Ads not shown when logged in
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: How Will Pubs Open?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I was presented with a contender for my shortest ever pint at my local.
    I reckon you could fit that one in a schooner!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Some musings here at around the 53-minute mark - no mention that table service will probably increase the price of a pint by around 12.5% due to service charge.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Some musings here at around the 53-minute mark - no mention that table service will probably increase the price of a pint by around 12.5% due to service charge.
    Hence some pubs doing as much as possible to avoid providing table service. Full table service means taking the order, fulfilling it, checking if another drink is required, issuing the bill and taking payment. A phone app removes all the back and forth apart from delivering the order, and two or three orders can be delivered in one trip. That doesn't mean they won't up the prices anyway.

I gave up the app game after one day. Especially if outside I want to know what beers are available, and that means asking a human being if all the sodding app says "Doom Bar" and "Guest Ale" and you know very well they have two or three. And by the time I'd got my credit card details in to the bloody thing's satisfaction I was losing the will to live.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I gave up the app game after one day. Especially if outside I want to know what beers are available, and that means asking a human being if all the sodding app says "Doom Bar" and "Guest Ale" and you know very well they have two or three. And by the time I'd got my credit card details in to the bloody thing's satisfaction I was losing the will to live.
    The 'spoons app is good though, as all the current beers in a pub are listed, or you can use the 'Ale Finder' feature to find out what's available (at the time of checking) before you get there.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The 'spoons app is good though, as all the current beers in a pub are listed, or you can use the 'Ale Finder' feature to find out what's available (at the time of checking) before you get there.
    You have to want to get there.

You have to want to get there.
    Quite so, but sometimes I do (especially for a pre-walk breakfast when I'm out and about).

This Space For Hire

I gave up the app game after one day.
    I've decided to give in and go to the pub for the first time since early November. It'll probably be the Dove Free House, weather permitting, as it's on my frequent walking route, even though I live nowhere near here. But if they try to take me down the app route, I'll walk. I don't mind Apple Pay, but I draw the line at apps.

I've decided to give in and go to the pub for the first time since early November. It'll probably be the Dove Free House, weather permitting, as it's on my frequent walking route, even though I live nowhere near here. But if they try to take me down the app route, I'll walk. I don't mind Apple Pay, but I draw the line at apps.
    Of the 20 different pubs I've been to since 12 April (45 pub visits in total), only one has even tried to suggest that I might like to use their app, and in that one I had to use cash because their card machine wouldn't work outside. Everywhere else has been card or cash (or both).
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Nice choice of pub on your marathon length walks.Are you sure you will make it home after a few pints .

This Space For Hire

Pub tonight, QR code to their website on table first reverted card saved details on phone to revert to expiry date as 12/20 once QR scanner actually directed you to the link, All 3 of us out expirienced this. OK change last digit to end digit beers arrived. Second issue "Opps can't process payment" OK tried it 5 times between 2 of us. Assured no payments taken after paying via card machine. Hmm I had to show my statement to get a refund last year in open season to get a refund after same/similar issue. Then to top it off website wouldn't load to even attempt to order.

Thankfully they have some tab and card wielding idiots that even after a week+ of being in use/getting used to serving indoors are hopeless after farcialy service on Sunday afternoon and told shutting at 6 just to top it off.

Just let us just return to order at bar, even if we queue in a line over 3 deep because we do it anyway being British. If this crap becomes "new norm, back to norm or a reason to increase prices based on "additional staff required to meet government legislation", then people will get pissed off despite enjoying the experiance at present just so they can go to a pub.

Plus going the bar gets your steps in and not the bar staff's. As you can tell I'm not a fan of any of what we endure at present. If a Landlord calculated lost beer sales on delay of selling stock I'm sure they may agree it's OK to be open but I'm not making as much as I could.

Oh and don't get me started on booking and pub roulette without a booking made.

I may have missed some other gripes, maybe this should've gone in pub annoyances...
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 25-05-2021 at 22:55.