Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs near train stations

Default Pubs near train stations

I noticed mention of pub near train stations lists on the BitE thread.

It is something I started a bit of work on about 3 years ago and never quite finished.

If you check out pub pages you'll now find the train stations below the maps are links, it will show you a selection of nearby pubs sorted by distance. The list of pubs is a bit odd at the moment, as the data is from the perspective of the pubs rather than the station. If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.
    I'll vote for useful!

I noticed mention of pub near train stations lists on the BitE thread.

It is something I started a bit of work on about 3 years ago and never quite finished.

If you check out pub pages you'll now find the train stations below the maps are links, it will show you a selection of nearby pubs sorted by distance. The list of pubs is a bit odd at the moment, as the data is from the perspective of the pubs rather than the station. If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.
    This is a good idea. Well done!

When you say the list is a bit odd, does this include how many pubs are listed? For example, there are about 60 pubs listed for Sheffield station, with a maximum range of about a mile. This seems reasonable. Darnall station (on the outskirts of Sheffield, and used by approximately zero passengers per day) has approx. 200 pubs listed, up to nearly seven miles away! Which is quite clearly crazy. Obviously you can't go through station by station, trying to determine which need tweeking, but setting a limit of, say 50 pubs or one mile (whichever is reached first) seems reasonable.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    When you say the list is a bit odd, does this include how many pubs are listed?
    Yes, I will make the data more sensible at some point.

I'd be interested to know what others think should be the limits, as I'm not quite sure how the feature would be used.

Darnall is supposedly the least used station in South Yorkshire with 13,024 passenger entrances and exits in 2018-19, for perspective Sheffield station has about 10,000,000. You can enjoy its delights here

Not sure which is the least used of the 2566 stations in the UK, Barry Links is low at position 2558 with 122 E&E up from a magnificent 24 in 2016/17 but the prestigious least used station is probably a tie between Denton and Stanlow & Thornton at 46 E&E.

Redcar British Steel has shot up the league table mainly I think because people go there as it was the least used in Britain, BTW you can't get out the station.

This Space For Hire

Yes, I will make the data more sensible at some point.

I'd be interested to know what others think should be the limits, as I'm not quite sure how the feature would be used.
    For me, at any rate, it would answer the "I've got half an hour to kill before my train goes, is there a decent pub nearby that isn't the station bar?" question. I'd reckon five minutes walk for a 30 minute layover, a bit more if you've got to hang around longer.

Some places are hopeless anyway. Try Coventry, no station bar and the nearest pub is a shite Litten Tree that isn't worth dodging the traffic for.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 03-05-2020 at 20:21.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Darnall is supposedly the least used station in South Yorkshire with 13,024 passenger entrances and exits in 2018-19, for perspective Sheffield station has about 10,000,000. You can enjoy its delights here

Not sure which is the least used of the 2566 stations in the UK, Barry Links is low at position 2558 with 122 E&E up from a magnificent 24 in 2016/17 but the prestigious least used station is probably a tie between Denton and Stanlow & Thornton at 46 E&E.

Redcar British Steel has shot up the league table mainly I think because people go there as it was the least used in Britain, BTW you can't get out the station.
    Used to go regularly to Barry links in the 60s. No town near only the golf course as I remember.

Very good Dave, however, probably a map problem but if you click on a balloon (pub) on the accompanying map, a bubble appears where presumably the name of the pub should appear, these currently are coming up blank.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Very good Dave, however, probably a map problem but if you click on a balloon (pub) on the accompanying map, a bubble appears where presumably the name of the pub should appear, these currently are coming up blank.
    Well spotted. Name should now appear.

On a side note, with the map I've made it so that if you zoom in it will filter the pub list to only those shown on the map.

On a side note, with the map I've made it so that if you zoom in it will filter the pub list to only those shown on the map.
    Very sophisticated!
    Come On You Hatters!