Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub Snacks

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Cheese & Onion crisps for me, I had an egg in a bag during the No38 pub crawl we did in a pub with about 10 varieties of pickled eggs, possibly the Cock Tavern in Hackney?
    Definitely the Cock Tavern, I remember that. They have a few strange varieties in there.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Definitely the Cock Tavern, I remember that. They have a few strange varieties in there.
    Highly likely 'twas the Cock. They also had vegetarian port scratchings on our visit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post

Indeed it was.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cock tavern eggs.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	2001
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Indeed it was.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cock tavern eggs.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	2001
    I had the yellow one but I suspect they all taste the same - vinegary
    egg

Incidently when you order a Takehome Taproom from Roosters you get four
    different snacks as well as the beer, a quiz and some music choice by
    famous dikhead Pete Brown,

This Space For Hire

They aren't your normal Booker Chef's Larder/Makro ones. Seen the posh ones ages ago round here as a Gloucestershire company. We did the maths when in a pub in Frome that was selling them, can't remember the difference between buying online for posh big jar against walking into my local Booker but there is as hell of a difference per egg.

This Space For Hire

I too am quite partial to a pickled egg in a packet of crisps. The posh ones are in rice vinegar which is less acrid, if anyone cares - they have been at GBBF for quite a few years.

I have come across a few pubs with home made ones, but don't ask me where!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

I think pickled eggs were a very big East End thing. The most gastrofied pub I've seen them in is The Sutton Arms and I think the Southampton Arms sells them. They are standard fayre in fish 'n' chip shops here.
    I love eggs in all their forms and pickled things too. When I was a kid, I'd always sprinkle Sarson's on my fried eggs. I've never been tempted by a pickled egg, though I was never sure if they were pickled in vinegar or brine. If the former, aren't they incredibly rubbery?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think pickled eggs were a very big East End thing. The most gastrofied pub I've seen them in is The Sutton Arms and I think the Southampton Arms sells them. They are standard fayre in fish 'n' chip shops here.
    I love eggs in all their forms and pickled things too. When I was a kid, I'd always sprinkle Sarson's on my fried eggs. I've never been tempted by a pickled egg, though I was never sure if they were pickled in vinegar or brine. If the former, aren't they incredibly rubbery?
    Was in a Chinese resteraunt and said to the waiter this chicken is rubbery.He said glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Was in a Chinese resteraunt and said to the waiter this chicken is rubbery.He said glad you like it.
    Benny Hill lives !

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I recollect a canal trip in Yorkshire many moons ago when we stumbled upon a pub giving out all manner of stuff; roast potatoes, black pudding and lord knows what else. Will have to do some digging and see if I can find where it was.
    Yorkshire pubs tend to be quite generous with pub snacks, particularly on a Sunday. The best place I came across was The Shepherds Boy, Dewsbury. My daughter was having a riding lesson nearby and I'd snuck away for a swifty. The bar had several platters of pork pies, scotch eggs, black pudding and bread with 'mucky fat' (beef dripping, to non-Yorkshire folk). Marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    My friends always get crisps and peanuts but I find they get annoyingly stuck in my teeth for hours on end.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It's not just me, then.
    Peanuts are my snack of choice, (bags only) but I praise the Lord for TePe brushes! Being of a certain age, once I've emptied my bladder, on returning home, I often have a quick session clearing my gums.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.