Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Pub Scores

  1. #31
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    In all seriousness I agree with Wills take on things, that said I do find scores very useful. Most people I guess would do a bit of research before embarking on a day in a new town or area, unless of course you were taking an Alan Winfield approach, I take previous (recent) reviews, words as well as scores to get a balanced idea , for example if Sheffield Hatter rates a pub 7/10 and Bucking Fastard gave it an 8 a couple of months later along with a 7 from Rex Rattus a year before I would surmise the pub was well worth including on the list, If Sandy Beech ,first time reviewer said great Fosters and Karaoke !0/10 I am clever enough to guess It would be more like a 3/10 for me.
    That all said a lot can change in pub land over the course of a year, even more so now in the current situation. I think we can forget about the half points.
    Funnily enough I also check other peoples views and you and Bucking Fastard giving high scores as you both like your beer mean more to me than Rex (no offence Rex)as Rex likes pubs with an original interior and the beer is secondary. Don't look at my scores for any help on Sam Smiths pubs as I dislike their cask,think their bottles are great but too pricy and have no interest in their time warp interiors.

  2. #32
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    I would like to see Tric,s average score.

  3. #33
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Funnily enough I also check other peoples views and you and Bucking Fastard giving high scores as you both like your beer mean more to me than Rex (no offence Rex)as Rex likes pubs with an original interior and the beer is secondary. Don't look at my scores for any help on Sam Smiths pubs as I dislike their cask,think their bottles are great but too pricy and have no interest in their time warp interiors.
    ... and I thought it was just me!
    The Fleet Street Cheshire Cheese was much better when Marston's ran it. It was their only London outlet and Pedigree was a proper beer not the dubious mass produced thing it is now. The stairs down to the lower bit would probably be regarded as a Health & Safety issue today.

  4. #34
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Biases are everywhere in life ,and I readily admit that I am biased towards good ale and my scores will reflect that.However one man's meat is another man's poison ,so my scores also reflect my personal beer tastes.However I try to remind myself before writing a review that this is a pub review site ( not a beer scoring site) and I will try to give credit for a great pub even if the beer is disappointing.

    I enjoyed The Cheshire Cheese both when I first went in in the 70's,and again when I reviewed it ,but that doesn't mean I am going to spend the whole night in there.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  5. #35
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I enjoyed The Cheshire Cheese both when I first went in in the 70's,and again when I reviewed it ,but that doesn't mean I am going to spend the whole night in there.
    I had many a lengthy stop there! I wouldn't even bother going there now but there is talk of a new JDW in the Strand, so you never know,,

  6. #36
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Biases are everywhere in life ,and I readily admit that I am biased towards good ale and my scores will reflect that.However one man's meat is another man's poison ,so my scores also reflect my personal beer tastes.However I try to remind myself before writing a review that this is a pub review site ( not a beer scoring site) and I will try to give credit for a great pub even if the beer is disappointing.

    I enjoyed The Cheshire Cheese both when I first went in in the 70's,and again when I reviewed it ,but that doesn't mean I am going to spend the whole night in there.
    Yeah I can see what you are saying but we all leave a sublimable mark in our reviews.You don't see It on your reviews but I do.auqualung does it, real ale ray does it Tris does it and others do.We review pubs with a baise towards what we like and if you do enough reviews it stands out .In its basic form Custodian likes strong beers.No dispute.Rex likes
    heritage pubs. No dispute.I like pubs with interesting new beers -no dispute.

  7. #37
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Ohh this is a good thread for stats!

    Here's mine

    The average rating I've given to pubs is: 6.17

    Unrated 617

    1 18
    2 51
    3 127
    4 256
    5 598
    6 803
    7 853
    8 452
    9 162
    10 32

    Still a nice spread like it was in 2015!

    ScreenHunter_272 Mar. 31 22.20.jpg

    Obviously my own biases in there and I certainly recognise most reviewers ways of scoring, I can guess with a high degree of certainy Moby, PSM or BF's scores without looking at them, just by reading the review!
    Last edited by Quinno; 31-03-2020 at 21:25.

  8. #38
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Obviously my own biases in there and I certainly recognise most reviewers ways of scoring, I can guess with a high degree of certainy Moby, PSM or BF's scores without looking at them, just by reading the review!
    Like most if not all of us 7 is the most common score. I occasionally find myself screaming, smashing my head against the wall and throwing things around the room after seeing a score but I would defend the rights of the reviewer with my life. We're all different and all have different priorities which I'm happy to see have been illustrated lately in these dark days.

  9. #39
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Like most if not all of us 7 is the most common score. I occasionally find myself screaming, smashing my head against the wall and throwing things around the room after seeing a score but I would defend the rights of the reviewer with my life. We're all different and all have different priorities which I'm happy to see have been illustrated lately in these dark days.
    Most of us tend to pick the best rated pubs when we travel to a new destination, so you'd assume we'd cluster there.

    I occasionally 'do a Winfield' in small towns and try and bag every one regardless, which, along with my various challenges over the years where I just do a pub which fits the challenge criteria regardless, accounts for probably 80% of my sub-6 scores.
    Last edited by Quinno; 03-04-2020 at 23:52.

  10. #40
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

    I occasionally 'do a Winfield' in small towns and try and bag every one regardless, which, along with my various challenges over the years where I just a pub which fits the challenge criteria regardless, accounts for probably 80% of my sub-6 scores.
    Ditto
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Similar Threads

  1. Pub Scores
    By Aqualung in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-08-2017, 10:48
  2. The Pub Curmudgeon - Scores on the doors
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2016, 12:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •