Ads not shown when logged in
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Probably explains why the Kent Variant spreads.
    For clarity, all were following the rules (e.g. NHS Test and Trace via app or on paper) - I meant no need to book or order via an app or website.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    For clarity, all were following the rules (e.g. NHS Test and Trace via app or on paper) - I meant no need to book or order via an app or website.
    Yeah, I think we got it first time. John was just having a bit of fun!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yeah, I think we got it first time. John was just having a bit of fun!
    I was confident of that, but as I am just about the review them, I didn't want somebody else putting 2 + 2 together and getting the wrong answer in a way that might cause an issue for the landlords concerned.

This Space For Hire

What has shown up is the very poor capability of most pubs in relation to on-line presence/social media. With some notable exceptions (plus a lot of chain pubs on group websites of course), the majority of pubs seem to have great difficulty in putting anything on their websites regarding whether they are open or closed. Many are still showing their pre-March 2020 status; some even still claiming weekly quiz nights etc. Facebook is a bit better, and a good number have comments about opening on April 12 or whenever, some even listing opening hours, food serving times etc, but this is far from the norm. It is pretty basic marketing to keep customers informed of when they can buy from you, and sticking a blackboard out the front is not really up to the job anymore!

Sadly of course some will be like this because they have gone out of business and there is no-one to update things. A great tragedy, but even more reason for survivors to announce themselves.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post

I admire your stoicism in going to the Euston Tap. I passed it yesterday around 11.00 and the thought of drinking outside with six lanes of roaring traffic, screaming sirens and aggressive begging would tip me over the edge.

I can't think of any relatively large garden pubs centrally where bookings aren't necessary: Alwyne Castle, Edinboro Castle, Clissold Park Tavern, Pub On The Park and Royal Inn On The Park for example, all want bookings.
    And I can't vouch for the beer - The Railway Tavern Ale House is down to three pumps with no clips and The Jolly Butchers, which is probably the joint best real ale pub in the whole of Hackney, was spotted last night as having no pump clips either.

Your best bet is the pavement for centrally located seating is at The Barrel Vault (JD Wetherspoon).
    Thanks Tris ,helpful as ever.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    What has shown up is the very poor capability of most pubs in relation to on-line presence/social media. With some notable exceptions (plus a lot of chain pubs on group websites of course), the majority of pubs seem to have great difficulty in putting anything on their websites regarding whether they are open or closed. Many are still showing their pre-March 2020 status; some even still claiming weekly quiz nights etc. Facebook is a bit better, and a good number have comments about opening on April 12 or whenever, some even listing opening hours, food serving times etc, but this is far from the norm. It is pretty basic marketing to keep customers informed of when they can buy from you, and sticking a blackboard out the front is not really up to the job anymore!
    I totally agree - I am continually amazed about how little marketing effort many wet-led tenanted and freehouse pubs make.

Some may rightly think that they will only ever serve their immediate locality and not have a website or any social media presence at all; but many do, and then make little or no effort to keep them updated.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    What has shown up is the very poor capability of most pubs in relation to on-line presence/social media..
    It's down to the amateurish nature of much of the Trade. I've grumbled about this before. Today we sat ourselves down and the waitress came over. "What bitters have you got?" Blank look. "I'll have to go and find out". I mimed pulling a handpump and the penny dropped, "Oh you mean ales!" Maybe she thought I meant Campari or Angostura. Second thoughts I doubt that she would have had a clue if I ordered a Campari-soda. Anyway we finally got a drink of Grainstore Red Kit and it was a nice drink. What really impressed her was that my card worked on her machine without me taking it from my wallet. I fear Northants education department gave up on this one.

But what should happen is that every morning the guvnor should go through with the staff what beers are on and their characteristics like strength and style. Basic professionalism really. Even if you were allowed inside and could eyeball the pump clips they should still know what they are selling.

Another thought. Legally shouldn't a price list be displayed? There no point it being inside if you're not allowed in to peruse it.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 18-04-2021 at 19:27.

This Space For Hire

Don't think you have to display a price list inside or out nowadays .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Thanks Tris ,helpful as ever.
    Hardly an ideal location along Pancras Road, but it is central and away from 90% of Euston Road's traffic and aggressive begging - very close to the canal if that's your favoured means of transport.
    Last edited by Tris39; 19-04-2021 at 18:25.

Barring some great disaster I am venturing out to the pub tomorrow for the first time this year. The plan is a mini crawl of The Maverick , Red Lion , The Starving Rascal and The Robin Hood Inn . Fingers crossed

I am a salmon !!