Ads not shown when logged in
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    SIGH indeed.
    I agree with what you are saying about vaccines. I'm not saying that your frustration with the selfish or misguided people who refuse, for no good reason, to get vaccinated is mis-directed; merely that not wearing a mask in places where the law now requires it, because you don't see why you should protect them, is - because you could not only directly cause harm to others who *are* vaccinated, but you could also cause harm to yourself by inadvertently encouraging others to refuse to wear their masks too. Masks have a limited effect, but they are most protective when the vast majority of people wear them.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I "You could also cause harm to yourself by inadvertently encouraging others to refuse to wear their masks too. Masks have a limited effect, but they are most protective when the vast majority of people wear them".
    As for wearing masks or not, It is too easy to "Follow the Sheep!"
    I went to a late night takeout in Llangollen to collect my order. It was packed out on a Saturday night with not a mask in sight, staff or customers! I was a sheep and did not wear one. i would have felt like an oddball to do so and expected mocking comments.
    a few days later, I went to a Chinese takeout a few miles away. All the staff and all the customers were wearing one. If i had forgotton my mask, I would not have gone in to the shop. I do feel sad that I copied the crowd and did not make my own decision!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    As for wearing masks or not, It is too easy to "Follow the Sheep!"
    I went to a late night takeout in Llangollen to collect my order. It was packed out on a Saturday night with not a mask in sight, staff or customers! I was a sheep and did not wear one. i would have felt like an oddball to do so and expected mocking comments.
    I've been on trains where, until recently, I was one of very few wearing a mask, and once the only mask wearer on my carriage. I didn't feel I was on the receiving end of any mockery, but I did think "what's the point".
    Come On You Hatters!

I've been on trains where, until recently, I was one of very few wearing a mask, and once the only mask wearer on my carriage. I didn't feel I was on the receiving end of any mockery, but I did think "what's the point".
    If you are the only complier in a given situation there is no point as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to wear one if everyone is playing the game but thought it was a nonsense when mandatory in pubs
    to have to walk in with one , sit down and take it off.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    If you are the only complier in a given situation there is no point as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to wear one if everyone is playing the game but thought it was a nonsense when mandatory in pubs
    to have to walk in with one , sit down and take it off.
    One person gets on a train, the only passenger in the carriage, thinks what's the point in wearing a mask and takes it off

Second passenger gets on, observes sole maskless occupant, can't see the point in wearing a mask and takes it off.

Third passenger gets on, notes a majority of non mask wearers, takes mask off. (Can you see where this is going.)

49th passenger gets on - hey, it's Mobyduck! All 48 passengers are without masks, but every single one of them would have continued to wear a mask if everyone else did.

50th passenger gets on - it's someone from Sheffield, wearing a hat of some sort as well as a mask. "Hey, Mick", he says. "Why aren't you wearing your mask?".
    Come On You Hatters!

One person gets on a train, the only passenger in the carriage, thinks what's the point in wearing a mask and takes it off

Second passenger gets on, observes sole maskless occupant, can't see the point in wearing a mask and takes it off.

Third passenger gets on, notes a majority of non mask wearers, takes mask off. (Can you see where this is going.)

49th passenger gets on - hey, it's Mobyduck! All 48 passengers are without masks, but every single one of them would have continued to wear a mask if everyone else did.

50th passenger gets on - it's someone from Sheffield, wearing a hat of some sort as well as a mask. "Hey, Mick", he says. "Why aren't you wearing your mask?".
    Difference being , someone gets on the empty train/carriage, my mask goes on. If I get on the carriage with 20 people already on not wearing a mask, I won't bother , theres no point (certainly only the barest minimal personal health benefit) apart to making some sort of personal stance to 20 people who obviously don't give a f*^k.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 21-12-2021 at 19:42.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Difference being , someone gets on the empty train/carriage, my mask goes on. If I get on the carriage with 20 people already on not wearing a mask, I won't bother , theres no point (certainly only the barest minimal personal health benefit) apart to making some sort of personal stance to 20 people who obviously don't give a f*^k.
    Or perhaps some of those 20 people have taken the same stance as you! There is definitely a domino/sheep effect. I have seen quite a few people getting on a train masked, looking around and realising no one else is bothering, then taking it off. To be honest I very rarely wore mine between July and December so I can’t get on my high horse about it.

I’m struggling to see what the end goal of restrictions is at this point, I must admit. Three vaccines, three lockdowns, months of working from home, several cancelled holidays later - who am I actually protecting at this point? It’s time for some very tough conversations about the way forward in the New Year. I suspect it’s not going to be pretty..

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    I’m struggling to see what the end goal of restrictions is at this point, I must admit. Three vaccines, three lockdowns, months of working from home, several cancelled holidays later - who am I actually protecting at this point?
    I suspect it's less 'who' than 'what' - the 'what' being our sainted NHS (and therefore, politicians), I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    With vaccines in use for over a year now, the feeble argument that these are 'new' or 'untested' doesn't even hold water any more, if indeed it ever did.
    Not true I am afraid.. There are still many complex medical conditions where the effects of these new vaccines have not been fully tested. For example I have a colleague who suffered from ME for many years but has been largely recovered for 10 years. Unfortunately his first jab triggered the ME again and it took him 6 -9 months to get back to where he was.
    Another friend who broke his neck 5 years ago and suffers from complex neural problems was virtually told that they do not know if the vaccine will affect his condition or not.
    And then there is a growing swell of evidence that certain covid vaccines have some unexplained effects on the menstrual cycle of certain women (causing heavier bleeding for example).
    There are reasons why to approve a new vaccine usually takes at least 10 years...

I was happy to be a guinea pig for the new vaccines because I weighed the risks to me personally to be greater from catching covid itself. But I have no disrespect for those that have more complex medical issues who currently choose not to be one.

Those that choose not to have the vaccine because they think its a government conspiracy......... well thats different....
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'm quietly confident that the current overblown hysteria - It's going to double every day for weeks! Tens of thousands in hospital! Thousands will die of COVID! (but we'll stealth in the word with as well because people don't understand the difference) etc - will prove to be a load of old baloney. Once that becomes clearer come the end of January we can finally get back to seeing sense, living with the damned thing and being proportionate in responding to future events.
    I remain confident; this thing is not the second coming of the plague*

Looking forward to 2022 being the first almost 'normal' year for a long while. I have a lot of unspent leave rolled over from furlough to be spent next year. Halifax, Kings Lynn, Leek, Belfast, Glasgow - here I come!!

* - further variations - of which we yet know nothing - notwithstanding.