Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Corona Quiz 01

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    9) What was the nickname given to the LNER and BR class A4 steam locomotives?

Streaks!! Was this really just a London thing?
    I guess it's a train-spotters thing.

12) The home depot of steam locomotives had a code that was attached to the front of the locomotive. What places did these codes represent? 81A, 1B, 50A, 60A, 89C? This was prior to 1963 when changes were made. (5 points)

Old Oak Common, Camden, York, Inverness & Machynlleth.
    ...as is this.

I can't think how anyone would have known these two if they hadn't been a huge train enthusiast. Unless they were boning up in expectation of a quiz?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I guess it's a train-spotters thing.
    My favourite train nickname is for the Class 66 (just the mention of which will probably cause steam-age gricers to have apoplexy, but surely the most successful locomotive of all time...) - this can be used as a tie-breaker if you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    My favourite train nickname is for the Class 66 (just the mention of which will probably cause steam-age gricers to have apoplexy, but surely the most successful locomotive of all time...) - this can be used as a tie-breaker if you wish!
    I had to look that one up! I suspect that like the terms weasel and kettle it's derogatory.
    I would probably have gone for the class 47 or 37 diesels. Are the 66 ones freight only? They haven't really been around long enough to make that call have they?

I had to look that one up! I suspect that like the terms weasel and kettle it's derogatory.
    I would probably have gone for the class 47 or 37 diesels. Are the 66 ones freight only? They haven't really been around long enough to make that call have they?
    I've always thought the 66 nickname comes from the shape of the roof over the drivers cab but I could be wrong.

PS, just looked it up, cab roof shape

BTW the first 66 was delivered in 1998 for testing, they are no longer made due partly to emission regulations. The only current UK operators are freight companies.
    Last edited by oldboots; 05-04-2020 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I've always thought the 66 nickname comes from the shape of the roof over the drivers cab but I could be wrong.

PS, just looked it up, cab roof shape

BTW the first 66 was delivered in 1998 for testing, they are no longer made due partly to emission regulations. The only current UK operators are freight companies.
    Yes, I found the reason for the name when I looked it up. What I was getting at was whether they have the capability of hauling passenger trains as I don't think they have any train heating abilities but I don't know for sure. loco hauled trains seem to be largely a thing of the past nowadays. The only ones I cam think of are any class 91 electrics left on the ECML, a few Chiltern line services and the Caledonian sleepers.

This Space For Hire

Based on the Foster Yeoman class 59 that had been around yonks prior.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Based on the Foster Yeoman class 59 that had been around yonks prior.
    Which I also discovered when looking up the nickname!!

Yes, I found the reason for the name when I looked it up. What I was getting at was whether they have the capability of hauling passenger trains as I don't think they have any train heating abilities but I don't know for sure. loco hauled trains seem to be largely a thing of the past nowadays. The only ones I cam think of are any class 91 electrics left on the ECML, a few Chiltern line services and the Caledonian sleepers.
    Class 68 on ECML are hauling passenger service as well, don't know what fittings the 66 has but I'd be surprised if train heating was included.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Class 68 on ECML are hauling passenger service as well, don't know what fittings the 66 has but I'd be surprised if train heating was included.
    No, Class 66 don't have train heating and do not work passenger trains except in an emergency. However for a time they did work on the Caledonian Sleeper, with a second (different) locomotive added just to provide heating.

. loco hauled trains seem to be largely a thing of the past nowadays. The only ones I cam think of are any class 91 electrics left on the ECML, a few Chiltern line services and the Caledonian sleepers.
    Correct, but also the Penzance sleeper, some odd Transport for Wales services and, most significantly, the fleet of new Trans Pennine Nova 3 trains which use Class 68s in push-pull mode, when they get them all working.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Correct, but also the Penzance sleeper, some odd Transport for Wales services and, most significantly, the fleet of new Trans Pennine Nova 3 trains which use Class 68s in push-pull mode, when they get them all working.
    I'd completely forgotten about the Penzance sleeper, I don't recall ever seeing it!
    I wonder if that TFW Rail service is the one for N Wales Assembly members to get to and from Cardiff.
    I didn't know about the Trans Pennine ones.