Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 153

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

  1. #141
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    reminded by oldboots that we were all revisiting the 14th century, as far as science-based medicine is concerned.
    I meant pre penicillin days, 1930s and before - living memory for some. Science based medicine is fairly recent, doctors still believed in unbalanced humours and miasma until the 1840s. Mind you there are people today who believe in the healing powers of crystals, 5g tower created illness and similar tosh.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  2. #142
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I meant pre penicillin days, 1930s and before - living memory for some. Science based medicine is fairly recent, doctors still believed in unbalanced humours and miasma until the 1840s. Mind you there are people today who believe in the healing powers of crystals, 5g tower created illness and similar tosh.
    Get the leeches out.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #143
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    If you believe in the Buffalo Theory which I do to a small extent.We could have let the disease run its course and any survivors would probably be immune. We of course have a different attitude to decease and illness now so we have tried to outrun it but the cost to our economy and future wellbeing may be a big price to pay.Yes as a smoker I have been toying with the Buffalo theory for years so I am happy to gamble my life but I cant do that as I might infect others .Catch 22?

  4. #144
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The other thing about asymptomatic spreaders is that if people routinely ignore the distancing regime and gather together in large crowds, the virus is going to get passed around more and more. The more contacts you meet, the more chance there is that you'll pick up a critical viral load, and the more chance there is that your immune system won't be able to deal with it.

    I'm not sure how many of the so-called random tests Spinko refers to have taken place - my understanding was that anyone with symptoms can request a test, but only medical staff were being routinely tested. If that is right, but those tests are stopped for whatever reason, then medical staff who have the virus but are not showing symptoms, instead of self-isolating, will be going back onto wards where they can pass on the virus to others.

    Up to now, I have been going back to pubs on the basis that people are being careful to keep themselves, other pub goers and pub workers safe. I haven't seen any careless pubgoers, apart from that one half-hour in Ramsbottom(#47), and even that wasn't exactly like a Roman orgy. Hopefully I'm going to the right sort of pubs. If those pubs start to be invaded by people who think it's all been a bit overblown and it's about time everyone had a really good night out, perhaps I'll need to think again.
    I've not got a link to the stats to hand, but the prevalence is somewhere around one in 5000. That's so low as to be likely all false positives.

    There is also no evidence that asymptomatic people can spread the disease.

    Quite frankly the disease has done the rounds and has pretty much vanished from the UK. We now need the Coronavirus Trials for the Siege of Caffa despatch of the infected en masse into care homes, but I expect we'll need a change of government first.

  5. #145
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    We now need the Coronavirus Trials for the Siege of Caffa despatch of the infected en masse into care homes, but I expect we'll need a change of government first.
    Are you suggesting that the government deliberately arranged for people with coronavirus to be put into care homes in order to reduce the number of elderly and infirm people cluttering up the care system? There's only one person in this rabble of rowdy rebels who has sufficient brain power to think of that, and he was probably in County Durham at the time.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #146
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Are you suggesting that the government deliberately arranged for people with coronavirus to be put into care homes in order to reduce the number of elderly and infirm people cluttering up the care system? There's only one person in this rabble of rowdy rebels who has sufficient brain power to think of that, and he was probably in County Durham at the time.
    They ought to have known the consequences and it shows a callous disregard. Similar happened in places with appalling fatality rates, northern Italy, New York, Sweden.

    The other callousness is the illegal, unnotified, Do Not Resuscitate markers put on the records of disabled but otherwise young and healthy.

    This Will all come out some time and mark my word it'll be Hillsborough X 100.

  7. #147
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    They ought to have known the consequences and it shows a callous disregard. Similar happened in places with appalling fatality rates, northern Italy, New York, Sweden.

    The other callousness is the illegal, unnotified, Do Not Resuscitate markers put on the records of disabled but otherwise young and healthy.

    This Will all come out some time and mark my word it'll be Hillsborough X 100.
    You are probably right about callousness. There's certainly a lot more of that quality than intelligence in this "government of all the talentless"*. It took 30 years for Hillsborough to reach any sort of resolution, and even then the outcome in terms of people admitting responsibility was a long way from what the families of the victims were looking for. I, for one, do not have 30 years to wait for this one to be resolved!



    *Suella Braverman in particular is mesmerically dim, with a classic Channel 4 News interview with the attorney general suggesting not only that she could be outperformed at the dispatch box but that she could be outperformed by the dispatch box. Or indeed any other item of furniture in the Palace of Westminster.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #148
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You are probably right about callousness. There's certainly a lot more of that quality than intelligence in this "government of all the talentless"*. It took 30 years for Hillsborough to reach any sort of resolution, and even then the outcome in terms of people admitting responsibility was a long way from what the families of the victims were looking for. I, for one, do not have 30 years to wait for this one to be resolved!



    *Suella Braverman in particular is mesmerically dim, with a classic Channel 4 News interview with the attorney general suggesting not only that she could be outperformed at the dispatch box but that she could be outperformed by the dispatch box. Or indeed any other item of furniture in the Palace of Westminster.
    This time there are more written records. Dispersed written records So big pay rises for NHS for the foreseeable?

    (Hillsborough is only my second football memory, as I recall it being reported on the radio as we sat outside my grandma's care home in Worsley.)

  9. #149
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    (Hillsborough is only my second football memory, as I recall it being reported on the radio as we sat outside my grandma's care home in Worsley.)
    I was at work in a betting shop in Morley, my second job - I also worked at the casino in Leeds - as my partner was at home with our two daughters; the younger one was just two months old, she's now 31.
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #150
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Are you suggesting that the government deliberately arranged for people with coronavirus to be put into care homes in order to reduce the number of elderly and infirm people cluttering up the care system? There's only one person in this rabble of rowdy rebels who has sufficient brain power to think of that, and he was probably in County Durham at the time.
    The problem was more a case of HMG crapping themselves about the NHS getting overwhelmed, based on dodgy figures from Neil Fergusson, who of course had form on dodgy figures as he is widely credited with cocking up big time over the Foot & Mouth disease a few years ago. Neil of course was a bit like Cummings in that he decided the rules didn't apply to him when he famously went off to shag his mistress. Anyway it is a matter of record that many elderly people were sent back to care homes with little regard for their infectious status we can only guess at the motivations of "Hancock's half hour", "Boris the Blusterer" and the poor sighted Cummings AKA "The Mekon", unlike Jenrick it's not a simple case of follow the money.
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

Similar Threads

  1. Why are most of new pubs/bars that open crap?
    By Al Bundy in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-12-2019, 10:25
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 09:14
  3. How Many Pubs and Bars Open a week/Year
    By Mobyduck in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-05-2014, 19:43
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-09-2013, 15:17
  5. Pubs open after midnight in Birmingham
    By whitmorereans in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-11-2011, 20:00

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •