Ads not shown when logged in
Page 50 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't know how anyone could not rate their beers. I think it's more that most people never come across them. I remember drinking their Ebulum 6.5% (elderberry ale) in the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak/Kentish Town about 10 years ago, and March of the Penguins in Remedy in Stockport in 2017. Apart from that, I can't remmeber seeing their beers on the bar except in Scotland or Berwick on Tweed.

When I mentioned Williams Bros to the owner of one of my local micropubs, he just gave me a blank look. Strangely, the only beer of theirs I don't think much of is Fraoch, the heather beer that got them started in 1988. (Too sweet for me, I guess.)
    Have had 14 beers from Williams who regularly sent beers to London but not seen them for a while.Strangely enough my favourite is Fraoch.I had Ebulam which I found rather sweet and dull (probably keg)at the Berlin Beer Fest where Williams had a stall.Decent brewer but no great beers imo.

This Space For Hire

Just had some Proper Job and Ghost ship.Have now decided the Ghost ship is my favourite so no more PJ in future. Getting fed up with the hazy murky fruity beers that's why I have been drinking a few of these recently.
    Last edited by london calling; 27-06-2020 at 22:44.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Just had some Proper Job and Ghost ship.Have now decided the Ghost ship is my favourite so no more PJ in future.
    Wow! Isn't Ghost Ship almost, dare I say it, mainstream?

Getting fed up with the hazy murky fruity beers that's why I have been drinking a few of these recently.
    Have you thought about getting a check up? You don't sound quite right.

How about a pint of Bass - that'll sort you out.
    Come On You Hatters!

Have had 14 beers from Williams who regularly sent beers to London but not seen them for a while.Strangely enough my favourite is Fraoch.I had Ebulam which I found rather sweet and dull (probably keg)at the Berlin Beer Fest where Williams had a stall.Decent brewer but no great beers imo.
    Well, if I had a Christmas card list, and if you were on it, that would be you scratched.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Wow! Isn't Ghost Ship almost, dare I say it, mainstream?

Have you thought about getting a check up? You don't sound quite right.

How about a pint of Bass - that'll sort you out.
    You are mistaking me for the other guy who used to rant about Doom and Bass.

You are mistaking me for the other guy who used to rant about Doom and Bass.
    I don't think so!
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn

Just one beer last night, but what a beer: St Mars of the Desert Babalu Imperial Russian Stout 10%. This 440ml can set me back all of £6.50 at Beer Central in Sheffield market. When I flipped the tab the beer spurted and I lost about two pence worth of strong smelling stuff. It poured with a frothy, light tan head that half filled my glass. The taste is somewhere between Toblerone and fruit cake, with a spot of brandy in it. There's a bit of fizz on the tongue, but the beer is so velvety smooth that it's not at all distracting. There's a lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate, vegan friendly of course. More please.

Actually, that was written while still on the first 220ml of the can. By the time I'd reached the last 110ml or so, I had had enough. There's not enough complexity, not enough bitterness-to-balance-the-sweetness to justify drinking the best part of a pint of this stuff. Whereas the Harveys Imperial Extra Double Stout 9% that I'd drunk the night before seemed to change character quite a bit in the course of the hour or so it took to drink. At the start there was elderberry tartness, roasted malt robustness and a hoppy, bitter finish. At the end, as the beer warmed up slightly, there was vanilla and dried fruit too; or instead. That was a 275ml nip bottle. Now 440ml of that one...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I haven't been as diligent as you in the sourcing of my beer.My excuse is that DHL have screwed up a mixed case delivery from Titanic.DHL suggest contacting the seller if something goes wrong ,so I phoned Burslem only to find out that if DHL break some bottles (it's happened before) they then don't deliver,nor contact Titanic or the customer to tell them whats happened.The nice lady at Titanic will use a different carrier to express deliver a new mixed case ASAP.Good people
    That's terrible. Why on earth do they still use them?

I don't know if diligent is the right word! More like hunter/gatherer obsessiveness. I've been lucky with my deliveries, too. No breakages, everything well packed. And two of this week's orders, Allendale and Williams Bros, from Northumberland and Scotland respectively, arrived together in the same van. Definitely luck rather than judgment.
    I ordered 24 cans of Marble's Manchester Bitter around 7th June. The order arrived on 10th but the delivery driver didn't give me the chance to get to my entryphone so disappeared with my beer in a puff of smoke, sending me an email that I'd been left a contact card for re-delivery - he didn't. I thought they'd call again so after eight days I rang Marble who were amazingly apologetic and said they'd had loads of problems with broken bottles, lost deliveries, etc...I couldn't work out why they were persisting with the same courier; they told me they'd find my order and send again. Still dry, I rang them again yesterday after more than a week since they said they'd contact me, and I couldn't get through. Will try again tomorrow, but all I want now is my nearly sixty quid refunded rather than the beer - I wouldn't order from Marble again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Will try again tomorrow, but all I want now is my nearly sixty quid refunded rather than the beer - I wouldn't order from Marble again.
    A great shame that you’ve had a poor experience but I’d put it more down to the courier than the brewery.

My own experience with Marble, having ordered from them for years, has always been positive and reliable. Over the past 12 weeks deliveries have arrived, without need for a signature, within 2 days of ordering unfailingly. In times past, when they regularly delivered bottles, they’ve occasionally contacted me before I had the chance to talk to them to let me know of any breakages and the replacement arrangements.

I suspect that once the courier is used to the delivery then things become much easier.

Worth bearing in mind that it isn’t a huge brewery but it does brew great beer.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire

Just one beer last night, but what a beer: St Mars of the Desert Babalu Imperial Russian Stout 10%. This 440ml can set me back all of £6.50 at Beer Central in Sheffield market. When I flipped the tab the beer spurted and I lost about two pence worth of strong smelling stuff. It poured with a frothy, light tan head that half filled my glass. The taste is somewhere between Toblerone and fruit cake, with a spot of brandy in it. There's a bit of fizz on the tongue, but the beer is so velvety smooth that it's not at all distracting. There's a lingering aftertaste of dark chocolate, vegan friendly of course. More please.

Actually, that was written while still on the first 220ml of the can. By the time I'd reached the last 110ml or so, I had had enough. There's not enough complexity, not enough bitterness-to-balance-the-sweetness to justify drinking the best part of a pint of this stuff. Whereas the Harveys Imperial Extra Double Stout 9% that I'd drunk the night before seemed to change character quite a bit in the course of the hour or so it took to drink. At the start there was elderberry tartness, roasted malt robustness and a hoppy, bitter finish. At the end, as the beer warmed up slightly, there was vanilla and dried fruit too; or instead. That was a 275ml nip bottle. Now 440ml of that one...
    I know its exciting drinking beers but please wait till you have drank the portion allotted before reviewing.