Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

2D5EBD37-17CB-4996-9F4C-AC1C0711797D.jpeg

Cheers everyone, from The Beehive on Monday, which is why I look frozen.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Popping out Friday as on a half day. My usual favourite in Stockton has put a huge covering over all seats - so a pleasant day at 11C in strong sunshine would instead be chilly.

So it'll probably be the Dubliners, which has seating pretty much all the way around the pub - due diligence on wind direction and use the building as a windbreak, while remaining in the sun.

I saw 100 or maybe more there on Monday evening. Never usually more than about 20.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A very nice afternoon session in the Waggon yesterday.
    Glad to see you're in the Waggon at last and no longer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Yeah, it's grim up north.
    Certainly grim up North London.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Cheers everyone, from The Beehive on Monday, which is why I look frozen.
    Looks like I'll have to look further north than Stoke Newington.

This Space For Hire

THhe Eat Out to Help Out link at the bottom of this page, as an example. Do we still need this?

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

We got the last table at the Masons, Billinge yesterday. It was full for most of the night, perhaps a younger than usual crowd. Beer spot on as always but hope I won’t have to order it through an app for too much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    THhe Eat Out to Help Out link at the bottom of this page, as an example. Do we still need this?
    No.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Beer spot on as always but hope I won’t have to order it through an app for too much longer.
    The Euston Tap's app was clunky and you had to re enter your card details for every order,a pain during a long session yesterday.At least it was "just turn up and grab a table" and there were far more tables than usual and also outside the East Lodge.Table service was slow,but with most of the other pubs on the walk up from Kings Cross not opening yet,trade was brisk throughout the evening session.

Just three cask ales on,which had all run out by 9pm.(The Hammerton N7 was spot on however). The keg Five Points XPA was a pale shadow of the cask version,but had to suffice thereafter.There were 12 other keg options.

Anyone aware of any other central(ish) London pubs with a large outside space which doesn't need to be booked and offers decent real ale ?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 17-04-2021 at 11:42.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    We got the last table at the Masons, Billinge yesterday. It was full for most of the night, perhaps a younger than usual crowd. Beer spot on as always but hope I won’t have to order it through an app for too much longer.
    Even worse is when you have to order not through an app, but through the pub's website, entering bank details after every drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The Euston Tap's app was clunky and you had to re enter your card details for every order,a pain during a long session yesterday.At least it was "just turn up and grab a table" and there were far more tables than usual and also outside the East Lodge.Table service was slow,but with most of the other pubs on the walk up from Kings Cross not opening yet,trade was brisk throughout the evening session.

Anyone aware of any other central(ish) London pubs with a large outside space which doesn't need to be booked and offers decent real ale ?
    I admire your stoicism in going to the Euston Tap. I passed it yesterday around 11.00 and the thought of drinking outside with six lanes of roaring traffic, screaming sirens and aggressive begging would tip me over the edge.

I can't think of any relatively large garden pubs centrally where bookings aren't necessary: Alwyne Castle, Edinboro Castle, Clissold Park Tavern, Pub On The Park and Royal Inn On The Park for example, all want bookings.
    And I can't vouch for the beer - The Railway Tavern Ale House is down to three pumps with no clips and The Jolly Butchers, which is probably the joint best real ale pub in the whole of Hackney, was spotted last night as having no pump clips either.

Your best bet is the pavement for centrally located seating is at The Barrel Vault (JD Wetherspoon).
    Last edited by Tris39; 17-04-2021 at 18:35.

Five pubs yesterday in easternmost Kent. No apps, no pub websites, no ordering hassle.
    Last edited by rpadam; 17-04-2021 at 18:44.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Five pubs yesterday in easternmost Kent. No apps, no pub websites, no ordering hassle.
    Probably explains why the Kent Variant spreads. (smiley)