Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

[QUOTE=Tris39;109907]

It won't be Bozzer who stops them from opening, it'll be the police and I suspect with quite some force if necessary. Judging from the review of The Fuzzy Duck, it doesn't seem worth visiting anyway.

https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2020/0...moor-park-pub/ From Twitter
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=Wittenden;109909]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Indeed. Judging by the almost complete abandonment of social distancing (other than queuing for the shops), I think people have got cocky. I can well see pubs having their licences revoked; how long does a licence review/application take?

This Space For Hire

This bloke seems to keep contradicting himself.

It won't be Bozzer who stops them from opening, it'll be the police and I suspect with quite some force if necessary. Judging from the review of The Fuzzy Duck, it doesn't seem worth visiting anyway.

Quite true, but the problem is that if 4th July is the official opening day (why does it have to be shared with Independence Day?) and there's a serious spike or second wave in Plague - perhaps a week from now - reopening won't be adhered to: it'll be lockdown all over again, IMHO.
    There will not be any second wave once it has passed through a place.
    Last edited by Spinko; 21-06-2020 at 06:30.

Quite true, but the problem is that if 4th July is the official opening day (why does it have to be shared with Independence Day?) and there's a serious spike or second wave in Plague - perhaps a week from now - reopening won't be adhered to: it'll be lockdown all over again, IMHO.
    Personally I don't think pubs should open on the 4th simply because it's a Saturday.

I'd allow them to open on Monday 6th and let the new measures settle in for a few quieter days, rather than go for the potential mobbing on a Saturday.

If pubs cock it up then we could be back to square 1 in a few weeks.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Personally I don't think pubs should open on the 4th simply because it's a Saturday.

I'd allow them to open on Monday 6th and let the new measures settle in for a few quieter days, rather than go for the potential mobbing on a Saturday.

If pubs cock it up then we could be back to square 1 in a few weeks.
    You could well be right. I walked past Neighbour which is selling takeaway plastic cups of fizz and although the front patio was cordoned off, quite a few people were congregating on the pavement and taking over what is technically the patio from the closed venture next door, including the seating. Perhaps the date has been chosen to please US residents here, but I think people will be queuing for a beer as if the pub were a supermarket - will there be rationing?
    Last edited by Tris39; 21-06-2020 at 18:22.

This Space For Hire

Just announced on Radio 4 News: 'people may have to give their details to pubs so that they can be traced'!!!

And now: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/corona...ouR?ocid=ientp
    Last edited by Tris39; 21-06-2020 at 18:40.

This Space For Hire

Just announced on Radio 4 News: 'people may have to give their details to pubs so that they can be traced'!!!
    It's based on a thing they do in New Zealand

I suspect this is a bit of media speculation and nothing will come of it.

Payment card data should be enough for the contact tracers to go on if a venue is found to be a source of infection.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Payment card data should be enough for the contact tracers to go on if a venue is found to be a source of infection.
    I love the choice of subject for the photo - a little cryptic, but the world's most appropriate pub, nonetheless!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Back to cash it is then!

Not that the risk bothers me now, but I wonder for those still concerned which is the lesser risk:

1) a small micropub with eight people in, but where you are quite close to others;
    2) a large Wetherspoons with fifty people in, but where you can get a good distance from others.

Anecdotes from food processing plants and restaurants suggest good air flow from outside is good mitigation. Air conditioning may help or hinder the situation depending on how it is configured...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Back to cash it is then!
    For reasons of speed - which will be all the more important now - and hygiene, I suspect that pubs may well go card-only.