Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona Quiz 01

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Without Google I was able to have a stab at just half a dozen or so.
    1) Shipstones, Home Ales and Kimberley (AKA Hardy's and Hansons)*
    2) Christine Perfect/McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
    7) Benskins (Watford), ABC (Aylesbury Brewing Company), Ansells (Birmingham) (I realise that ABC is probably wrong, because it makes the place name part of the question otiose)
    11) Shap, ... (had to Google the other summit, but at least I now know how to spell it correctly)
    13) Boddingtons, Brakspear
    14) Birmingham
    15) Boys Bitter

* Can I claim an extra half mark for getting the correct number of apostrophes, and in the right place? (Some later logos had no aspotrophes at all, and sometimes no S on Hardy, or no S on either name, but I think Hardy's originally had an apostrophe and Hansons didn't.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'll publish the answers when I think everyone who wants to has had a go. I'm surprised you didn't know the Nottingham & Ind Coope ones,
    The A4 LNER class seems to be causing problems. Maybe it's just a London name, but as a schoolboy it's what they were called, I don't recall anyone ever calling them A4s,
    I used to do a pub quiz. The most memorable win was when the late Mrs Aqualung managed to name all of the Waltons from that horrible TV show! Goodnight LC!
    We used to have a great laugh 3 of us were pretty good at quizzing and our mate Billy who was pretty useless but he had done 15 years in the merchant navy so knew a fair bit about boats and only answered one question about every 3 weeks but it was one that no other team knew.He then worked for about 20 years at Watneys brewer so he wasn't expected to know anything about beer.LOL

This Space For Hire

Apologies I spelt Beattock as Beatcock. My bad.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 30-03-2020 at 21:28.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ungoogled:

1. Hardy & Hansons, Shipstone, Home
    (2. Christine McVie - Guess)
    3. GWR locomotive
    4. Paines
    7. Benskins, Watford; ABC, Aylesbury; Halls, Oxford
    (8. Carnarfon - Guess)
    (10. 15 - Guess)
    11. Shap, Beattock
    13. Brakspears, Boddingtons
    (14. Either Wolverhampton or Brum can't remember which)
    15. Boys Bitter
    16. Gibbs Mew
    Drove up Shap many a time going to Scotland.Had to keep your foot on the brake or in a low gear coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Apologies I spelt Beattock as Beatcock. My bad.

No need to apologise. We need all the laughs we can get.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'm going to post the answers later tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

* Can I claim an extra half mark for getting the correct number of apostrophes, and in the right place? (Some later logos had no aspotrophes at all, and sometimes no S on Hardy, or no S on either name, but I think Hardy's originally had an apostrophe and Hansons didn't.)
    No! See below for what Mrs A called it!

ANWSERS

#7 is a bit disputed. As far as I'm concerned Ansell never went away and was Midlands anyway. The ABC brand was retained on their pubs but was Hall's resurrected?

1) Name the three independent Nottingham area breweries from early CAMRA days. I believe attempts have been made to resurrect all of them. (3 points)

Home, Shipstone & Hardy & Hanson (deliberately gobbledegooked to Handy Hardon by the late Mrs Aqualung).

2) Bearwood in Brum is notable for having a BCA and a reasonable GK pub close to each other. Which famous female songwriter, keyboard player and singer who is most fanous for being a member of a legendary rock band grew up in Bearwood?

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. As Christine Perfect she joined Chicken Shack.

3) What was a Dukedog?

It was an old steam loco that was a cut and shut of the GWR Bulldog & Duke classes. It saw service on the Cambrian Coast lines but struggled to climb up to the Talerddig summit where the line between Shrewsbury and Mach crosses from the Severn valleys to the Dyfi ones. The current crossing point is based at the old Talerddig station and the cutting is clearly visible West of it from today's trains where the 158 DMUs make mincemeat out of the climb.

4) Name the brewery that existed in early CAMRA days in the town of St Neots

Paines

5) From where did the name of the 10cc album "Deceptive Bends" come?

Moby knew it! They had a studio in Dorking and obviously saw the signs on the A24 in the Mole valley under Box Hill.

6) What does the old Welsh nationalist slogan "Cofiwch Dryweryn" mean and refer to? (2 points)

It's Remember Tryweryn. The Tryweryn valley near Bala was flooded to create Llyn Celyn way back in the 1960s. Apart from several farms in the valley being lost, another casualty was parts of the old rail line from Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog. This would have been a prime candidate for preservation given the high elevation and superb scenery when it's not raining.

7) What were the three Southern brewery names that pub giant Ind Coope (aka Allied breweries) resurrected in the 1980s? This was a scam as they had all stopped brewing but can you also name their locations? (6 points).

I had in mind Taylor Walker of East London, Benskins of Watford and Friary Meux of Guildford (much earlier London). A porter called Taylor Walker Main Line was resurrected. I was much too young (shurely shome mishtake?) to remember this beer but did know people that had tried it. Aylesbury Brewery Co was a name retained by Allied and they may well have done an ABC bitter. I don't recall Halls being recreated but may be wrong.

8) What is the major Welsh town that the Led Zeppelin house Bron Yr Aur overlooks?

Machynlleth

9) What was the nickname given to the LNER and BR class A4 steam locomotives?

Streaks!! Was this really just a London thing?

10) How many Batham's pubs currently exist?

11) Name the two major summits that Glasgow and Edinburgh bound WCML trains traverse.(2 poinrs)

Shap & Beattock. If you go ro Scotland travel from Euston!

12) The home depot of steam locomotives had a code that was attached to the front of the locomotive. What places did these codes represent? 81A, 1B, 50A, 60A, 89C? This was prior to 1963 when changes were made. (5 points)

Old Oak Common, Camden, York, Inverness & Machynlleth.

13) Name the two defunct independent breweries from early CAMRA days that had a Bee in their trading logo. (2 points)

Brakspear & Boddington

14) Which English city produced these groups, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath and Duran Duran?

Birmingham

15) In the main, Mild wasn't produced by West of England brewers. What was the nickname applied to the low abv bitters they produced instead?

Boy's Bitter / Boy's Beer

16) Name the defunct Salisbury brewety that produced a fine dark strong ale called Bishop's Tipple?

Gibbs Mew

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ANWSERS

#7 is a bit disputed. As far as I'm concerned Ansell never went away and was Midlands anyway. The ABC brand was retained on their pubs but was Hall's resurrected?

1) Name the three independent Nottingham area breweries from early CAMRA days. I believe attempts have been made to resurrect all of them. (3 points)

Home, Shipstone & Hardy & Hanson (deliberately gobbledegooked to Handy Hardon by the late Mrs Aqualung).

2) Bearwood in Brum is notable for having a BCA and a reasonable GK pub close to each other. Which famous female songwriter, keyboard player and singer who is most fanous for being a member of a legendary rock band grew up in Bearwood?

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. As Christine Perfect she joined Chicken Shack.

3) What was a Dukedog?

It was an old steam loco that was a cut and shut of the GWR Bulldog & Duke classes. It saw service on the Cambrian Coast lines but struggled to climb up to the Talerddig summit where the line between Shrewsbury and Mach crosses from the Severn valleys to the Dyfi ones. The current crossing point is based at the old Talerddig station and the cutting is clearly visible West of it from today's trains where the 158 DMUs make mincemeat out of the climb.

4) Name the brewery that existed in early CAMRA days in the town of St Neots

Paines

5) From where did the name of the 10cc album "Deceptive Bends" come?

Moby knew it! They had a studio in Dorking and obviously saw the signs on the A24 in the Mole valley under Box Hill.

6) What does the old Welsh nationalist slogan "Cofiwch Dryweryn" mean and refer to? (2 points)

It's Remember Tryweryn. The Tryweryn valley near Bala was flooded to create Llyn Celyn way back in the 1960s. Apart from several farms in the valley being lost, another casualty was parts of the old rail line from Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog. This would have been a prime candidate for preservation given the high elevation and superb scenery when it's not raining.

7) What were the three Southern brewery names that pub giant Ind Coope (aka Allied breweries) resurrected in the 1980s? This was a scam as they had all stopped brewing but can you also name their locations? (6 points).

I had in mind Taylor Walker of East London, Benskins of Watford and Friary Meux of Guildford (much earlier London). A porter called Taylor Walker Main Line was resurrected. I was much too young (shurely shome mishtake?) to remember this beer but did know people that had tried it. Aylesbury Brewery Co was a name retained by Allied and they may well have done an ABC bitter. I don't recall Halls being recreated but may be wrong.

8) What is the major Welsh town that the Led Zeppelin house Bron Yr Aur overlooks?

Machynlleth

9) What was the nickname given to the LNER and BR class A4 steam locomotives?

Streaks!! Was this really just a London thing?

10) How many Batham's pubs currently exist?

11) Name the two major summits that Glasgow and Edinburgh bound WCML trains traverse.(2 poinrs)

Shap & Beattock. If you go ro Scotland travel from Euston!

12) The home depot of steam locomotives had a code that was attached to the front of the locomotive. What places did these codes represent? 81A, 1B, 50A, 60A, 89C? This was prior to 1963 when changes were made. (5 points)

Old Oak Common, Camden, York, Inverness & Machynlleth.

13) Name the two defunct independent breweries from early CAMRA days that had a Bee in their trading logo. (2 points)

Brakspear & Boddington

14) Which English city produced these groups, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath and Duran Duran?

Birmingham

15) In the main, Mild wasn't produced by West of England brewers. What was the nickname applied to the low abv bitters they produced instead?

Boy's Bitter / Boy's Beer

16) Name the defunct Salisbury brewety that produced a fine dark strong ale called Bishop's Tipple?

Gibbs Mew
    As I didn't google it .What do you mean by the Led Zepplin house. Am listening to I would rather go Blind by Christine Perfect.One of my favourite bluesy records
    Last edited by london calling; 04-04-2020 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    As I didn't google it .What do you mean by the Led Zepplin house.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bron-Yr-Aur
    Come On You Hatters!