Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The problem was more a case of HMG crapping themselves about the NHS getting overwhelmed, based on dodgy figures from Neil Fergusson, who of course had form on dodgy figures as he is widely credited with cocking up big time over the Foot & Mouth disease a few years ago. Neil of course was a bit like Cummings in that he decided the rules didn't apply to him when he famously went off to shag his mistress. Anyway it is a matter of record that many elderly people were sent back to care homes with little regard for their infectious status we can only guess at the motivations of "Hancock's half hour", "Boris the Blusterer" and the poor sighted Cummings AKA "The Mekon", unlike Jenrick it's not a simple case of follow the money.
    Agree with all that you say, except that, without checking, I think Ferguson's squeeze went round to his for a shag, not the way you had it. The result is the same whatever.

Hey, if only they were all just plain corrupt. Between narcissism, corruption, blissful ignorance of foreign manipulation, stupidity and good old-fashioned callousness, it's remarkable that these guys keep on getting re-elected. I'm all in favour of a bit of self-harm if that's what you're into, but 40% or more of the electorate going "yes, whip me harder" is something I will never get my head around.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I meant pre penicillin days, 1930s and before - living memory for some. Science based medicine is fairly recent, doctors still believed in unbalanced humours and miasma until the 1840s. Mind you there are people today who believe in the healing powers of crystals, 5g tower created illness and similar tosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Get the leeches out.
    This may look like a building site, but in fact it's the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital - you only need one brick and it's finished!
    Last edited by Tris39; 07-08-2020 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    This may look like a building site, but it fact it's the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital - you only need one brick and it's finished!
    subtle

Grim reading. (I'm not a CA member,by the way.)https://www.countryside-alliance.org...ink-of-closure
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Grim reading. (I'm not a CA member,by the way.)https://www.countryside-alliance.org...ink-of-closure
    Grim indeed.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I suppose you need a good takeaway customer base to survive such as at https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68237/ and their mention of this support programme, which is probably too little.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Get the leeches out.
    or the maggots
    https://biomonde.com/en/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Despite being the most regulated and enforced covid-aware indoor environment (vs say, transport, supermarkets) several reports are appearing along the lines of:
    Boris considers bold move to open pubs and restaurants in April with booze BAN.
    I think ob will be rolling out the neo-pro references in due course. And with good reason if wet-led pubs are left to just go to the wall...
    And in restaurants, everyone will be sat down, table-distanced - what the hell does it matter if diners have wine with a meal or not??

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Despite being the most regulated and enforced covid-aware indoor environment (vs say, transport, supermarkets) several reports are appearing along the lines of:
    Boris considers bold move to open pubs and restaurants in April with booze BAN.
    I think ob will be rolling out the neo-pro references in due course. And with good reason if wet-led pubs are left to just go to the wall...
    And in restaurants, everyone will be sat down, table-distanced - what the hell does it matter if diners have wine with a meal or not??
    I really can't take these reports seriously....
    But then with this tin pot government , who knows.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I'm not going to let you down; it's probably the only theory that fits with what we know.

The headlines could be the Govt floating the idea to see how much resistance there might be, that's a common trick of this lot, possibly something from Cummings' tool box. They have also put out an extreme position so that a less vicious course of action looks reasonable. On the other hand it could be lazy journalism.