Ads not shown when logged in
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Nice choice of pub on your marathon length walks.Are you sure you will make it home after a few pints .
    Yes. -made it there last night. I thought the front room was a bit of a disappointment and needs work but the rear is very nice with some decent beer and low prices for Broadway Market, especially during the plague. I only had the one as I was planning on going to unvisited - by me - pubs: Hackney Tap and Hand of Glory, but having messed up my timings, I had to resort to mid-air refuelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Yes. -made it there last night. I thought the front room was a bit of a disappointment and needs work but the rear is very nice with some decent beer and low prices for Broadway Market, especially during the plague. I only had the one as I was planning on going to unvisited - by me - pubs: Hackney Tap and Hand of Glory, but having messed up my timings, I had to resort to mid-air refuelling.
    The app ordering in the Hackney Tap would have done your head in, it did mine.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I've decided to adopt a 'No apps, no QR codes' approach, which has worked in all 90-odd pubs I've been in since the first lockdown. My stock line when I'm greeted at the entrance of a pub and talk turns to signing in or ordering is to point out that my phone can't read QR codes or download apps, which is mostly true and which no-one is going to bother to verify. I've been able to sign in using good old-fashioned pen and paper in every single pub I've been to since the first lockdown ended and by highlighting my technological shortcomings, they almost always send someone straight over to take my order face-to-face.

The only time I've had problems with this approach has been in Wetherspoons, as they tend to let you wander in and find a seat rather than putting someone on the door who you can explain all this to - the upshot being that you then have to try and catch someone's eye to get served.

This Space For Hire

intrigued how you get to Hackney from Ladbroke grove. Swiss cottage >Camden> Islington >hackney? Lots of permutations .Whats yours?

This Space For Hire

No problems last night, as reviewed. And oddly my pint of Five Points Pale was 20p cheaper than the Pembury next door which is their tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I've decided to adopt a 'No apps, no QR codes' approach...
    I don't mind the QR thing at the door but draw the line at 'apps' and especially online ordering: "Add drink to your basket". The problem is, you don't always know the protocol until you get to your seat, as I found out in the Hackney Tap last night and the Dove the day before. Thankfully in both instances the staff allowed common sense to prevail with just oral orders and contactless payment.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    intrigued how you get to Hackney from Ladbroke grove. Swiss cottage >Camden> Islington >hackney? Lots of permutations .Whats yours?
    I was actually doing the whole walk as a 22-mile daily loop but this has not been good for my health, so I usually get the tube to Mile End or Bethnal Green, walk up to Stoke Newington and then through Islington then Camden; so just a much more relaxed 17 miles yesterday.

No problems last night, as reviewed. And oddly my pint of Five Points Pale was 20p cheaper than the Pembury next door which is their tap.

I don't mind the QR thing at the door but draw the line at 'apps' and especially online ordering: "Add drink to your basket". The problem is, you don't always know the protocol until you get to your seat, as I found out in the Hackney Tap last night and the Dove the day before. Thankfully in both instances the staff allowed common sense to prevail with just oral orders and contactless payment.
    Yes common sense prevailed in my Tap experience but only after 5 minutes of fiddling around and getting nowhere.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Yes common sense prevailed in my Tap experience but only after 5 minutes of fiddling around and getting nowhere.
    You should try following Pubsignman's advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    My stock line when I'm greeted at the entrance of a pub and talk turns to signing in or ordering is to point out that my phone can't read QR codes or download apps, which is mostly true and which no-one is going to bother to verify.
    Come On You Hatters!

I gave up worrying about the NHS Test and Trace app and now use it instead of manually signing in because it's much quicker.

However, I don't want to clog my phone up with time-consuming and annoying pubco apps that I might ever only use once, so it now works like this:
    1) Wander up to the bar after signing in, knowing that you are likely to be told off, but saying you are taking a look at the pump clips.
    2) Ask nicely for a pint of whatever takes your fancy and then sit down somewhere obvious.
    3) Beer gets delivered without having to wait for somebody to notice that you are getting increasingly thirsty.
    4) Immediately pay by contactless, and thus saving the need to attract somebody's attention again later.

Result = much quicker service + staff only have to make one trip to the table, rather than three.

Exception: Wetherspoon's app, which works very well and is (almost always) up-to-date with food and drink availability.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I gave up worrying about the NHS Test and Trace app and now use it instead of manually signing in because it's much quicker.

However, I don't want to clog my phone up with time-consuming and annoying pubco apps that I might ever only use once, so it now works like this:
    1) Wander up to the bar after signing in, knowing that you are likely to be told off, but saying you are taking a look at the pump clips.
    2) Ask nicely for a pint of whatever takes your fancy and then sit down somewhere obvious.
    3) Beer gets delivered without having to wait for somebody to notice that you are getting increasingly thirsty.
    4) Immediately pay by contactless, and thus saving the need to attract somebody's attention again later.

Result = much quicker service + staff only have to make one trip to the table, rather than three.

Exception: Wetherspoon's app, which works very well and is (almost always) up-to-date with food and drink availability.
    I've only just worked out how to use the NHS app. I thought one waved it in front of the little box thing.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've only just worked out how to use the NHS app. I thought one waved it in front of the little box thing.
    Do remember there are two NHS apps, the test and trace one which you wave at the QR code, and the general one which holds your vaccine records. You can book appointments and order repeat prescriptions on it too.