Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Here's another gloomy forecast. Let's be clear, most people reading this are pub and beer enthusiasts, In my case I'm more of a beer enthusiast but that's not the point. Most of Joe Public aren't. How on earth are pubs going to attract ordinary folk back after what looks loke being a long time? Joe Bloggs will have realised what a poor deal was on offer on Friday night in Central London compared to having beer from the supermarket or even delivered by a local brewery.
    I got an email from Five Points brewery which said I could get three cases of 5.5% JUPA for fifty quid delivered to my door. How many breweries will find this a more convenient and more profitable way of trading after the pubs open again?
    I agree up to a point, but pubs offer a sense of community that can't be afforded by visiting a cafe or hanging out in the park. I would like to think that cabin fever will promote mass pub visiting.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

My thoughts are once doors reopen people will flock back just to be free again, there's four walls and four walls that sell beer.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    My thoughts are once doors reopen people will flock back just to be free again, there's four walls and four walls that sell beer.
    I totally agree. The first few weeks after reopening will see people off to regular haunts and to see which have survived and, sadly, which have not. I for one will be out of the traps immediately.

I'll probably be doing the same but what of the general public? I'm guessing only time will tell.

Agree with Wittenden, bcfczuluarmy and Al: if lockdown ends in time for summer, people will be out celebrating like its 1999 / VE Day and those pubs that do re-open will reap the benefits.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

Yes everyone will be out initially but I have found through long experience that when I only used local pubs some regulars who drank 6 or 7 days a week had to stop drinking for a while for whatever reason rarely went back to the old routine. I think a lot of people will cut back .

Happily my doom laden predictions are being rejected by most. Being pessimistic is one of the pitfalls of being a miserable old git!

I don't know if this has any relevance whatsoever but the local Flower Pot has boarded up windows.
    Like most of the area it's owned by the Ee-Aww Group, There was never such a monopoly in the big six brewery days.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't know if this has any relevance whatsoever but the local Flower Pot has boarded up windows.
    Like most of the area it's owned by the Ee-Aww Group, There was never such a monopoly in the big six brewery days.
    I've seen several pubs that are now boarded up. I suspect that this is to protect them from vandals.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I've seen several pubs that are now boarded up. I suspect that this is to protect them from vandals.
    Indeed. A load of blx going on in some parts I'm afraid. The longer this goes on the more difficulty they'll have keeping a lid on it.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/dc-...sorder-4014879