Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pub Scores

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I think we're generally on the same wavelength, I will however occasionally suffer a bland (or not to my taste) beer to experience a good pub like recently a pint of Bass in the Star Inn in Bath.
    I may try Bass again just to confirm it's the same as when I was cornered into having it in a Uttoxeter pub. I should also add that I avoid reading the reviews BEFORE going to a new pub as I don't want to cloud my judgement. I do look at the scores and once went to a pub in Wellington, Salop thinking with scores that low it must be worth a look. It turned out to be much better, probably refurbished and the beer was OK if unexciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I may try Bass again just to confirm it's the same as when I was cornered into having it in a Uttoxeter pub. I should also add that I avoid reading the reviews BEFORE going to a new pub as I don't want to cloud my judgement. I do look at the scores and once went to a pub in Wellington, Salop thinking with scores that low it must be worth a look. It turned out to be much better, probably refurbished and the beer was OK if unexciting.
    I like to read the reviews once I'm in and have formed an initial impression, partly because it saves my having to write a detailed description when a previous reviewer has already done so. and partly in case there's a particular feature to look at (a second bar that's not obvious, casks hidden away from the bar etc). It's interesting how aligned many of us are, though.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Everyone's median score is usually in the sixes or sevens, which at first I put down to a natural desire to give places the benefit of the doubt. But then it struck me it reflects the places we like to visit. I could go in and write up a few Hungry Horses and it would be unlikely they'd receive more than two points. But life is too short to endure unnecessary suffering.
    I think this is a fair point. I tend to research pubs on WhatPub before I visit an area so I hopefully have a fair idea of what to expect and manage to avoid the dross. Where I have been to a Harvester or the like I may leave a review but no rating, as I find it hard to rate something that really isn't a pub. Similarly I won't leave a rating for an aborted visit, for example where I walked in and found no real ale or it was too busy to get served, but I will leave a comment just to share that experience in case it helps someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    One point that hadn't occured to me before is that some people revise their reviews for revisits, instead of doing a new review, so that a pub may change from, say, a 5 to an 8. In effect, the original 5 score no longer exists. (If this reviewer is the only one who's done a review, the pub's "average" score shifts from 5 to 8.) This affects both the pub's score, and the individual reviewer's average score too. (Compare someone doing two different reviews, one with 5, one with 8 - both scores still exist, and the pub's average is 6.5.)
    I tend to take this approach and will do a new review for a re-visit. My earlier review still stands as that was my experience at that moment in time, and sometimes it is interesting to look through and see how the reviews and ratings change for a pub over time. There are quite a lot of regular contributors who do it the other way though and update their original review. Perhaps part of this is that it keeps their user stats clean in terms of number of reviews added.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I will do a new review for a re-visit. My earlier review still stands as that was my experience at that moment in time, and sometimes it is interesting to look through and see how the reviews and ratings change for a pub over time. There are quite a lot of regular contributors who do it the other way though and update their original review.
    I must admit it's something that gets my goat! I would only ever do it if mine was the only review and if the reason for updating the review (and the rating) was more to do with a change in my perception - a feeling that I'd been overharsh or overgenerous (or just in a bad mood , or drunk ) on the previous visit. I think that if the pub has changed between visits (eg beer quality or selection , refurbishment, new owner/manager, new name), there should be a new review.

Perhaps part of this is that it keeps their user stats clean in terms of number of reviews added.
    I hope you're wrong about this - a case of the tail wagging the dog!

[Sorry about all the emoticons - I don't normally bother, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was having a go at them. It's not something to get worked up about! ]
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I tend to take this approach and will do a new review for a re-visit. My earlier review still stands as that was my experience at that moment in time, and sometimes it is interesting to look through and see how the reviews and ratings change for a pub over time. There are quite a lot of regular contributors who do it the other way though and update their original review.
    I have to admit that I often do the latter if I spot an earlier review of mine. I think it is interesting to note changes (or lack of) and I am far too idle to write all the detail out again. I reckon adjusting the score is only fair, especially if the pub has dramatically changed. Or I was clearly blottoed when I scored it the first time!

My average is an average 6.65 incidentally, with a 2.4 point bias to pubs serving real ale, and 1.3 points for having beer festivals, both of which I suspect are an indication of pubs which look after/have an interest in good beer rather than being a conscious score. I am intrigued as to why I seem to score an extra point to pubs allowing dogs however, never having taken one.

Is it worth adding this facility to the Stats & Features section, and/or are there any others which ought to be there?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I have to admit that I often do the latter if I spot an earlier review of mine. I think it is interesting to note changes (or lack of) and I am far too idle to write all the detail out again. I reckon adjusting the score is only fair, especially if the pub has dramatically changed. Or I was clearly blottoed when I scored it the first time!
    I agree as I want my pub total to be the sane as the pubs reviewed but can I find the few outstanding ones, no I can't!!

I agree as I want my pub total to be the sane as the pubs reviewed but can I find the few outstanding ones, no I can't!!
    Found a couple of them for you:

Ivy House (JD Wetherspoon)
    A Room With A Brew

I agree as I want my pub total to be the sane (sic) as the pubs reviewed...
    Insane, more like.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Found a couple of them for you:

Ivy House (JD Wetherspoon)
    A Room With A Brew
    Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of looking at now redundant notices of openings which I intended to insanely overwrite.

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of looking at now redundant notices of openings which I intended to insanely overwrite.
    And another:

The Crooked Billet