Ads not shown when logged in
Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4484929394
Results 931 to 939 of 939

Thread: pubs galore bar

  1. #931
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, tried the whisky tipped into my beer glass tonight, and it certainly made a difference. Not only does the whisky boost the alcohol content of the beer (from a mundane 7.5% to, by my reckoning, around 9.8%), but the additional flavour helps to mask that made-in-a-factory aroma that the Gold Label brings. Quite a success!
    Wasn't the old slogan 'Strong as a double scotch'?, though as an innumerate non- barley wine and spirit drinker I'm probably not qualified to comment.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  2. #932
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    You're on a slippery slope there Will...
    Enjoying it while I can, Jim! (Don't worry, I only had one.)
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #933
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Wasn't the old slogan 'Strong as a double scotch'?, though as an innumerate non- barley wine and spirit drinker I'm probably not qualified to comment.
    I don't think I was aware of that one. But let's work with it: a 33cl can of Gold Label 7.5% is 2.48 units of alcohol. If your standard measure for a whisky is 25ml, a 40% double Scotch is 2.00 units. (But a nip of Gold Label back in the day might have been only 275ml, say - at 7.5% that's pretty close to the double whisky.)

    I don't know about other measures - is there a 35ml spirit measure? I asked about this when I was in Dumfries last autumn and saw that they had a spirit measure for sale in the whisky shop. They said surely 25ml is enough; more would be the slippery slope? (I think they must have been aquainted with Trainman.) I said I'd prefer 35ml, because if I fancy a larger drink, it'll turn out to be 50ml (if I've only got a 25ml measure).

    But I think I read somewhere that Gold Label was 10.6% back in the day and my attempt to recreate this was only 9.8% - a 35ml measure of whisky would have got me there, I reckon. Either that or a stronger whisky. Decisions, decisions.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #934
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't think I was aware of that one. But let's work with it: a 33cl can of Gold Label 7.5% is 2.48 units of alcohol. If your standard measure for a whisky is 25ml, a 40% double Scotch is 2.00 units. (But a nip of Gold Label back in the day might have been only 275ml, say - at 7.5% that's pretty close to the double whisky.)

    I don't know about other measures - is there a 35ml spirit measure? I asked about this when I was in Dumfries last autumn and saw that they had a spirit measure for sale in the whisky shop. They said surely 25ml is enough; more would be the slippery slope? (I think they must have been aquainted with Trainman.) I said I'd prefer 35ml, because if I fancy a larger drink, it'll turn out to be 50ml (if I've only got a 25ml measure).

    But I think I read somewhere that Gold Label was 10.6% back in the day and my attempt to recreate this was only 9.8% - a 35ml measure of whisky would have got me there, I reckon. Either that or a stronger whisky. Decisions, decisions.
    I remember the strong as a double whisky adverts, they were in print media usually on the back of Private Eye or in "gentlemen's art pamphlets" IIRC, that was of course in more robust days before the emasculated children and Neo-Pros took over with their 14 units guff.

    Under the Weights and Measures Act 1963 the standard spirit measures used to be 1/6 of a gill (24ml) mostly in England & Wales and 1/5 of a gill (28.5ml) mostly in Scotland and NI, although a quarter gill was also allowed; metrication rounded the measures up to 25ml and 35ml in the 1985 Act.

    They sound like a load of pussies in Dumfries, what would Burns think?

  5. #935
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Under the Weights and Measures Act 1963 the standard spirit measures used to be 1/6 of a gill (24ml) mostly in England & Wales and 1/5 of a gill (28.5ml) mostly in Scotland and NI, although a quarter gill was also allowed; metrication rounded the measures up to 25ml and 35ml in the 1985 Act.

    They sound like a load of pussies in Dumfries, what would Burns think?
    I know! A shop full of whisky and they're worried about the state of my liver? Does not compute.

    This was just down the road from Burns Howff, which I'd been hoping to visit when I was there last September, but according to a notice on the door they were planning on opening in November. (Think again, lads.) I consoled myself with a whisky or two.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #936
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,819

    Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

    Very cold and a bit of rain today in Sheffield; this is not the weather for sitting in beer gardens.

    Luckily the World Snooker Championship was on TV at the Sheffield Hatters Inn, so I stayed in with a bottle of Gadds Chairman of the Board Barley Wine 8.5%. This is one of a delivery received six or seven weeks ago from the Ramsgate brewery: four each of No.3, No.5 and Dogbolter, and two each of this one and High Tide. The latter is a 7% Strong Ale, and like the barley wine is a little pricey at £4.80 for a 500ml bottle.

    These beers are all bottle conditioned, a fact which I'd forgotten when selecting a half pint glass from the cupboard, but in fact the second pouring came out as clear as the first. There's a little bit of fizz on the tongue, but it's very light and not at all intrusive. All these Gadds beers use English hops, and the barley wine is an absolute classic. Well balanced with hops, malt and alcohol all playing their part, but at 8.5% not so strong that you forget where you left the remote control when it's time for the mid-session interval. Speaking of balance, there was world class snooker on the telly, and a world class beer in my glass.

    I'm left praying for more rain tomorrow.
    Come On You Hatters!

  7. #937
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    I suppose you would need something strong to keep you awake watching snooker. Snigger

  8. #938
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Coming out of lockdown last night at The Flaneur's Arms and passing close to the gravity of the all-inviting Tapping the Admiral with one table available, rejected due to the weather. A couple of minutes later, passing a bottle shop and not having had a single beer - ale at least - since 1st October, I bought one bottle each of ELB's Cowcatcher at 10p a bottle less than delivery price and new to me, ELB's Peacock at delivery price.
    Both tasted amazing after seven month's abstinence and thankfully, the climate delivered it at the perfect temperature.

  9. #939
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Another trip to the bottle shop last night to encounter a diminished choice.
    Plumped for ELB's Nightwatchman first which didn't really match the description. It was in fact a little bland and probably not something I'd buy again, given the choice.

    Second up, a bottle of Foundationn. This was more like it. A lot more bitter and less sweet than the description with a bolder flavour and longer finish than the Nightwatchman, despite the lower ABV; a very good Best Bitter.

Similar Threads

  1. What Pub v Pubs Galore
    By gillhalfpint in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17-01-2015, 08:22
  2. Pubs Galore App
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 12:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •