Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Scores

Default Pub Scores

Not the most pressing topic at the moment, but the mind tends to wander in the current tedium.
    when reviewing pubs we have the option of rating the pub between 0 and 10, I know not everyone likes to do so and individually different people have different ideas of the meaning of the scale.
    Personally I find the ratings very useful when researching a crawl, also seeing who rates a pub a certain score you can get an idea of the validity of the score. The main point I want to make is, would it not make sense to enable half point scores, there are some pubs for example I think sometimes a pub is worth a 7.5 rating , better than a 7 but not quite an 8. To me a 7 rated pub is a good pub worth a revisit, whereas once we get into 8,9and 10 territory I consider them elite, destination pubs. Maybe I'm just being to picky, any thoughts.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'm not sure how feasible it would be, and i know we've talked around it before, but maybe there's a way we can show the statistics around this. We already see a pub's mean score, but what about individual reviewers' score - mean and (for those with over, say, 100 reviews) standard deviation. I keep them for myself, and I've got more or less a normal distribution of scores with a mean score of 5.78 and a SD of 1.68. It would be interesting to know how others compare - are they more or less generous/tolerant, more or less optimistic etc.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Try this.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo/ratings/

Dave supplied this some time ago (2017) for your own ratings.

You could choose to publish your own averages on here.

See this thread for caveats on how the numbers are arrived at.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...average+scores
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 26-03-2020 at 15:38.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

For what it's worth here's mine :

Unrated 89
    1 11
    2 30
    3 90
    4 147
    5 206
    6 389
    7 575
    8 386
    9 196
    10 29

As ETA says this is probably a major change to the site with all the grief and risk that entails.
    While I do take notice of the scores the trouble is that pubs are different depending on when you visit. This may be due to various things, timing, live Sport, live music, darts or pool matches or even once for me a Union meeting taking place. Timing also includes the weather as in a heatwave the beer becomes dodgy in lots of pubs.

Just Missed the Round

Interesting! I didn't know this facility existed.

I always thought I erred on the side of generosity compared to many, and my ratings table would confirm that:

Rating ...... No. of times
    Unrated .... 85
    4 .............. 1
    5 .............. 19
    6 .............. 66
    7 .............. 163
    8 .............. 140
    9 .............. 37
    10 ............ 3

For me a 10 is rare, but sometimes you just really enjoy the experience on the day, even if you can't explain why, and can't pick fault with the place. Those places get a 10 from me.

A 9 for me is somewhere that is really decent, consistent beer quality and a decent selection, somewhere I would want to visit time and time again.

An 8 for me is somewhere that is perfectly fine and has a decent real ale selection or some other redeeming feature.

A 7 tends to be somewhere that may be a bit limited in terms of beer selection but may have another redeeming feature, for example I've eaten there and the food was good even if the beer choice was uninspiring. Sometimes a 7 can have a good beer selection but something else lets it down.

A 6 is somewhere that I found OK, but wouldn't rush back to. Somewhere that is OK to try once but nothing to lure me into repeating the experience.

A 5 is somewhere I wasn't keen on for whatever reason.

I have only given one 4 and that for me is somewhere I found unpleasant, the beer was crap, and there was a strange smell to the place and I couldn't wait to drink up and get out.

Sometimes I'll slide up or down one, sometimes I think "this would be a 9/10 if it wasn't so expensive so I'm giving it an 8/10" - you get the idea.

And of course I am only human, so I'm not always perfectly consistent in my approach. But you can't take these things too seriously, as has been pointed out, a lot can depend on the time of day, the day of the week, or external events (eg sports events or St Patrick's Day) that can change the dynamic of a pub experience.
    Last edited by RealAleRobUK; 26-03-2020 at 16:45.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The average rating I've given to pubs is: 6.73
    Rating No. of times
    Unrated 94
    2 -10
    3 -29
    4 -102
    5 -188
    6 -434
    7 -647
    8 -390
    9 -116
    10 -44

This is my score history,reasonable bell curve.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Unrated 29
    1 12
    2 34
    3 28
    4 37
    5 82
    6 103
    7 95
    8 43
    9 12
    10 13

More twos than threes, more tens than nines. Classic sign of heart ruling head. If that was a set of exam marks the moderators would be on my case.

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

My average rating is 6.42 and I have yet to find a pub worth 10 plenty of time yet.

This Space For Hire

Everyone's median score is usually in the sixes or sevens, which at first I put down to a natural desire to give places the benefit of the doubt. But then it struck me it reflects the places we like to visit. I could go in and write up a few Hungry Horses and it would be unlikely they'd receive more than two points. But life is too short to endure unnecessary suffering.