Ads not shown when logged in
Page 64 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    this tier four hell continues for too long.
    I'm afraid you're not going to get a lot of sympathy from us in the area known as "It doesn't count it's not London" matey.

My last pint in a pub with a substantial meal was lunchtime on the 4th November.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 30-12-2020 at 11:59.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I'm afraid you're not going to get a lot of sympathy from us in the area known as "It doesn't count it's not London" matey.

My last pint in a pub with a substantial meal was lunchtime on the 4th November.
    Not looking for sympathy just an open pub, preferably without a substantial meal. It will be a while yet I reckon.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Second 440ml can from Siren Craft tonight is Sold My Soul for Citra 7.3%, which the blurb tells us, somewhat redundantly, is "a celebration of Citra", someone-or-other's favourite hop. The blurb continues, in a sort of technobabble that seeks to justify the high price I've paid for this beer so that you don't have to: "We're using this magical hop in four different formats to provide the widest possible spectrum of flavour and aroma. Between Incognito®, T90®, Cryo® and BBC® we're pushing mango, grapefruit and citrus notes to the limit, with a mix of soft tones, intense highlights, clean bitterness and layers of impact."

The beer pours in a similar fashion to the previous one, and looks much the same in the glass, with just a hint of a haze that may derive from the oats which are the only difference in the malt bill. The head is frothy at first but soon subsides, and the mouthfeel is smooth, with a touch of carbonation detectable but not off-putting. The oats give a smoothness that is quite pleasant, but the main flavour on the tongue is crisp banknotes making their way to the developers of the Incognito, T90, Cryo and BBC versions of someone's favourite hop. Well, at £5.60 for a short pint, someone has got to be making something tasty from this beer, and it had better not be the writer of the blurb. (What is a "layer of impact"?)

Actually, to be fair, this is a pretty good beer; not one I could see myself drinking over and over again - think of the cost! - but I certainly don't dread drinking the second can in a few weeks. Point to ponder: would this beer work on hand pump in a pub? Or on keg? I think the latter would probably turn out to be too cold and too gassy, while the hand pump version would be too expensive for most people and would go off before reaching the bottom of the barrel; also, being thrashed around by a tight sparkler would make a mess of the subtle influences - sorry, "layers of impact" - of the four different versions of someone's favourite hop.

Speaking of which: Mick, if you're with us, you should ask someone to buy you a few of this one as a late Christmas present. (If they haven't already.)
    I am on a Whatsapp beer group with my son and son in law and about a month ago suggested Siren were a tad disappointing recently and were not a must buy if you see them.Was in a bottle shop and they had about 20 different Siren beers but decided at the price they were asking not to bother. They seem to be firing out new beers left right and centre.

This Space For Hire

Having said that would love to have a pint of Broken Dream stout on cask sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Having said that would love to have a pint of Broken Dream stout on cask sometime soon.
    May be a while.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    May be a while.
    Try Easter.

Just grabbed four pints of takeaway cask from The Alfred, two of Disruption Chaos More Chaos , a 5% NEPA, think murk and pineapple , and two of Disruption How To Dress For The Apocalypse, a 5.5 % Black IPA, not had this before so will find out once the Chaos has gone in an hour or so.
    -W.C.Fields

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Beers from Aldi

I had a bit of room left in my basket at Aldi yesterday, so I had a look at the cans and bought two 33cl cans from Williams Brothers, or rather two of each of Klute and Brel, their West Coast and Belgian IPAs, which I'll save until next year. The other was a 440ml can of a "hop forward pale ale".

The can is very shiny, with silver writing on a light blue background. The beer is attributed to The Hop Foundry, but I can't find any suggestion of this being a pseudonym for a known brewery. The beer is called The Hop Stepper, a 4.5% hop forward pale ale, “crafted in small batches” and featuring First Gold, Summit and Chinook hops. It poured moderately frothy and had a not unpleasant carbonation. First flavour impression was lemon sherbet, but this was short-lived, with a vague malty taste attempting to break through, alongside what I guess would have been the First Gold. The finish was slightly bitter, with an earthy metallic flavour that was, to be honest, not particularly enjoyable; this was made worse by accidentally taking a rather large swallow, which left me with a gassy afterburn in my oesophagus. A fittingly bad beer for my last of 2020.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Beers from Aldi

I had a bit of room left in my basket at Aldi yesterday, so I had a look at the cans and bought two 33cl cans from Williams Brothers, or rather two of each of Klute and Brel, their West Coast and Belgian IPAs, which I'll save until next year. The other was a 440ml can of a "hop forward pale ale".

The can is very shiny, with silver writing on a light blue background. The beer is attributed to The Hop Foundry, but I can't find any suggestion of this being a pseudonym for a known brewery. The beer is called The Hop Stepper, a 4.5% hop forward pale ale, “crafted in small batches” and featuring First Gold, Summit and Chinook hops. It poured moderately frothy and had a not unpleasant carbonation. First flavour impression was lemon sherbet, but this was short-lived, with a vague malty taste attempting to break through, alongside what I guess would have been the First Gold. The finish was slightly bitter, with an earthy metallic flavour that was, to be honest, not particularly enjoyable; this was made worse by accidentally taking a rather large swallow, which left me with a gassy afterburn in my oesophagus. A fittingly bad beer for my last of 2020.
    Hop Foundry is an Aldi brand that other drinkers have tried to pin down.No conclusive answers but possibly Hogsback. General opinion is crap beer.

General opinion is crap beer.
    That's what my taste buds told me.

Happy New Year to John, Mick and anyone else who's lurking in the Pubs Galore Bar.

Things can only get better! (Can't wait until we can close this ramshackle old place down and go back to drinking in pubs.)
    Come On You Hatters!