Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona Quiz 02:

I've got answers to 19 of them and they don't tally with some answers above!
    The American President one is making me lose the will to live!
    It's numbers 6 and 11 that I knew off the top of my head. I did know the Ruth Ellis one but had forgotten the answer.
    Re the tube station one, Seven Sisters gets its name from a group of large trees. I'm not aware of there having been a pub of that name there. Of course, that doesn't mean there wasn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I had an inspired moment and now have answers to all 20. The one I'm least sure about is the one that claims to be the oldest. This quiz was much harder than my one for which I knew all the answers!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 31-03-2020 at 16:29.

This Space For Hire

I've got answers to 19 of them and they don't tally with some answers above!
    It's numbers 6 and 11 that I knew off the top of my head. I did know the Ruth Ellis one but had forgotten the answer.
    Re the tube station one, Seven Sisters gets its name from a group of large trees. I'm not aware of there having been a pub of that name there. Of course, that doesn't mean there wasn't!
    One of the pubs I had in mind is indeed just off the Seven Sisters Road - I'd certainly like to make any corrections to the data I have, so if you want to suggest corrections, I'd love to hear.
    Answers to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    One of the pubs I had in mind is indeed just off the Seven Sisters Road - I'd certainly like to make any corrections to the data I have, so if you want to suggest corrections, I'd love to hear.
    Answers to follow...
    I don't believe I've ever been to a pub in the Seven Sisters area! I got my answers by looking into your soul and summoning the answers. That's a load of cobblers but I do have a rough idea of areas you drank in and (in a high pitched Monty Python / Terry Jones voice) quite honestly young man, you've got more money than sense! I also suspected that you are in the Historic Interior brigade and I was certainly right about that!
    My future is currently more uncertain than most others but if you visit Seven Sisters then I'm sure you will want something better and I'm happy to meet up in the Bell and / or Rose & Crown but preferably not a Friday or Saturday night.
    I'm going to PM you my 20 answers.

This Space For Hire

Answers:

1. Early 20th century architects John T. Quilter and A. E. Sewell are most closely associated with designing pubs for which two brewers respectively?

Younger’s and Courage. E. g:

Clarette
    The Wheatsheaf

The Royal Oak
    The Golden Heart

2. What was the name of the former West’s brewery?

Three Crowns Brewery.

3. Which claims to have the oldest history?

The White Hart (the Seven Stars is regarded as having the oldest surviving fabric of any London pub).

4. Where would you go to see a cat wearing a white collar?

The Seven Stars

5. Which is named after what was London’s tallest occupiable structure until 1991?

Tower Tavern

6. Was, until it closed around 2002, the city’s highest?

Jack Straws Castle

7. Said to have the first bar made of mahogany?

Wilton's

8. Outside which did Ruth Ellis, the last women to be hanged in Britain, commit her capital offence?

The Magdala Tavern

9. Was immortalised in an Edwardian music hall song by Florrie Forde?

[Down at ] The Old Bull & Bush

10. Which six, past and present, give their name to areas and tube stations?

Ye Olde Swiss Cottage
    The Porchester (formerly Royal Oak).
    The Manor House
    The Angel
    Hero of Maida
    Elephant & Castle

11. Is mentioned in the children’s nursery rhythm Pop Goes the Weasel?

[Up and down the City Road, in and out] The Eagle

12. Where would you see on display a clock, hands frozen at the precise time that the pub was hit by a zeppelin bomb?

The Dolphin Tavern

13. Which would you visit to partake in the Swearing on the Horns ceremony?

The Wrestlers

14. Recently renamed, this is the pub where the last man in Britain to die fighting a duel expired?

The Colonel Fawcett

15. Which is named after a person said to be the inspiration for The Tatler and The Spectator?

The Sir Richard Steele

16. Which erroneously displays the countenance of an American president above the entrance?

The Washington

17. Which has recently been renamed to reflect the work of a film director at the nearby former Gainsborough Studios?

North By Northwest

18. Which was designed by the architect responsible for a striking cathedral in Liverpool?

The Festival Inn

19. Which is known as the ‘official’ Madness pub?

Dublin Castle

20. Which was supposedly renamed to commemorate a piece of builder’s machinery which was apparently trapped in the basement during construction?

The Good Mixer

Answers:

6. Was, until it closed around 2002, the city’s highest?

Jack Straws Castle

[/URL]
    Trick question !

5. Which is named after what was London’s tallest occupiable structure until 1991?

Tower Tavern
    The Nat West Yower (as it was) was the tallest London buildinh until the Canary Wharf Tower. Both that and the PO Tower were offices, but neither were truly occupiable (ie residential).

The Nat West Yower (as it was) was the tallest London buildinh until the Canary Wharf Tower. Both that and the PO Tower were offices, but neither were truly occupiable (ie residential).
    The Post Office Tower was occupiable in the sense that you didn't have to work there to go in (there was a revolving restaurant).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Trick question !
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The Post Office Tower was occupiable in the sense that you didn't have to work there to go in (there was a revolving restaurant).
    Yeah but, isn't arguing about the answers part of quiz culture?

" bugger off! I'm only taking the answer on the card" as many pub quiz hosts have uttered.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    There were also some viewing platforms below that if I remember rightly also slowly rotated?? The IRA's activities put paid to it all.