lewis Cubitt designed King's Cross station though not The Cubitt Arms named after Lord Mayor, William Cubitt. Lewis's brothers, William and Thomas were even more famous architects/builders but the three aren't related to William the Mayor.

3. What does a St. Pancras station statue share with a common national pub name?

St. Pancras' only external statue, it's Britannia which is mounted atop the central stepped gable.

4. Commonly included in national pub names, an intended statue of what animal is missing from King’s Cross station?

The pub is any Dog & Duck and the statue in question should have been at the feet of Sir Nigel Gresley at King's Cross, designer of the Mallard which terminated here. The duck statue was withdrawn (or abandoned) after complaints from Gresley's family.

5. Beer barrels stored in St. Pancras station’s undercroft were dispatched from which town?

Burton-on-Trent.

6. Which former London railway facility is associated with the storage of gin?

The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm. Originally used as a service depot and engine turntable, it was obsolete after only about 10 years. The building spent most of its life as a storage facility for Gilbey's gin.

7. Which Fleet Street pub would you associate with a bird?

The Old Bell - designed/built by Sir Christopher Wren.

8. What have two Stoke Newington pubs got in common with London’s old Daily Express building, materially speaking?

The The Army & Navy and The Rose & Crown (and a few others) both have white Vitrolite ceilings. The former Express Building employs probably the country's largest expanse of [black] Vitrolite.

9. Which Oxford pub has a name influenced by the gambling industry?

The Turf Tavern - shortened from turf accountant.

10. Which Oxford pub might be described as being Hobbit forming?

The Eagle & Child is the 'official' J. R. R. Tolkien (and C. S. Lewis) pub.
    One of my first jobs as an apprentice glazier was repairing broken panels of vitrolite in peoples bathrooms.