Ads not shown when logged in
Page 48 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Third beer from Stiro Beers is Tomos & Lilford Annwyl 5%, brewed with added rose petals to "celebrate the ladies of Llantwit Major, who once lured marauding pirate invaders to their demise, saving our town." I was a little doubtful about buying this one, but it's proved to be interesting. Though as sometimes seems to happen with brews made with unusual ingredients, it pours a reluctant head which disappears within seconds. There's a perfumy aroma, and I thought I detected a touch of yeast bite too. I remember this from occasional disasters when I used to do a bit of home brewing, and this one has it very subtly both on the nose and in the mouth. It would be quite easy to miss it if you hadn't experienced it before, and it's mostly drowned out by the sweetish flavour of rose petals. But at least the historic town of Llantwit Major is safe from marauding pirates. Thank the lord for all those rose-strewing women. Or ladies. (Here are some hints for the possible meaning of the name of this beer: Annwyl.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Next one of yesterday's (or was it Tuesday's - days just blend into each other) delivery from Williams Bros: Paradigm Shift 6.2%. Have I mentioned this is one of my favourite breweries? And yet this is the first time I've tasted this beer. It's a Red IPA, and if I hadn't poured it myself from bottle to glass, I'd have thought it was cask conditioned. (Except I'm not in a pub, etc.) Very smooth and malty, with subtly balanced hoppiness. Or should that be happiness?

Very impressive. I must get some more of their beers. Oh, wait a minute, I already have. There's forethought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... Williams Bros: Paradigm Shift 6.2%. Have I mentioned this is one of my favourite breweries?
    A very under rated brewery IMHO

Williams Bros: Paradigm Shift 6.2%. Have I mentioned this is one of my favourite breweries?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I don't know how anyone could not rate their beers. I think it's more that most people never come across them. I remember drinking their Ebulum 6.5% (elderberry ale) in the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak/Kentish Town about 10 years ago, and March of the Penguins in Remedy in Stockport in 2017. Apart from that, I can't remmeber seeing their beers on the bar except in Scotland or Berwick on Tweed.

When I mentioned Williams Bros to the owner of one of my local micropubs, he just gave me a blank look. Strangely, the only beer of theirs I don't think much of is Fraoch, the heather beer that got them started in 1988. (Too sweet for me, I guess.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Williams Bros...Have I mentioned this is one of my favourite breweries?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Did you know Aldi flog quite a few William Brothers beers? Admittedly, I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't shopped in-store since lockdown began, so I'm not sure what's currently available, but those I tried ( Klute and Hacienda, to name but two) I rather enjoyed. More info here:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/specia...aving-21672419
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Did you know Aldi flog quite a few William Brothers beers? Admittedly, I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't shopped in-store since lockdown began, so I'm not sure what's currently available, but those I tried ( Klute and Hacienda, to name but two) I rather enjoyed. More info here:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/specia...aving-21672419
    Thanks for that. Interestingly, the Daily Record journalist refers to the company as William Bros throughout - possibly influenced by the 33cl cans, where the logo obscures the S in Williams. Of the six beers shown in the advert, three are from their regular range and the other three (Hacienda, Golden Torch and Studio 54, are brewed for Aldi. I don't usually get beer from Aldi, but I might have a look.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Let's have a look at the blurb on the back of the label. "Chwerw traddiodiadol yw Idris sy'n defnyddio...", oh hang about, that's in Welsh. I'll just put it through Google translate. Here we go: "Idris is a traditional bitter brewed using the pure waters of the mountains and hills around Dolgellau, blended with freshly picked local grapefruit. A blend of malted barley and carefully selected late hops give soft caramel and spicy notes."
    Yeah, sorry about the Google translate snafu. No grapefruit. But a fantastic beer (if you like that sort of thing).
    Yes. I'd love to see the grapefruit groves near local snow-capped Cadre Idris!

A lovely drop tonight.
    20200627_193936.jpg
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

Well, to begin with last night, when I had yet another traditional English bitter: this one was by Northern Monk, in collaboration with Other Half, an American brewery. Yes, Northern Monk and English bitter in the same sentence. The beer is (most unimaginatively) called Best Bitter 4.3% and is made with Ernest and EKG hops. Ernest is a British hop with "clear 'New World' characteristics producing a complex flavour with predominantly fruity notes, especially apricot, citrus and spice." I bought a can from Sheffield market's bottle shop, Beer Central. It pours clear(-ish), frothy and with the startling orange colour that I recall from the first time I drank Shepherd Neame bitter in about 1979/80 - long before they started giving their beers names like Bishops Finger and Spitfire. Tastes nothing like what I can recall of that beer; it's what I would expect of a beer describing itself as a best bitter but made with a hop of "clear 'New World' characteristics". I read a review here which says"How have northern monk managed to make a beer that tastes like supping beer out of a well used ash tray not what I expected from the northern powerhouse". This person has clearly never (as I and countless others like me have done) accidently taken a drink from a can in which some bloody smoker has doused his tab end. Believe me, this beer does not taste anything like an ash tray. Apricots, quite possibly; ashtray, not really.

Prior to this I had another bottle of Allendale Wagtail 3.8%, which impressed me on its first appearance on Wednesday; I had it straight from my beer store, rather than chilling it slightly, and it was different in subtle ways but just as good if not better. Subsequently I went for a couple of 33cl cans of Harveys Black Stout 4.8%, which I bought in late May at a discounted price of just £25 for 24 cans as it was within a week of its Best Before date. It still tastes just as good now as it did then, and I've still got 10 more to drink.

So, on to tonight and I start off with probably the murkiest beer I have ever drunk. This is one of the delivery I received from Stori Beers in Bala the other day: Wild Horse Tramcar IPA 6.5%. This is version #5 of this beer, brewed in Llandudno using galaxy and citra hops, which apparently have "clear 'New World' characteristics" too! Bloody expensive hops they must be, because this 440ml can was £4. For a 6.5% beer it's certainly quaffable, with an initial kick of what most people describe as resinous pine needles and I usually refer to as WD40, the grapefruit just about restrained enough for my ashtray-damaged palate, and the tropical fruit not so overpowering that I'm regretting buying two cans of this beer. So, quite a success for the boys from North Wales.

More later (unless the "Please stop it!" petition gets enough signatures in the meantime).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A lovely drop tonight.
    20200627_193936.jpg
    That's the same beer that you had on 9 June, but in a different glass. Is that a new glass? That slogan "It's your world, pay attention" should be on everyone's lips these days. Instead there are millions of people buying SUVs that do about 100 yards to the gallon, Arctic sea ice is melting and polar bears will soon be extinct, Brazilian rainforests are being cut down to grow crops to feed to beef cattle, some of my neighbours seem to think it's OK to put their general rubbish in our shared paper & card recycling because they've used a F*CKING PAPER BAG TO PUT THEIR CRAP IN and, as if that's not enough, hornets are decapitating honey bees.

Sorry for hijacking your post, Mick. I feel better now.

Blame Hunter S Thompson. (Does he look like anyone in the news at all? Barnard Castle, perhaps?)

[Glad you enjoyed your beer.]
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 27-06-2020 at 20:28.
    Come On You Hatters!